Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Watching the game with a Palace fan

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think the issues for CPFC sit with their manager being very negative, they have reasonable players but zero ambition

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
So I just finished watching the match with my cousin who's a palace fan and he's fuming not because of the result but because of how much dominant we were. He said and I quote

" It's embarrassing but it would have been more embarrassing if we won, getting dominated at home to Brighton in the premier league with the players we have is unacceptable we play the type of football that makes a Tony Pulis team look modern. I would kill to have a manager like Potter at Palace"

It is worth saying he's a pessimistic fan anyways but still.

No doubt he says something similar after every game. They are shit.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Think the issues for CPFC sit with their manager being very negative, they have reasonable players but zero ambition

They know that they're stable with Roy they are unlikely to go down. However, many said the same about Moyes and Pulis and they took teams down. They tried switching to a more exciting brand of football with De Boar but they don't have the players or the patience to take the risk.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Palace are a strange side. Season after season they trot out abysmal performances (normally at home) yet season after season they comfortably stay up. Very rarely they will throw in a stunning away win to keep people guessing (Man City , Man Utd)

I really wouldn't want to watch their style of play yet they do have some good players. Must be baffling to support them

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hope you gave the area a good wipe down and sterilising afterwards.

[MENTION=41469]Nameless[/MENTION] and his Missus welcoming Palace fans into their house for the game today.

433DDE6E-4B74-4CA6-A9E7-39C006EB198A.jpeg

theboybilly

Well, Palace have largely cracked it. Defensively they are very compact and solid, going forward they have Zaha who is dangerous, Batshuayi who can't stand up and Townsend who is significantly more intelligent then any defender he'll come up against. He knows he's in a world on his own so he runs into space, lets others catch up and makes defenders give him fouls, throw ins, corners or let him cross a ball into the box knowing that his mates will probably find some way to engineer a penalty.

If Stuart Atwell (is a wanker) is the referee then they'll get at least 1 penalty per match and that might be enough.

I'm all for the progressive football, and clearly it was better watching us than that shower today. But I know who I imagine will be higher in the table at the end of the season, and probably more likely to have a decent run in the FA Cup. The main emotion for me today was frustration at how ineffective we were against a team with one tactic.

I thought Potter was a tactician? He didn't know that we didn't need a centre back in midfield to combat the no threat at all Palace's midfield has?

Cant agree with most of that. We did enough to win most games and certainly enough for today. The penalty only changed things in that it gave Palace a boost and something to defend. Potter a tactition? I certainly think so on that showing. It must be as frustrating for him as it is for the rest of us that some of our players are so reluctant to pull the trigger. Quite what you didn't see in White's midfield display is hard to fathom too. Potter saw no need to change things until it became clear players were tiring a little and the momentum maintained. The Albion were excellent today in every department apart from getting shots away. That was a 2 or 3-0 performance all day long. More dominant than at St. James' Park imho

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I honestly don't see how you can try and deflect it to us when your team had one shot from a penalty which wasn't even a penalty.

Nothing against [MENTION=33885]Badger Boy[/MENTION] but he is very negative and critical. Glad you’ve pointed out he’s deflected those stats which show how much we dominated the game onto us. Yes BB our finishing wasn’t good, but those stats make horrendous reading for the scum.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
All well and good, but at the end of the day that's three games on the trot we've dominated them completely and not won any of them. Becoming rather frustrating this whole dominating games and not winning lark

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
All well and good, but at the end of the day that's three games on the trot we've dominated them completely and not won any of them. Becoming rather frustrating this whole dominating games and not winning lark

It'll come luck hasn't exactly been with us recently.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree, hopefully Welbeck will make a difference if we can get him fit.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

As two of them were against Manchester United and the league leaders, surely not that bad really.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
As two of them were against Manchester United and the league leaders, surely not that bad really.

No, certainly not all that bad, we did have a lot of games follow a similar pattern last year too though so it does feel like it's been a good while now of struggling to capitalise on possession and playing well.

More optimistic this season though that we can start to see results... pleased with how we're developing...!

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Nothing against [MENTION=33885]Badger Boy[/MENTION] but he is very negative and critical. Glad you’ve pointed out he’s deflected those stats which show how much we dominated the game onto us. Yes BB our finishing wasn’t good, but those stats make horrendous reading for the scum.

I am very critical, because we did not win (again) against a rubbish Crystal Palace team that entered our box about three times throughout the match. But we did not trouble the goalkeeper at all, Maupay hit a shot from the edge of the area which was essentially a backpass. He rolled one toward the goal which was easily stopped. Guaita is not a great goalkeeper but other than the Mac Allister strike, he was not put under any real pressure. If he had been, we'd have won the game. Same as last season where we dominated the whole match but didn't do enough in the final 3rd.

On paper, we are very good. On the pitch, we are winning about 1 in 5 matches. This is because for all the good statistics, we are not winning matches. That is no more negative than it is a valid and fair reflection on the current state of our results. Our performances are very good, our results are very poor unless you believe we should only ever be under the impression that we should be somewhere between 15th and 17th every season.

Finally, I would say that I am not negative about the football club. I am not happy with Graham Potter's performance. This club is set up very impressively off the pitch and the squad assembled on the pitch is incredible. I believe that other managers would be getting an awful lot more from the footballers than Potter is. I believe he is the weakest link in the chain at the club but this is his show. His squad, his tactics, his decisions. He has been here over a year but the problems are the same. We aren't getting put away in many games, but we also aren't able to put distance between us and our opposition. Except at Newcastle where we were fortunate to score twice in 10 minutes.

We have to get a ruthless streak in the final third and win games in 10/15/20 minute spells when we are totally on top, like we were pretty much all match today without ever really putting them under the sort of pressure that results in goals being scored.

I don't expect people to agree, I'm simply giving my honest assessment of the match and our performances under this manager.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Once Palace get their noses in front with, say, a gift of a penalty, they’re one of the toughest teams around to get anything from.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Tell him to read our match day thread on here. Plenty of Brighton fans losing their beans too despite limiting Palace to one shot (a penalty) on goal. Might cheer him up a bit?

Yep one of those "fans" has started a thread on that very subject, Don't worry he won't post on here as he didn't start the thread.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I am very critical, because we did not win (again) against a rubbish Crystal Palace team that entered our box about three times throughout the match. But we did not trouble the goalkeeper at all, Maupay hit a shot from the edge of the area which was essentially a backpass. He rolled one toward the goal which was easily stopped. Guaita is not a great goalkeeper but other than the Mac Allister strike, he was not put under any real pressure. If he had been, we'd have won the game. Same as last season where we dominated the whole match but didn't do enough in the final 3rd.

On paper, we are very good. On the pitch, we are winning about 1 in 5 matches. This is because for all the good statistics, we are not winning matches. That is no more negative than it is a valid and fair reflection on the current state of our results. Our performances are very good, our results are very poor unless you believe we should only ever be under the impression that we should be somewhere between 15th and 17th every season.

Finally, I would say that I am not negative about the football club. I am not happy with Graham Potter's performance. This club is set up very impressively off the pitch and the squad assembled on the pitch is incredible. I believe that other managers would be getting an awful lot more from the footballers than Potter is. I believe he is the weakest link in the chain at the club but this is his show. His squad, his tactics, his decisions. He has been here over a year but the problems are the same. We aren't getting put away in many games, but we also aren't able to put distance between us and our opposition. Except at Newcastle where we were fortunate to score twice in 10 minutes.

We have to get a ruthless streak in the final third and win games in 10/15/20 minute spells when we are totally on top, like we were pretty much all match today without ever really putting them under the sort of pressure that results in goals being scored.

I don't expect people to agree, I'm simply giving my honest assessment of the match and our performances under this manager.

GP has achieved our highest Premier League point total in his first season whilst completely transforming our clubs footballing philosophy and style. We also now compete in all games home and away (unlike the Hughton back to the wall days). So that’s worth remembering. The challenge this season is to improve on that.

In that context, judging after 5 games of a new season doesn’t make sense.

Im dissatisfied with today’s result too. But I’m not sure what your overall expectations are. You think we should have turned over billionaires Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
GP has achieved our highest Premier League point total in his first season whilst completely transforming our clubs footballing philosophy and style. We also now compete in all games home and away (unlike the Hughton back to the wall days). So that’s worth remembering. The challenge this season is to improve on that.

In that context, judging after 5 games of a new season doesn’t make sense.

Im dissatisfied with today’s result too. But I’m not sure what your overall expectations are. You think we should have turned over billionaires Chelsea, Everton and Man Utd?

Spot on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here