Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Washer/Dryer or humidifier

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Depends on your circumstances doesn’t it ..no way better to dry clothes than on the line ..BUT ..enclosed small gardens aren’t great for ‘wind’ least mine isn’t and sun won’t shine in it during Winter

Plus depends on volume and yes electric/gas prices are a concern

It seems you are treating the symptom not the cause.

In my opinion, you should be looking at ways to reduce the amount of washing rather than how best to dry excessive amounts of wet garments.

I come from a background in technical problem solving so apologies if my approach seems odd to a domestic situation.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

In my opinion, you should be looking at ways to reduce the amount of washing rather than how best to dry excessive amounts of wet garments.

I come from a background in technical problem solving so apologies if my approach seems odd to a domestic situation.

Thank you and I appreciate your bothering to reply …it’s not something I haven’t thought about over many many years ..it’s not going to happen simple as that ..hence I have to look at the symptom ..and with a new washing machine required I thought I’d put it out there

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Washer dryers don't compare well to separates on reliability or performance.

Very true and of course energy costs will be a big issue now. However, on the first issue there is a work around if you are prepared to splash the cash and accept that you tend to get what you pay for.

We have two young kids and limited kitchen space dictated that we needed a washer dryer. We do have a small dehumidifier but it doesn't cut it in the winter months with large amounts. For around 6 years we muddled through two cheap zanussi washer dryers that both gave up the ghost on the dryer part. However, two years ago we spent around £800 on a Bosch washer dryer and it's superb. A large wash load and reasonable drying capacity and rock solid performance. No issues whatsoever and the build quality compared to the zanussi is night and day. Obviously the initial outlay is the only issue.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Laundrette?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

Merino wool and bamboo are interesting clothing materials with anti bacterial properties. Not that helpful if you have just spilled your dinner down you, but otherwise they don't need to be washed that often in my experience.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Washing machine is on the blink and needs replacing ..generally washing is hung out although due to volume of washing done by some :)facepalm:) quite a bit indoors …anyway during Winter months outdoor drying is not an option …so sometimes the heating is on just to get washing dry ..against that how expensive is the dryer to run (no room for tumble dryer ….or should I go for a dehumidifier
I benefit from a lower overnight tariff which I’m looking to use either on.

A small section of the advice from Which magazine regarding washer / dryers -
"Washer-dryers hit with your energy bills with a one-two punch of washing and drying.

The average washer-dryer will cost you £117 in running costs for washing and £281 for drying, with the October price cap increase - so £398 on average.

The most expensive-to-run washer dryer we've tested costs £168 in washing costs and £493 in drying costs - so £661 across the year.

The cheapest costs £44 in washing costs and £189 in drying costs, adding up to £233 overall.

While tumble dryers have become more energy efficient recently due to heat pump technology, washer-dryers still lag behind.

Even the most efficient washer-dryer still uses more energy than most heat pump dryers, so the most environmentally friendly choice is to buy a separate washer and dryer. But for everyone where that's not an option, our Eco Buys can help you find the best for the planet and your bills."

Full article here - https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washer-dryers/article/how-to-buy-the-best-washer-dryer-a2E9e9t4qwnL (possibly behind a paywall)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
A small section of the advice from Which magazine regarding washer / dryers -
"Washer-dryers hit with your energy bills with a one-two punch of washing and drying.

The average washer-dryer will cost you £117 in running costs for washing and £281 for drying, with the October price cap increase - so £398 on average.

The most expensive-to-run washer dryer we've tested costs £168 in washing costs and £493 in drying costs - so £661 across the year.

The cheapest costs £44 in washing costs and £189 in drying costs, adding up to £233 overall.

While tumble dryers have become more energy efficient recently due to heat pump technology, washer-dryers still lag behind.

Even the most efficient washer-dryer still uses more energy than most heat pump dryers, so the most environmentally friendly choice is to buy a separate washer and dryer. But for everyone where that's not an option, our Eco Buys can help you find the best for the planet and your bills."

Full article here - https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/washer-dryers/article/how-to-buy-the-best-washer-dryer-a2E9e9t4qwnL (possibly behind a paywall)

Ta….I took out a subscription earlier this eve b4 I read your reply …seems the best thing to do ..I’ll cancel it after a month..small amount to pay for a fairly large purchase…also good advice on washing machines if I choose the dehumidifier route

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Very true and of course energy costs will be a big issue now. However, on the first issue there is a work around if you are prepared to splash the cash and accept that you tend to get what you pay for.

We have two young kids and limited kitchen space dictated that we needed a washer dryer. We do have a small dehumidifier but it doesn't cut it in the winter months with large amounts. For around 6 years we muddled through two cheap zanussi washer dryers that both gave up the ghost on the dryer part. However, two years ago we spent around £800 on a Bosch washer dryer and it's superb. A large wash load and reasonable drying capacity and rock solid performance. No issues whatsoever and the build quality compared to the zanussi is night and day. Obviously the initial outlay is the only issue.

Mind me asking the model number (I am limited by depth of worktop)

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here