Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Water meter Charges

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
Hi All,

I`ve had a water meter installed now for a month but will not be charged until after March on the actual water used.

I know that all areas have different tariffs for their water and sewage but i wanted to get a rough idea what it may cost me compared to my old unmetered bill.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost per cubic meter of water used including the sewage charge.

Cheers Bob.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi All,

I`ve had a water meter installed now for a month but will not be charged until after March on the actual water used.

I know that all areas have different tariffs for their water and sewage but i wanted to get a rough idea what it may cost me compared to my old unmetered bill.

Can anyone give me a rough idea of the cost per cubic meter of water used including the sewage charge.

Cheers Bob.

I used 54.7 cu m of water from 08 Dec - 23 May. This was charged at ave. £1 per cu m. (the price changed over that period). The standing charge was £12. The waste water was calculated at 92.5% so waste charged at 50.60 cu m at ave. £1.80 per cu m. Highway drainage was charged at £3.80 for that period.

Hope that helps. (we're a family of 5).

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've edited my post as I wasn't being very helpful and I have the bill in front of me by coincidence...

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Do what I do, since installing a meter I've been diluting the water .... there's always a way around these utility companies!

Last edited:

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
I used 54.7 cu m of water from 08 Dec - 23 May. This was charged at ave. £1 per cu m. (the price changed over that period). The standing charge was £12. The waste water was calculated at 92.5% so waste charged at 50.60 cu m at ave. £1.80 per cu m. Highway drainage was charged at £3.80 for that period.

Hope that helps. (we're a family of 5).

Thanks for that Bold Seagull just what i was after:thumbsup:

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Buy bottled water to keep the water bill down.....

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
or stay off a meter.......

I'm off a meter as we are a family of 5 and been told as a rule of thumb less that 4 in the household you would save money but more than 4 it would cost you more money.
Anyone if know if there is any truth is this ?
Any water workers on NSC?

xbakerbob

Aug 4, 2011
Basingstoke
I'm off a meter as we are a family of 5 and been told as a rule of thumb less that 4 in the household you would save money but more than 4 it would cost you more money.

All i`ve heard is that a couple on there own will be better off.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
If you live on your own you should definitely have a meter installed. I pay about a third of the amount I used to.

Lush

Mods' Pet
Hi All,

Cheers Bob.

Phone Southern Water? I've always found them really helpful - in fact the guy on the phone advised me NOT to get a meter as I was on a pretty good rate.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Phone Southern Water? I've always found them really helpful - in fact the guy on the phone advised me NOT to get a meter as I was on a pretty good rate.

I phoned SW when I had a leak in my service pipe & was overcharged by £300. The lady I spoke to asked me if I had a swimming pool - I live in a first floor flat!

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I live in a student house, so thinking about water is hardly the top thought of our minds and we probably waste a fair amount of water. However last year we weren't on a meter and this year we are and we are paying less money this year = more beer on a match day!

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If you live on your own you should definitely have a meter installed. I pay about a third of the amount I used to.

I aim to do this this year, I know I'm paying a lot more than I need to. As I have a 4 bed large detached house, but only me and 2 cats living here, I should be paying much less. If I can get the cats to pay their share - even better.

Your WC's website probably has a planning tool that enables you to estimate the cost of switching to a metered supply.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here