Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm so chuffed that everyone's learning how to deal with him.. :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think Superphil was there. History Man was there accepting the award for Sarah.

Paging [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION]: it would be good to hear about the event from someone who was there. How was the general vibe given the mediocre season etc...

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah it would be great to get a first hand account of the event from someone who was actually there, sat at one of the tables, with their name on the seat plan.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I totally forgot about that 'Get to the Amex' video from last year. And it does make me a bit sad.

Can anyone with the requisite video editing skills put together a 14/15 LOWlights package?

D

Deleted User X18H

Paging [MENTION=268]Superphil[/MENTION]: it would be good to hear about the event from someone who was there. How was the general vibe given the mediocre season etc...

Try lugworm ;)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah it would be great to get a first hand account of the event from someone who was actually there, sat at one of the tables, with their name on the seat plan.
I agree it would be nice to hear what the evening was like, but I can't imaging anyone being enough of a tw@ to post their name on the seating plan.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

As has been said elsewhere on the thread it is a fantastic thing that our little old club has something like this, I know 'Premier League Ready' is scoffed at, but you know what, off the field we really are.

There was plenty of talk amongst the guests about the season, how ironic it was that we were having a Player awards event, but I guess the spin and sugar coating that Barber has instilled into the club was the saving grace. That and Edward David organising for seven of the players from the 1965 title winning side to be in attendance, all meant that the evening had some highlights.

The Women's team were there in force, even if most of them forgot to put many clothes on (no pics, sorry) but they got a good bit of screen time and the manager and PoS (Fliss?) we're well received.

The Powerchair player, Matt Francis, was a charming lad, very eloquent and gracious at receiving his award, and namechecked REMF for it's contribution to supporting the Powerchair team. A very good friend of mines son also plays in the team so we had the chance to chat with them all. Matt is in training at St George's park very soon with a view to going to the World Cup playing for England.

The old boys from '65 were on the table next to us and we had the chance to talk to a few of them, Steve Burtenshaw was a great character, the Calde of his time perhaps? The player who flew in from Canada (sorry, forgot his name) was tearful when he was on the mike, quite overwhelmed by the Amex, and the fact that his old club had been so transformed.

The goal and player of the season were foregone conclusions. If I had to voice a concern it was that I thought Calde sounded a little cagey/resigned about his future. Tex was certainly saying Cheerio, but got a sneaky dig in "the players were always telling me I should track back, so when I did look what happened", all said with a smile, and I think he enjoyed his time for sure.

The TB and MP thing did seem quite awkward but I do think it came as a surprise to Martin, the comment (by TB) about the hotel was tongue in cheek, I do get the feeling that TB loves this club as much as he ever did.

The situation on the pitch was skirted around by everyone until right at the end when RR made one reference to the season not having gone as planned and hoping for a turn around next season, I imagine that was probably stage managed to ensure the rest of the event wasn't marred by uncomfortable truths or criticism coming out.

Spoke with a few of the players after, I know you expect them to say so, but they certainly are approaching the last two games with winning in mind.

Andy Naylor sat on our table, he didn't rise to comments from those around us asking about his comments in the Argos yesterday, and spent 90% of the evening in conversation with Nick Szechpanik (sp?).

Yes there was fact avoidance, but the club did it well, the chief protagonists are professional, and seem to know what they are doing. Let's hope the scouting and recruitment processes have had an overhaul and can perform as well as the board and management we saw last night.

All views are my views, if anyone saw it differently then that's your view and I respect it.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
People are saying Tex was saying goodbye, and I'm sure he was, but perhaps not a permanent goodbye.

I'm sure all he is really thinking about is getting back after his injury, and not taking anything else for granted. I wouldn't rule out seeing him back here at some point.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I wasn't there but Mancgull's dad (Bill Chester) was interviewed and filmed as part of the section on the club Doctor, Rob Galloway. He was invited to the training ground a couple of weeks ago to be filmed. Was given a guided tour afterwards. The Club do these things well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here