Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was today our best starting 11?

I don't think it is.

Propper and Trossard need to be in there and if we're going to play 4 at the back I'd rather see Bernardo at left back. If we play with wing backs I think there's also a good argument for one of them being March.

It is very positive that we can do that to Spurs with three or four starters missing.

Agreed. Fair play to Burn though who did his primary job of defending much better than any other game

Gross is playing out of his skin at the moment and would leave him be , Trossard in for Mooy and Propper in for Alzate will be the changes made if any , it's just nice to have quality back up in all positions at last .

If Mooy gets dropped after being head and shoulders the best player on either side I’m starting 10 Potter out threads :drink::drink:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Nope it was not our best 11. Rather what we saw is the coming together of a new style of play. All the monkeys who have been ignoring our great football and instead focusing only on the results will no doubt be having really poor memories by the end of the season. We have Trossard who if I hope will be able to feed Maupay as well as take some of his own, then March who has been excellent this so far. Propper and Mooy will have to fight it out.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
How the dickens will Izquierdo fit in when he's back? I like him.

I don't think he will.
He wasn't that great before his injury, a bit of a one trick pony with his overused zoom down the left, get to a defender, cut in, shoot, miss the goal/hit opposition player routine.
He was sussed out quickly enough, too predictable unless GP can teach him some new tricks.

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Don’t know how we had a midfield four containing Mooy Gross and Stephens yet didn’t look slow. Well done to all, but we could do better. Trossard is our best player.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s a squad game and GP will pick and mix depending on who the opposition are imo

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I never realised how good Mooy is until yesterday. When we signed him I thought he was just a bog standard midfielder who would do a job without being outstanding. Today he was an absolute beast. If it weren’t for Connolly he’d have been MOTM. There is no way he’s being dropped any time soon. Same for Alzate. So I think Propper may have to wait for an injury or suspension to get back in.

Spot on.
I also thought that Mooy was signed as a decent midfielder to plug the gaps for when we had injuries. But today he bossed the midfield and was the heart and soul of the side. He has a great ability to keep possession in tight spots, hold off strong challenges and then play an attacking pass.
It made me feel like I had opened all my Christmas presents and then found one more under the tree a couple of hours later that turned out to be the Scaletrix that I always wanted.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Looked a really well balanced side, all the partnerships looked effective, moved the ball quickly and looked both solid and dangerous

Propper and Trossard the obvious players who could come back and challenge that but what does everyone else think?

Propper for Alzate, and Trossard for . . . I don't know, but somebody.

Having said that, the eleven that started the game yester day did so well, tha I think they all deserve to keep the shirt for the next game at least.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Absolutely no reason to replace alzate with propper. Shown plenty of ability and pace to warrant selection.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think we have several best formations, and each are predicated by the nature of the opposition. This is not 1976 when the same eleven guys would start the whole season, unless injured.

One thing I would say is, when you factor in the days in which we live, the level of fitness and focus required, and where we are in the football pyramid, the present squad and first team(s) are the best the club has ever had. The same is arguably true of several of the PL clubs, though, (even including Liverpool and Citeh) albeit not ManUre or Spuds, obviously :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s a squad game and GP will pick and mix depending on who the opposition are imo

I agree. I think he studies the other team, looks for their weaknesses and will adapt our game to exploit them.

This is why he has been coaching the team in various formations, so he can even switch them mid game, if necessary.
Potter, not only has a plan B, but a plan C & D.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No it's not, but it depends on the formatIon And approach/opposition.

For today it proved to be perfect however.

Agree with this. Each match there is a huge range variables of which team selection will work which opposition. Yesterday it was spot on. Same team selection for us in future might not be great depending on the opposition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here