Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waste of Space Loan Striker Hall of Fame

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Harsh on Wilson and Vokes - the rest fully deserved.

Between Best and Obika for worst.

Obika has found his level,what is Best's excuse.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Vokes wasn't that bad, he just had the thankless task of playing as a lone striker in poyets striker unfriendly system. A fate also suffered by mackail smith.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Being too lightweight and a sick-note surely means you can't be a decent player; to be a decent player you need to be neither of those things.

Michael Owen made a career out of it...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We've had in recent memory Wood, Murray, Vokes, Bent, Wilson and Lingard.
Some of the other players have barely played or were only here for a few weeks.
Its a funny to say its a long list of Obikas and Litas but then that only works if you conveniently miss off the equally long internationals, Champ top scorers, and (now) prem league regulars.
Yes, but the point is that this was set up as a thread of loan striker flops, of which we have had, to be fair, quite a few. But in a thread about loan striker flops you shouldn't expect to find mention of successful loan strikers - it's OT in context. There might be some legitimate discussion about whether X or Y was really that shithouse, but there is no rationale for mentioning the likes of Murray and Bent on a thread all about useless lumps that we've unfortunately employed from time to time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Being too lightweight and a sick-note surely means you can't be a decent player; to be a decent player you need to be neither of those things.

I disagree. Both Darren Anderson and Jonathan Woodgate were notorious sicknotes but were decent players who had very good careers. If you look on google for comments about Darren Anderton you'll see plenty of comments especially from Wolves fans about how lightweight he could be.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Michael Owen made a career out of it...
April fools ended at mid-day, you know. :facepalm:

Michael Owen, lightweight? Small, yes, but how often did you see him muscled off the ball? Not very often, you can be sure.
And averaging 30 games a season for Liverpool and Real Madrid for eight seasons is pretty good for a striker; they inevitably will always be kicked a lot. More injuries later in his career - not unusual at all, and certainly doesn't make him a sick note.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, but the point is that this was set up as a thread of loan striker flops, of which we have had, to be fair, quite a few. But in a thread about loan striker flops you shouldn't expect to find mention of successful loan strikers - it's OT in context. There might be some legitimate discussion about whether X or Y was really that shithouse, but there is no rationale for mentioning the likes of Murray and Bent on a thread all about useless lumps that we've unfortunately employed from time to time.

OP said "a section of the Albion museum could be dedicated to our memorable loan strikers."
fair enough. I'm saying its a minor footnote in our recent history compared to , which the OP didn't mention, the long list of rather fine memorable but good strikers who have been here on loan as well which i guess could also have a space in the quite small Albion museum.

Obika, Paynter and Lita were only here for about 2 minutes anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I disagree. Both Darren Anderson and Jonathan Woodgate were notorious sicknotes but were decent players who had very good careers. If you look on google for comments about Darren Anderton you'll see plenty of comments especially from Wolves fans about how lightweight he could be.
Two fair examples to support your case there. OK, I'll acknowledge there are exceptions, and change my 'you can't be' to 'you aren't very likely to be'. And I still don't think Wilson is going to be one of those exceptions.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
you said "a section of the Albion museum could be dedicated to our memorable loan strikers."
fair enough. I'm saying its a minor footnote in our recent history compared to , which you don't mention, the long list of rather fine memorable but good strikers who have been here on loan as well which i guess could also have a space in the quite small Albion museum.

Obika, Paynter and Lita were only here for about 2 minutes anyway.
I didn't mention anyone - somebody else started the thread. We are allowed to discuss flops without there being a formal requirement to include an equal number of successes for the sake of balance, you know.
If you wanted, you could start a thread about good loanees we've had. And you probably wouldn't expect to see someone loading names like Best and Obika on it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Two fair examples to support your case there. OK, I'll acknowledge there are exceptions, and change my 'you can't be' to 'you aren't very likely to be'. And I still don't think Wilson is going to be one of those exceptions.

I think a bit of leeway should be given to the charge of being lightweight as a lot of these youngsters are still in their teens, not yet bulked out and one reason they are sent out on loan is to toughen them up. It was clear though over the season of watching him play that Wilson will always be that way. Same goes for Teixeira too who I loved watching play but who made me worry every time a defender tackled him. Wilson had a so-so season but I don't think he was too bad and, in my opinion, he doesn't deserve to be in the same list as Paynter or Obika.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I didn't mention anyone - somebody else started the thread. We are allowed to discuss flops without there being a formal requirement to include an equal number of successes for the sake of balance, you know.
If you wanted, you could start a thread about good loanees we've had. And you probably wouldn't expect to see someone loading names like Best and Obika on it.

no i wouldn't !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here