Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wasted Talent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re Duffy, I was never too sure about him. Yes, he did have a reputation for his Friday nights out, but he never really looked the part and was naturally far too dumpy to be a winger.

Duffy's a good call. He was meant to be a big talent for Newcastle but his, er, lifestyle prevented him realising his potential up there. Anyone who saw his goal against Bradford City would have known that he could play a bit but he didn't realise his potential here either.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Strange choice: I'd have said Keegan was the exact opposite of a wasted talent: a player who didn't have the greatest natural talent in the world but made the absolute most of what he had

And you’d be right.

Ludicrous suggestion.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
For anyone too young to remember Matt Le Tissier, do yourself a favour and watch this. Ask yourself how this guy didn’t play more than 8 times for England.

https://youtu.be/lRwhiNf0YIY

You can’t beat a compilation of Le Tissier goals.
There is no comparison.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Robert Codner.
Could, maybe should, have been so much more.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed.

For some reason l always equate Jamie Vardy to be the new Kevin Keegan, two players who had to do it the hard way, Vardy from non league of course, and Keegan from lowly Scunthorpe.

Two players who made it to the very pinnacle from modest beginnings.

Also Stuart Pearce, Ray Clemence and Ian Wright.

Humble footballing beginnings, making them all the more appreciative and hard working professionals.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not having Owen Hargreaves - injury robbed him of his peak years but he was an incredible player and easily our best player at 2002 World Cup, when he was playing on the left of midfield out of position. Whilst not flashy he was incredibly technical, an intellectual footballer who had it all.... except for functioning knee ligaments

I stand corrected.

My reason for inclusion was that he is reported to have been way the fittest player in the squad, always coming top for everything fitnesswise, whereas, in my eyes anyway, he was decent, but not head and shoulders the best player in the squad.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Duffy's a good call. He was meant to be a big talent for Newcastle but his, er, lifestyle prevented him realising his potential up there. Anyone who saw his goal against Bradford City would have known that he could play a bit but he didn't realise his potential here either.

My first Albion game.

As a result , I idolised Alan Duffy.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You can’t beat a compilation of Le Tissier goals.
There is no comparison.

Lockdown? Replace the PL with clips from Le Tissier’s career.
He was just magic. They used to rave about Gascoigne but Le Tiss’s goals and skill were just sublime. For me, almost as good as Cantona. More fool England management for not playing him more. If he could play like that for Southampton, he had nothing to prove with one of the bigger clubs.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That list you quoted is actually a list of players who overachieved their talent through hard work, the opposite of those who wasted their talent. 2006 World Cup, wasn't it? He was the only England player who turned up.

Quite.

And yet I apologised!

(I always assume it's me that's cocked up -weird fact).

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Lockdown? Replace the PL with clips from Le Tissier’s career.
He was just magic. They used to rave about Gascoigne but Le Tiss’s goals and skill were just sublime. For me, almost as good as Cantona. More fool England management for not playing him more. If he could play like that for Southampton, he had nothing to prove with one of the bigger clubs.

The greatest scorer of great goals in the history of football IMO.
The one v Newcastle. That is just silly.

JonnyCLately

Jan 16, 2018
Shoreham by sea
That list you quoted is actually a list of players who overachieved their talent through hard work, the opposite of those who wasted their talent. 2006 World Cup, wasn't it? He was the only England player who turned up.

Yes I know - I am saying that he didn't overachieve through hard work. He was prodigiously talented and his style may not have been flashy but he was definitely not an overachiever vs talent. His talent may have been lost through injury but I understood the original post well enough

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I once read a 20 page article about Frank Worthingtons adventures in Sweden... great read, great personality.

He spent six months on loan at Mjällby, in those six months he produced a kid - "Frank Worthington Junior" - and his teammate Anders Linderoths comment pretty much sums it up:

""He was very, very nice but not too interested in working... When we trained he was laying on the beach. Sometimes he came around in bathing shorts and watched us."

Here’s a short piece I wrote (loosely) about Frank’s time at Brighton - on the Articles section of NSC.

https://www.northstandchat.com/content.php?125-Faded-Glories

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Yes I know - I am saying that he didn't overachieve through hard work. He was prodigiously talented and his style may not have been flashy but he was definitely not an overachiever vs talent. His talent may have been lost through injury but I understood the original post well enough

I stand corrected. I have to say his performances in the 2006 World Cup were so far ahead of the rest of the "Golden Generation" that it was silly.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
What was the name of the young geordie lad we had in the 90’s - apparently was destined for greatness but went off the rails ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here