Was today one of the greatest ever single sporting events shown on BBC1?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
This^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, i think Murray's performance was outstanding and the standard of tennis was top drawer, but he won 3 - 0. There was no drama! At no point did i think he was going to lose.

It was a straight sets match that lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes! Even at 3 match points, Djokovic saved all three and then had break point and in sets 2 and 3, was up a break of serve. Had Djokovic fought back and won the third set with Murray starting to feel the effects, the outcome of the match was far from clear cut and it was just a few points here and there that prevented that from happening.

red star portslade

Jul 8, 2012
Hove innit
It was a straight sets match that lasted 3 hours and 15 minutes! Even at 3 match points, Djokovic saved all three and then had break point and in sets 2 and 3, was up a break of serve. Had Djokovic fought back and won the third set with Murray starting to feel the effects, the outcome of the match was far from clear cut and it was just a few points here and there that prevented that from happening.

Ifs and buts. He won 3 - 0. Great game, i'm really pleased you all think it was the best sporting performance of all time.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Surely what made this a great tv occasion was not just the high quality tennis but also the 77 years of hurt that has now been banished? In terms of euphoria this is right up there, and all this not to mention Lendl finally experiencing Wimbledon glory.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Having been around for the 66 Final and not being a great tennis fan, I would still say that Murray's achievement is up there. All of those above mentioning better finals are overlooking one thing - the winners weren't British !!!
In 66, it was a great achievement but it has built up into an even greater one in the succeeding years. Don't forget that England didn't even enter World Cups until 1950 and we still considered ourselves amongst the favourites then (even against W.Germany)

mattpenfold

Sep 17, 2011
Ifs and buts. He won 3 - 0. Great game, i'm really pleased you all think it was the best sporting performance of all time.

Clearly you do not understand what "one of" means or "shown on BBC1".

Given your obvious inability to understand even simple English, can you explain why you think your opinion is worth offering to us ?

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I've never been interested in tennis one bit... I was on the edge of my seat watching todays game so I'd have to put that up there as one of the best!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Great match from the lad. When are his Polo shirts out ?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
For those at this point thinking 'WTF', I take it you mean the void Grand National, yes?

or it could have been

- 57th Golf Masters Championship: Bernhard Langer wins, shooting a 277
- Jeff Rouse swims world record 100m backstroke (51.43 sec)

:shrug:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
or it could have been

- 57th Golf Masters Championship: Bernhard Langer wins, shooting a 277
- Jeff Rouse swims world record 100m backstroke (51.43 sec)

:shrug:

Was it FA Cup semi-final weekend that weekend too? I can't remember, but perhaps Chris Waddle's free kick against Sheffield United had the nation jumping up and down.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Great match from the lad. When are his Polo shirts out ?

andy.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
British sport and understated excellent commentary doesn't get much better than this:-

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
1. Any BHA game on TV (sorry, but its family, and it counts, every time).
2. 1995 Playoff final Bolton Vs Reading (the most intense and exciting game not involving BHA, ever)
3. Solskjaer - yes! (I hate ManU, as does my son, but we both stood and said the same thing at the same time -emotional dad/son thing, and an amazing victory against the hun).

On the BBC ???

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
This^^^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, i think Murray's performance was outstanding and the standard of tennis was top drawer, but he won 3 - 0. There was no drama! At no point did i think he was going to lose.

Djokovic v Del Potro, now that was what great sport is all about.

The Djokovic v Del Potro was an amazing game but I guess it took a lot out of Djokovic and hence nature of the final. Big respect to Murray though, you can only play what's in front of you.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Another British achievement that is up there with yesterday was Celtic being the 1st British team to win the European Cup? Bloody Scots :wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Well done Murray, very broad shoulders to carry the nations expectations.

Someone on the Beeb was saying 'as big, or bigger, than 66', no chance!

Millions of people, 10's if not 100's, pay money to watch football every year, how many pay to watch tennis? #funbutnotthatimportant

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports