Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Watch your speed!

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Not a smog build up, but cars release 2 - 3 times as much NO2 and PM10 at 20mph than at 30mph. So yes, the 20mph speed limit will lead to more deaths. Air pollution is the second biggest single cause of premature deaths in the uk after smoking.

I'm an air quality consultant by the way.

Genuine question! I work in the middle of Brighton where the cars move at a snails speed. I am always outside on the streets, am i in danger of a premature death and if so how can i protect myself. Like I said I'm not looking for a argument but what your saying has made me think.
PS I'm not a traffic warden is case your wondering.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Genuine question! I work in the middle of Brighton where the cars move at a snails speed. I am always outside on the streets, am i in danger of a premature death and if so how can i protect myself. Like I said I'm not looking for a argument but what your saying has made me think.

I recall watching something about this on TV ages ago.
They were using a carbon-monoxide meter and discovered that walking on the side of the pavement furthest from the road [traffic / fumes] made a significant reduction to the levels - as opposed to walking right next to the kerb.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Interesting question! I am quite junior tbh and it's incredibly complicated!

Air quality varies a lot depending on 1) the weather, 2) the time of day, 3) the day of the week, 4) precise location and many other variables. I think vulnerable groups (elderly, young, sick) are far more susceptible to pollution issues. Take a look at
http://www.sussex-air.net/ for more info on local air pollution. Pollution levels do decrease significantly with distance from the road and with height.

It's a rapidly evolving science... but I think a lot more public awareness is needed. Over 10% of deaths in some London boroughs are attributable to air pollution.

£1.99

Mar 3, 2008
Interesting question! I am quite junior tbh and it's incredibly complicated!

Air quality varies a lot depending on 1) the weather, 2) the time of day, 3) the day of the week, 4) precise location and many other variables. I think vulnerable groups (elderly, young, sick) are far more susceptible to pollution issues. Take a look at
http://www.sussex-air.net/ for more info on local air pollution. Pollution levels do decrease significantly with distance from the road and with height.

It's a rapidly evolving science... but I think a lot more public awareness is needed. Over 10% of deaths in some London boroughs are attributable to air pollution.

Not many on here will agree with this but maybe this is a reason why cars should be discouraged from blocking up city centre's.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I'm not so worried about the cars, you should see the black smoke thrown out by some of the buses that are allegedly ,a cleaner alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here