Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watching 'Ref Watch' on SSN

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Why "like a girl". My daughter plays rugby and has been kicked in the face (bringing up a splendid black eye) and has trampled on several times, with stud marks up her leg. She's never cried, rolled around on the floor or left the field, just carried on playing. That seems to be the norm among the girls she plays with, so why bring girls into it?

Spot on :thumbsup:

I think he meant to say 'like an utter woofter'.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Why "like a girl". My daughter plays rugby and has been kicked in the face (bringing up a splendid black eye) and has trampled on several times, with stud marks up her leg. She's never cried, rolled around on the floor or left the field, just carried on playing. That seems to be the norm among the girls she plays with, so why bring girls into it?

I refer to children as "boys and girls" and adults as "men and women".

When I wrote "cry like a girl" I was daring to make a jokey mocking of myself that my crying would be akin to that of a generic 3year old girl bawling her eyes out.

I hope when someone foul throws at a match and someone shouts they "throw like a girl" you also inform them of the female rugby teams prowess.

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Spot on :thumbsup:

I think he meant to say 'like an utter woofter'.

:lolol:

My family has Italian heritage yet I have no issue with someone else saying a player is rolling around like an Italian......despite me never seeing my nan fall to the floor clasping her face before waving an imaginary yellow card.

Why bring Italians into it.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
And it strikes me how PATHETIC the modern footballer is.

Time and time again, we see someone receiving a glancing blow, similar to what you might feel if you brush against a FEATHER, who then collapses to the floor as if they have been BLUDGEONED with a lump hammer. They then roll around, seemingly at death's door, only to spring up when they see that the referee has brandished a yellow card at the perpetrator.

There is a whole lot wrong with modern football, but this shameful play-acting is one of the most serious blights on our game.

Rant over. Carry on.

My pet hate about football.

The problem is that as the game became about more skill than our traditional football had been, the laws were brought in to stop these skillful players from being booted out of the game by the opposition (under the guise that fans want to see the skillful players performing and not injured)

However, this move to protect them has had the opposite affect, it now pays to cheat, to throw yourself to the floor at every opportunity and to roll around (or grab the ball) forcing the ref to make a decision which is normally at least a free kick and sadly as a result, we don't get to see these skillful players performing and showing off their skills which was why the rules were brought in (Gareth Bale was one of the worst when at Spurs)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From yesterday's race:-

If it hasn't 'saved' at the right time 1:40.

That's nothing when compared to having a motorbike crashing into you.
Also from yesterday.

I can't work out why footballers aren't embarrassed?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Even if I got THUMPED in the face I would be hugely embarrassed if I actually ROLLED around on the floor. I'd hold my face and probably cry like a girl......but at no point would rolling around seem the logical thing.

Can someone who has been punched tell me if that is a natural reaction?
Difficult to say, as we're all different. I'm happy to punch you if it helps.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't roll around like a little girl if I got punched. I'd just have a little sleep.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
You obviously were not punched very hard or properly. In my youth I have been felled many times with 1 punch and may I add done the same to others. I must admit never on a football pitch
Is that because there's a restraining order preventing you from being within 200 yards of any football pitch?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
From yesterday's race:-

If it hasn't 'saved' at the right time 1:40.

That's nothing when compared to having a motorbike crashing into you.
Also from yesterday.

I can't work out why footballers aren't embarrassed?

I can't work out why the rider at the end of the 2nd clip seems to be having a go at the motorbike? Seems to me they do quite a good job stopping suddenly without really going into any of the riders or the crowd...

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Blimey, don't show Neil Lennon this thread, apparently football in Britain is "'too honest' when it comes to football diving": http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03q7vll

Personally, I'd be in favour of one match bans for diving - which can be applied by review after the game whatever the ref gave at the time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What gets me is complete inability of any commentator to criticise it.

Why can't they just say they are play acting/cheating/attention seeking/time wasting etc etc etc.

Instead we get pathetic justifications as how they may have been "caught" and how it "looked painful".

Sky and BT Sport are the symptom and cause of the problem.
I agree with your sentiment, but Sky aren't the cause of the problem (and BT have just started), this came from overseas. There's no point trying to fix the problem over here, if it's not going to get fixed internationally. We'll just lose out when opponents do it at international level. The problem needs to be addressed by FIFA (which itself needs binning).

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Would it ruin the game by introducing a panel of 3 judges to review any major incidents post-game?

For example, a blatant diver, if found 'guilty' post-game, could face a 1 match ban.
A player who continually dives within the same season will earn a points deduction for his team.

Seems a big leap, but can't think of any other solution.

They do something like this in the NBA. You get incremental fines during the season for 'flopping'.

I prefer your idea though of a suspension/points deduction, punish the whole team and watch how fast it stops.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can't work out why the rider at the end of the 2nd clip seems to be having a go at the motorbike? Seems to me they do quite a good job stopping suddenly without really going into any of the riders or the crowd...
Because last week a rider was killed by one of the motorbikes, it hit the rider as he was involved in a crash.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here