Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Watches

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I love Swatch watches. I have seven in different sizes and different colours to match what I’m wearing. They are a fashion accessory but that’s why I have them.
They’ve been birthday, Christmas presents or just ones I’ve seen at the airport and liked. I can look at each one and know which memory is associated with it.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yeah I do understand why some people are into them. It's just that the basic function of a watch (telling the time) is kinda irrelevant now that everyone has a phone.

So it's a trinket/fashion item basically. As I said, nothing wrong with that (although it doesn't surprise me that our pompous, latin quoting Leeds dick is a big fan [emoji23]).

Each to their own. Lots of people drive terrible cars "well it gets me from A to B" and I can't understand that mentality.

Problem with pulling my pone out to check the time is I always end up scrolling through some shite or another, putting my phone away and forgetting what the time is :lolol:

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Interesting thanks. The hands and numerals do still glow in the dark though not radioactive bright!

I thought that too, but didn't want to say as I thought it might affect your enjoyment of what is a lovely and interesting watch.

But now it has been said by someone else it is worth emphasising that you really need to look out for repainted dials, and incorrect movements when buying vintage watches. The so called "Frankenwatches" (after Frankenstein).

There are a lot of rogues out there, it is such a shame. A repainted dial seriously affects the value as originality is prized, even in a distressed state. Having said that if you aren't worried about an eventual resale, a lot of people prefer a repainted dial over the old and fading one insisted on by purists.

I think it makes your watch more interesting, if anything, and you have a great movement inside that Tudor if it is original.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought that too, but didn't want to say as I thought it might affect your enjoyment of what is a lovely and interesting watch.

But now it has been said by someone else it is worth emphasising that you really need to look out for repainted dials, and incorrect movements when buying vintage watches. The so called "Frankenwatches" (after Frankenstein).

There are a lot of rogues out there, it is such a shame. A repainted dial seriously affects the value as originality is prized, even in a distressed state. Having said that if you aren't worried about an eventual resale, a lot of people prefer a repainted dial over the old and fading one insisted on by purists.

I think it makes your watch more interesting, if anything, and you have a great movement inside that Tudor if it is original.

Again, interesting to get opinions from those that are almost certainly more knowledgeable than me, but do you reckon all these are refurbished? Most images I’ve seen from a similar vintage Oyster look very similar to mine other than the Rolex logo (which in fairness probably means that you and [MENTION=28061]Nitram[/MENTION] are correct in your assumption)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...BAgSEC0&biw=1261&bih=898#imgrc=j6RfEJ5trCDj-M

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Again, interesting to get opinions from those that are almost certainly more knowledgeable than me, but do you reckon all these are refurbished? Most images I’ve seen from a similar vintage Oyster look very similar to mine other than the Rolex logo (which in fairness probably means that you and [MENTION=28061]Nitram[/MENTION] are correct in your assumption)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=1...BAgSEC0&biw=1261&bih=898#imgrc=j6RfEJ5trCDj-M

It is impossible to say. I was mugged off buying a vintage Longines with a repainted dial, as I said earlier in the thread and maybe that colours my view so as to be constantly cynical.

Touching up dials doesn't have to be fraudulent. A lot of people prefer a vintage watch that looks brand new because of a shiny new dial, (called a refurbishment) and as long as everyone knows what they are getting, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Check these out... https://sonningvintagewatches.com/

They are just not my thing.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
What's the experts opinion of Junghan's watches? I quite like the look of the Max Bills and have been considering one. I have two Tissot's at the moment but apparently they are the devil incarnate and a load of crap to boot. :whistle:

I came about 2 seconds away from buying a Rolex a few years ago, but couldn't get myself to shell out. I was too scared to actually wear it. Which I thought defeated the object of it.

I have a mate that has just got hold of a New Hulk. Seems the wait list has vanished due to covid. Very nice, but I can't shell out the list price for that. So the Junghans are more my price range.

Junghans are great, check out Junkers too...

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Yes the clear glass is a triumph. Something Rolex can't do.

Don't get me wrong about Rolex by the way. They are an amazing brand. They make more watches than Omega (or anyone else not mass market as far as I know) and yet still can't meet demand so their watches appreciate.

Considering they are a relative newbie company by Swiss watchmaking standards, their success in so dominating the luxury market is phenomenal. As an investment a vintage Rolex would never be a mistake.

It is just that it is marketing. That is what they are so superb at. All the (meaningless) "Superlative Chronometer" bollocks. They aren't interesting in a horological sense, apart from their first rate cases, they aren't ground breaking at all. To me they resemble Apple, nothing spectacular about their technology, but a corporate and marketing behemoth that conquered the world and made themselves "must have."

Spot on there... although I would love a Subby.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
It's amazing. Some of the repeat offenders on there need their money taking off them.

Did you notice how many Rolexes there were? And how few Omega, or IWC, or Jaeger Le Coultre?

I rest my case! :D

If you are interested in being thought a wanker, getting mugged, and love a mediocre movement, buy a Rolex.

But if you want a classy, tasteful, understated watch that won't attract the criminal fraternity but will earn you the respect of anyone who knows about and loves watches get one of the above. Then it is hard to go too wrong. The standard of workmanship is exceptional in all of them and they will last you a lifetime, and be enjoyed by your children, and maybe even your grandchildren if taken care of.

What quartz watch can you say that of? They are disposable, ephemeral.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Did you notice how many Rolexes there were? And how few Omega, or IWC, or Jaeger Le Coultre?

If you are interested in being thought a wanker, getting mugged, and love a mediocre movement, buy a Rolex.

But if you want a classy, tasteful, understated watch that won't attract the criminal fraternity but will earn you the respect of anyone who knows about and loves watches get one of the above. Then it is hard to go too wrong. The standard of workmanship is exceptional in all of them and they will last you a lifetime, and be enjoyed by your children, and maybe even your grandchildren if taken care of.

Almost exclusively Rolex, Breitling and Hublot. The guy with the B tattoo on his hand, and the Italian chap who for some reason is always doing his jacket up are my favourites.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
In-house SG servicing is definitely dearer than independents - it’s no different to main dealer car servicing, in that regard.

Not true that they completely restrict spare parts though. Swiss Time Services, for one, use genuine Omega parts. They are headed up by the former head of the SG UK service centre, Nick Towndrow - who (while at the SG) established the British School of Watchmaking (still financially supported by the SG) to train the next generation of watchmakers - quite the opposite of ‘killing the profession’ :shrug:

Need you on the pub quiz team. Top knowledge

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Wait- did you really just explain the origin of the term "Frankenwatches" to us? Really?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
So just how many watches does a man need? I read an article recently which suggested that 4 should really cover all bases. Not by accident it's theories reassuringly aligned with my own view. In this article it was discounting collectors with deep pockets who might typically be only interested in high end brands like Rolex, Breitling etc.

So the theory goes like this and you need a formal/ informal sports chronograph, a formal dress watch, a fashion watch and then a rugged day time watch like G shock.

IMG_20201007_131845.jpg

Here's how I cover this and you don't need to spend silly money and risk getting robbed!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Obviously I'm in a minority but I'm very meh when it comes to watches [and any jewelry too for that matter]

I tend to buy a new one every five years or so, usually from Argos, and never pay more than a tenner.
It's time to replace with a new one when the battery expires or the imitation leather strap gives up.
Always keeps good time and can usually even tell me the date but since I don't bother winding it on for months with less than 31 days I rely on my phone or PC.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I have no gripe with a quartz watch . . . as an every day work watch, particularly if you work in a hostile environment. not everyone sits at a keyboard. But I agree they are a tad souless compared to a real mechanical watch. I have a rotary SS cased thing, works superbly and has survived garages, working on cars etc for over 20 years now. looks quite respectable doing it cost abot £100 . . . the thinking mans Rolex ;-)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In-house SG servicing is definitely dearer than independents - it’s no different to main dealer car servicing, in that regard.

Not true that they completely restrict spare parts though. Swiss Time Services, for one, use genuine Omega parts. They are headed up by the former head of the SG UK service centre, Nick Towndrow - who (while at the SG) established the British School of Watchmaking (still financially supported by the SG) to train the next generation of watchmakers - quite the opposite of ‘killing the profession’ :shrug:

I'll have to remember them. About 10 years ago, one of my Omega's stopped working and the watchmaker I'd used previously (based in Worthing) told me that Omega had stopped supplying parts and that it had to go to Omega to be fixed. IIRC the service was about £350 (and that was 10 years ago) :eek:

Last year I had the winder break off another Omega, and got the same story from a couple of watchmakers I tried. Luckily, a mate had a watchmaker in Essex who fixed it for £80. I only currently have two Omega's, a de ville that I wear everyday and a 1967 Rose Gold Constellation Chronometer for special occasions. Both are of sentimental value to me (engagement present from Wife 30+ years ago, and inherited from my late Step Father who bought it when he was working in Libya).

I'm dreading either of those going wrong and having to go to Omega, so Swiss Time Services may be a (slightly cheaper) alternative :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here