Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wasted Talent.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
On an international scale - probably the biggest example of this is Adriano. Should have been the best in the world but off field issues meant it wasn't to be.

Can also add two players who broke the world transfer record at the time - Lentini to Milan and Denilson to Betis.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The first time I saw Olli Burke I thought bloody hell this lad is going to be fantastic.

2 years have gone by and whilst he still manages a few games in the top flight now and then , the only visible difference is that he loves the gym .

To me he's a player with incredible potential but hasn't been either managed properly or simply just isn't interested in becoming a better player .

I'd push the boat out to sign him and six months with Potter would tell if he could be a special player i think he could be .

Absolutely wasted at Sheffield Utd at the moment , certainly a player I'd love to see play for us .

I seriously woinder if Sheffield United is the best place to be for a player with silky ball playing skills.

It's a funny thing , normally managers determine the playing style, for instance we have just had managers with totally contrasting ways of playing the game, Chris Hughton's ultra defensive safety first approach, contrasting Graham Potter's far more expansive style of play.

The first four Sheffield United managers that came out of my head though all believe(d) in playing a similar long ball attritional style game, in Neil Warnock, Micky Adams, Simon Grayson and now Chris Wilder.

Strange that, maybe it's a northern thing!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Here's a couple of interesting ones. The first is, in my view, genuine wasted talent. Peter Knowles. Brother of (Nice One) Cyril. A massive talent at Wolves but quit young to become....a Jehova's Witness :facepalm: Worth shining a searchlight on that....

And a controversial one in terms of lost achievement. Bryan Robson. Yes he achieved a fair amount. But he suffered from injuries that, in my view, were 'faciliated' by his heavy drinking. It happens. I hate that era ManUre woth a passion, but Robson was a massive talent who underachieved.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Assuming you include injuries as a reason well as off field stuff - Will Buckley.

In that case............. Chris Ramsey.

Just how good could he have gone on to be if he hadn't been subject to the assault by that **** Whiteside in the cup final?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

And a controversial one in terms of lost achievement. Bryan Robson. Yes he achieved a fair amount. But he suffered from injuries that, in my view, were 'faciliated' by his heavy drinking. It happens. I hate that era ManUre woth a passion, but Robson was a massive talent who underachieved.

Controversial, but yes l agree.

Talking of controversial l give you George Best. Yes of course he was a massive talent, but his career tailed off far too early, due in part, to his massive drinking, drug taking, and womanising.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Here's a couple of interesting ones. The first is, in my view, genuine wasted talent. Peter Knowles. Brother of (Nice One) Cyril. A massive talent at Wolves but quit young to become....a Jehova's Witness :facepalm: Worth shining a searchlight on that....

Reminds me of Lars Elstrup, a Danish player who was part of the team that won Euro 1992.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lars_Elstrup

"In 1993, Elstrup had doubts about his footballing future, as he felt he was living under the expectations of others.[4] He joined a spiritual sect, and took the spiritual name "Darando", meaning "The River that Flows". He moved away from the sect in December 1999 after being arrested for punching a school child.[5] In January 2000, Odense gave Elstrup a chance to re-enter professional football by giving him a trial, but he left the club soon after when the club refused to pay him during the trial.[6] He now lives in Vissenbjerg, and stays out of the public eye."

No one heard from him for about 15 years until...

https://www.thesun.ie/archives/spor...ner-lars-elstrup-streaks-during-danish-match/

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Who was the kid about 20 years ago, that a lot of knowledgeable people were saying would be the greatest ever player? I really can’t remember much about him, just the hype, he was maybe. American, or bought by a big European club, Manchester United were in for him but didn’t get him.
Last I heard he was playing in America again.

Just found him on the interweb,

Freddy Adu.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Who was the kid about 20 years ago, that a lot of knowledgeable people were saying would be the greatest ever player? I really can’t remember much about him, just the hype, he was maybe. American, or bought by a big European club, Manchester United were in for him but didn’t get him.
Last I heard he was playing in America again.

Freddy Adu. Not so much a wasted talent, just wasn't as good as all the hype.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007

I agree about Robson and even more controversially, I don't think Rooney made the most of his talent either and I think that was mainly down to lifestyle and drinking. I know, I know, this is ridiculous as he's United's and England's record scorer but he could have done even more. I have never seen a kid as frighteningly talented as he was between 16 and 18, I think he should have been the best ever, better than Messi, Ronaldo and Maradonna but he peaked at 18.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Me. I was unbelievable when I was 7 scored a shedload in the Brighton Boys Brigade league but then the booze and the women caught up with me...

I played in the Brighton Boys Brigade league. At 7 you would have been too young. So clearly wasted your talent before you reached the big time.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
The first time I saw Olli Burke I thought bloody hell this lad is going to be fantastic.

2 years have gone by and whilst he still manages a few games in the top flight now and then , the only visible difference is that he loves the gym .

To me he's a player with incredible potential but hasn't been either managed properly or simply just isn't interested in becoming a better player .

I'd push the boat out to sign him and six months with Potter would tell if he could be a special player i think he could be .

Absolutely wasted at Sheffield Utd at the moment , certainly a player I'd love to see play for us .

From what I've read, he had plenty of ability but barely a football brain. He never played midweek games at Forest as it took him so long to understand what was required. At Leipzig he struggled and didn't understand the pressing game was called an 'empty hard drive.' Bags of ability but lacked that extra to make it to the next level.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It must cause horrendous frustration and bitterness for those who had fame and fortune (or came very close) but are now skint.

Drinking, debt, self-loathing, domestic violence must all be possible consequences.
All very sad.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I agree about Robson and even more controversially, I don't think Rooney made the most of his talent either and I think that was mainly down to lifestyle and drinking. I know, I know, this is ridiculous as he's United's and England's record scorer but he could have done even more. I have never seen a kid as frighteningly talented as he was between 16 and 18, I think he should have been the best ever, better than Messi, Ronaldo and Maradonna but he peaked at 18.

Agree about Rooney.

If you look at his achievements on paper, that sounds ridiculous, given the titles he won and records he holds.

But you’re right, his peak was around 18.

The 2004 Euro Championships in Portugal he was outstanding, and looked like he could go on to be a true world star at a level England never really produces. Pele. Maradona. Messi. But everything after that just felt less and less. Diminishing returns.

And sure, he continued to score the occasional worldie every season or two, and hoover up titles due to being part of a dominant Utd side, and notch up the England goals in meaningless qualifiers, but but but... he looked in the beginning like he might have been genuinely magical. And that magic never truly shone as dazzlingly as hoped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Agree with a lot previously mentioned.

Would add Michael Johnson at Man City.

Controversially, (and not sure he's been mentioned yet), Peter Ward.

Only one international cap.

Probably would have achieved a lot more had he left us after his first full season.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Colin Kazim Richard is a marvellous talent on his day, seemed to be a clash of personalities with Maggoo when he was with us. Looks like he now has his head in the right place at Derby, hope he kicks on now and realises his potential

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you on a wind up? he is about 35 now!

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Nile Ranger

One of the most talented U 21 players to come out of Newcastle

Allegedly

Listened to a podcast with him a while back. One of the most frustrating listens of my life, a decade of people bending over backwards to help him but it’s still not his fault that he’s f*cked his career up multiple times.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I seriously woinder if Sheffield United is the best place to be for a player with silky ball playing skills.

It's a funny thing , normally managers determine the playing style, for instance we have just had managers with totally contrasting ways of playing the game, Chris Hughton's ultra defensive safety first approach, contrasting Graham Potter's far more expansive style of play.

The first four Sheffield United managers that came out of my head though all believe(d) in playing a similar long ball attritional style game, in Neil Warnock, Micky Adams, Simon Grayson and now Chris Wilder.

Strange that, maybe it's a northern thing!

Sheffield United don't play long ball football and were praised pretty much every other week last season for the good football they played.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here