Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Water canons are the answer

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well said, Do people really think Russia,China and the USA will change their ways because of the demonstrations in this country?

No. That's why there were 2000 separate protests spanning 125 countries.
Also, protests aren't entirely devoted to changing things. An element of protest is to say "We do not agree with what you are doing and you need to hear that".

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
The Anthropocene has produced mass extinction, massive effect on the environment, global warming, sea level rise, pollution, habitat loss, coral death, the melting ice sheets, a divorce from the nature of existence ... and so much more. The power structures are too short term to deal with the implications. Our only choice is rebellion. Die-in somewhere tomorrow. https://rebellion.earth/event/international-mass-die-in-and-celebration/

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
What unremitting bollocks.
To blame the older generations and those before is just nonsense.
Think about what you are saying.
For instance, where would our forefathers have been without, let us say, the steam engine, the internal combustion engine and other inventions.
They cannot be blamed for extracting coal and minerals from the ground!
They didn't know that some know -it -all smug bearded eco warriors a hundred years down the line, would glue themselves to Waterloo Bridge and self righteously blame them and capitalism for all the world's ills.
What shit. You are spouting the old line of judging actions of the past by today's standards and knowledge. Ridiculous; and yes, if you extreme lefties are to survive, then good ol' technology, will play one hell of a part.

"The left" are as much to blame as much as "the right". The first protecting jobs, the second protecting profits. The "right" have now jumped on the "green bandwagon" because modern capitalism realises that 1) Reputation is incredibly important and 2) The young are their future consumers.

I'm not sure where you have been for the last 20 years if you think climate concerns are "left wing". Both Labour and Conservative are now struggling to make up lost ground.

The unfortunate truth is that Michael Gove has been probably the most radical Environmental politician we've had in power, but mainly that's cos he knows where the votes are.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
have just finished renovating the offices of a mining company in Perth ....the owner of the building and the new tenant of the floor that we did had a walk through yesterday and amongst all the comments re; oooh you've done a great job , looks like a new building etc . etc. they seemed to display some enthusiasm towards the immediate future in the mining industry.....i assumed that they were involved in the new lithium facilities that are starting up all over w.a.....but when i popped the question the reply was " no , coal is going great and iron ore also ".......my assertion that the best place for Australian coal was in the ground was met with blank , slightly shocked stares ......." but so many people depend on coal " was the answer........they were not aware of the crude oil spill in Borneo that has been pouring crap into the sea since 6th April......:shrug:....??? i asked them if they had seen the Barrier Reef or Ningaloo......again blank stares........almost made me feel guilty for taking their money but if i didn't somebody else would have ....am i part of the problem ....i have pretty strong environmental views but I'm afraid my experiences in far more densely populated countries than UK &Oz have left me with little hope for the future , a comment above about anti biotic resistance rings true .......it's the only hope the planet has really.....it will only take the planet about 15,000 years to cleanse itself of the ****ing mess we have made of it .Less than a blink of the eye for the planet and mother nature.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
have just finished renovating the offices of a mining company in Perth ....the owner of the building and the new tenant of the floor that we did had a walk through yesterday and amongst all the comments re; oooh you've done a great job , looks like a new building etc . etc. they seemed to display some enthusiasm towards the immediate future in the mining industry.....i assumed that they were involved in the new lithium facilities that are starting up all over w.a.....but when i popped the question the reply was " no , coal is going great and iron ore also ".......my assertion that the best place for Australian coal was in the ground was met with blank , slightly shocked stares ......." but so many people depend on coal " was the answer........they were not aware of the crude oil spill in Borneo that has been pouring crap into the sea since 6th April......:shrug:....??? i asked them if they had seen the Barrier Reef or Ningaloo......again blank stares........almost made me feel guilty for taking their money but if i didn't somebody else would have ....am i part of the problem ....i have pretty strong environmental views but I'm afraid my experiences in far more densely populated countries than UK &Oz have left me with little hope for the future , a comment above about anti biotic resistance rings true .......it's the only hope the planet has really.....it will only take the planet about 15,000 years to cleanse itself of the ****ing mess we have made of it .Less than a blink of the eye for the planet and mother nature.

A perfect example of the mindset of people involved in a polluting industry. The big question is how to change very quickly from using negative impact tesoutces to those that are positive.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
A perfect example of the mindset of people involved in a polluting industry. The big question is how to change very quickly from using negative impact tesoutces to those that are positive.

cant change quickly, if at all, and continue to use the same amount of energy. we can reduce some use, low hanging fruit mostly taken now. what will we give up, do we ration power use so we use only as much as can be generated by wind, solar? nuclear is a long term option if people accept it.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
The ones who invented those things, yes, you can not blame them as they didn't know. HOWEVER, we have known for decades that we are desteoying the planet and previous generations continued to do it to make a quick buck. Those generations we CAN blame.

Blame achieves nothing. Go find a solution that the masses will work with.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Judging by the OP's previous threads I've seen, he should turn a water cannon on himself in a attempt to wash away the stench of constant Trolling.

Surprisingly I have no idea what "trolling" means. I googled it, but am none the wiser.

My original post was my opinion as to how to deal with the protesters in London. Is there some NSC rule about not being able to post opinions on here? My post would appear to have started a lively debate. Surely that's a good thing?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
D5HIc5gWAAEi_mG.jpg

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Meanwhile as a few of you suggest that protest is for ‘lefties’

“The chance that there will be any permanent ice left in the Arctic after 2022 is essentially zero,” Anderson said, with 75 to 80 percent of permanent ice having melted already in the last 35 years.

The level of carbon now in the atmosphere hasn’t been seen in 12 million years, a Harvard scientist said in Chicago Thursday, and this pollution is rapidly pushing the climate back to its state in the Eocene Epoch, more than 33 million years ago, when there was no ice on either pole.

“We have exquisite information about what that state is, because we have a paleo record going back millions of years, when the earth had no ice at either pole. There was almost no temperature difference between the equator and the pole,” said James Anderson, a Harvard University professor of atmospheric chemistry best known for establishing that chlorofluorocarbons were damaging the Ozone Layer.

“The ocean was running almost 10ºC warmer all the way to the bottom than it is today,” Anderson said of this once-and-future climate, “and the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere would have meant that storm systems would be violent in the extreme, because water vapor, which is an exponential function of water temperature, is the gasoline that fuels the frequency and intensity of storm systems.”

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2018/01/15/carbon-pollution-has-shoved-the-climate-backward-at-least-12-million-years-harvard-scientist-says/#7ff2a89d963e

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Two of these posts actually have no meaning, or even context.........please return when you can communicate using the English language good chap. Till then, run along........

as ever, quality input, focused like a laser on the issue in hand, extremely helpful

D

Deleted member 2719

Is your wealth creation carbon free and of assistance to the young
Yes is yours???

Creating wealth and opportunity? You do realise that isn't sustainable don't you? It is an impossibility to maintain growth rates to sustain profitability! Last year the world used all of its resources by August 1st. So from August 2nd everything used was beyond what the planet could supply. The great con is those 'working class' who support the Tories. If the USA gets the trade deal it wants then forget about those hard won employee working conditions and a free NHS. Real unemployment is actually double what is officially recorded and real wage growth is non existent. 2/3rds of the jobs boom has also come from growth in atypical work, such as self-employment, work on zero-hours contracts and agency work, according to analysis by the Resolution Foundation thinktank. The reality is that people have less job security for less pay that covers less than it did a decade ago.

Standard copy and paste leftie response.

Please please please go check some of Moulds suggestions.. he lives in a very scary world

Come on man my world as safe as it can be, this world will never be a safe world with brainwashed religions killing people.

Edited for you.

Would you like to expand on how I destroy the environment any more than the next man or woman???

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Yes is yours???

Standard copy and paste leftie response.

Come on man my world as safe as it can be, this world will never be a safe world with brainwashed religions killing people.

Would you like to expand on how I destroy the environment any more than the next man or woman???

So Mouldy is suggesting that its possible to maintain the growth rates we have today that is affecting the environment so badly plus he wants less workers rights and an end to free healthcare.. Can only imagine you fantasise about sucking Trump's dick..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here