Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Washington DC travel advice please

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Yes I know there was a New York thread yesterday and please don’t say just go to New York, we have been there and looking for something different.

Anyway, it’s mine a Mrs Rambos 20th wedding anniversary and I am a looking to treat her with an upper class flight on Virgin as I have a fair few spare air miles. It limits the places we can fly as we can only get someone to look after the kids for 4 days.

Been to most places in the US apart from Boston and Washington.

DC has good flight times and there looks like plenty to see there in 4 days.

Any good advice/tips?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Oh, and we were going to go to the football out there but we can’t get anyone to look after the kids for those dates. Grrrrr

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any good advice/tips?
“The District of Columbia has the highest crime rate in the United States, with a 999.8 crime rate per 100,000 people.”

Go to Boston instead.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The cheese counter at Calvert Woodley is called La Cheeseaire.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
@Goldstone1976 might be able to help.

We were going to visit Washington as part of a recent trip, but changed our plans and didn't make it there in the end. My learned friend had lots to tips for things to see etc.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
“The District of Columbia has the highest crime rate in the United States, with a 999.8 crime rate per 100,000 people.”

Go to Boston instead.
Did a few days in Washington a couple of months ago. DC must have more police than citizens. Felt very safe there.

Anyway, depending on the ages of your kids:

Do a bike tour - great way to orientate yourself
Museums are fantastic and free
Jamestown is worth a visit
There’s an app for the metro - get that and tap in and out with your phone
Loads of restaurants and bars
The walk from Capitol Hill to Washington Monument and onto Lincoln Memorial is fab
You’ll see Marine One and its decoys if Joe’s at home
Go to Arlington (cemetery) - tomb of the unknown soldier ceremony is impressive. Also, sadly, military burials are going on all the time and the rifle salutes are sobering

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Not taking the kids. Some down time for us. I like the historical and military stuff but the Mrs will want a cocktail and a massage 🤦‍♂️

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Parking in Bethesda is a nightmare.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Did a few days in Washington a couple of months ago. DC must have more police than citizens. Felt very safe there.

Anyway, depending on the ages of your kids:

Do a bike tour - great way to orientate yourself
Museums are fantastic and free
Jamestown is worth a visit
There’s an app for the metro - get that and tap in and out with your phone
Loads of restaurants and bars
The walk from Capitol Hill to Washington Monument and onto Lincoln Memorial is fab
You’ll see Marine One and its decoys if Joe’s at home
Go to Arlington (cemetery) - tomb of the unknown soldier ceremony is impressive. Also, sadly, military burials are going on all the time and the rifle salutes are sobering
Did you get the metro from Dulles? Looks like an hour to downtown.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I only had 2 nights there last May but did enjoy it. Good walking around the landmarks, we had a good dinner around Navy Yards which was quite good mix of bars, breweries and restaurants. Next to the Nationals baseball stadium.

The Post History museum was also a fairly fun for a couple of hours.

I wasn’t sure what to expect and it exceeded my expectations. But like most US cities it does have a major problem with homelessness and mental health, pretty harmless but there is a lot of it

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Went to Boston last year, 4 nights then train to Washington DC 4 more nights then flew back.

Depends what you want, Boston a lot to do and see, Boston Trail, Cheers, lots of great open spaces and places to eat.

DC much more formalised, loads more to see but clearly depends if you want to see endless monuments, White House, Arlington Cemetery, Pentagon (hotel was 10 minute walk away), museums (did the Jewish one, very moving and Spirit of St Louis), Capitol Hill etc

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Did you get the metro from Dulles? Looks like an hour to downtown.
Last October it hadn't quite opened so bus from last Metro station $10 but I suspect open now and yes around an hour

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If you're white maybe.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Weirdest thing about Washington is that it's nightlife district is one block about half the length of West Street.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Both are great cities. If I were to visit only one, I’d choose Boston, but if you decide on DC: all of the Smithdonian museums are fantastic with, for me, the standout being the National air and space museum (Apollo 11 command module, Wright Brothers flyer and on and on). The Lincoln Memorial is a must see, as is the Vietnam Wall. National Art gallery has many masterpieces - better than the National Gallery in London; the Renwick Gallery is great.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Not taking the kids. Some down time for us. I like the historical and military stuff but the Mrs will want a cocktail and a massage 🤦‍♂️

If your Mrs isn’t in to museums, military or political monuments/buildings then I’d suggest DC isn’t the place to go. Having visited a couple of times, it is a place for a busy holiday with a lot of sightseeing.

BiffyBoy100

Apr 20, 2020
What time of year are you planning the trip?

DC is nice for a day, but I think 4 days might be a stretch, and it's not the most romantic spot. I think there are a lot better places to visit. If you do go, Alexandria the old town is worth a trip for lunch or dinner

Have you looked at Nashville or Austin? Or other direct routes?

I'm based in Boston, and I think this is a better shout for 4 days, especially if it's autumn or spring (summer is also nice but very hot). I don't recommend winter unless you ski.

For Boston, you can go north to New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont (all beautiful lakes, mountains etc) or go south to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket.

Other option is doing multicity and flying into one and out the other. I just personally wouldn't want to do D.C for more than 2 days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here