Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was that the dullest 3-0 win ever?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Not fishing, and can't believe the negative comments. I'm not slagging off our performance in any way, and we thoroughly deserved the win, I just thought it was dull game as sod all happened.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not fishing, and can't believe the negative comments. I'm not slagging off our performance in any way, and we thoroughly deserved the win, I just thought it was dull game as sod all happened.

Hmmm let me think three good goals..i could continue but is it worth it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I heard the veggie pie wasn't up to usual standard today

I had one and it was edible, I don't expect anymore at a football stadium tbh. ( and yes I do realise your comment was probably tongue in cheek)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can see the OP's point. It felt at times like a training match, to me. Charlton barely threatened our goal. According to the stats on espnsoccernet they had 2 shots, 0 on target. I can only remember the one shot (the one that hit the crossbar) other than that they were no threat, which took away any sort of danger, any concern. Yet, despite that, we didn't really put them to the sword. Considering how little threat they offered, and how much control and possession we had, it didn't feel like we were piling in on their goal. According to whoscored.com 22% was in our third, 55% in the middle and only 24% in the charlton third, 5 of our shots came in a 4 minute period, leaving the others to be spread out over the rest of the match.

With no threat from Charlton there's no emotional up and down, and with sparse attacks there's no sustained excitement at the promise of more goals, with attacks resulting in shots so spread out while under no threat from our opponents, there were lots of sitting back moments, watching us play it across the middle, occasionally probe forward then back and so on, being comfortable in possession.

It wasn't the most exciting 3-0 I've seen. But, it is a win, gives us 3 points, puts us in the play offs at least until monday, improves our goal difference, and was more pleasant than most of our draws and losses this season, and hopefully gives the players a bit of confidence and keeps the run going.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I can see the OP's point. It felt at times like a training match, to me. Charlton barely threatened our goal. According to the stats on espnsoccernet they had 2 shots, 0 on target. I can only remember the one shot (the one that hit the crossbar) other than that they were no threat, which took away any sort of danger, any concern. Yet, despite that, we didn't really put them to the sword. Considering how little threat they offered, and how much control and possession we had, it didn't feel like we were piling in on their goal. According to whoscored.com 22% was in our third, 55% in the middle and only 24% in the charlton third, 5 of our shots came in a 4 minute period, leaving the others to be spread out over the rest of the match.

With no threat from Charlton there's no emotional up and down, and with sparse attacks there's no sustained excitement at the promise of more goals, with attacks resulting in shots so spread out while under no threat from our opponents, there were lots of sitting back and watching us play it across the middle comfortably.

It wasn't the most exciting 3-0 I've seen. But, it is a win, gives us 3 points, puts us in the play offs at least until monday, improves our goal difference, and was more pleasant than most of our draws and losses this season, and hopefully gives the players a bit of confidence and keeps the run going.

Thank you. At last someone got my point.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

With no threat from Charlton there's no emotional up and down, and with sparse attacks there's no sustained excitement at the promise of more goals, with attacks resulting in shots so spread out while under no threat from our opponents, there were lots of sitting back moments, watching us play it across the middle, occasionally probe forward then back and so on, being comfortable in possession.

It certainly wasn't ...but then it wasn't the dullest 3/0 that i can recall either which was the title

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It certainly wasn't ...but then it wasn't the dullest 3/0 that i can recall either which was the title

What was the dullest one?

The thread titled asked if it was the dullest ever, it didn't say this definitely was. If you can name duller ones, feel free. Over the past three seasons, this is our sixth 3-0. Blackburn earlier this season, Palace last March and Sheffield Wednesday early last season, Southampton and Ipswich the season before. Of those six, this one was the dullest, imo.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Well it depends if you're going there to watch a game of football or to support the club you love and want 3 points in any way shape or form I guess. It's the latter for most....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What was the dullest one?

off the top of my head i cant say..having watched Brighton for 46 years i'm pretty sure I've seen less exciting 3/0 wins....we had 2 very good goals for starters....i'd agree with your other comments, it felt as if we were in second gear..but if thats all that was needed to win by three ..i have no complaints..i'm sure the OP isn't too unhappy

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Maybe not, but it was a bloody sight better than anything else we've seen at the Amex for several weeks......

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thank you. At last someone got my point.

At last someone made sense of what you struggled to say.

I thought it was very tactical and really enjoyed the first half with Kaz-Lingard-March as a 3 in front of Stephens-Andrews and while it was narrow, it really worked. That Charlton didn't offer much 2nd half meant we could professionally see out the game which we did.

To be honest I'll take that every day of the week at this stage of the season.

Crikey mate, we've struggled in a lot of home games this season, i'd suggest sitting back and enjoying one we dominate & score 3 in even if it goes a bit dull!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Well it depends if you're going there to watch a game of football or to support the club you love and want 3 points in any way shape or form I guess. It's the latter for most....

I don't think it is. Of course fans want success, but they want the team they love to play well and excite them, too. We want to see the team do themselves proud, and that involves playing the best they can. Look at West Ham being unhappy with their wins because the football isn't attractive - actually booing the team after a win that pretty much guaranteed their safety, because the fans pride themselves and their club on the way they play.

With the money it costs to watch football these days, wins alone aren't enough. Fans want entertainment, too. They want their team to play football they enjoy watching, play football they can point to the football played by the club they love and say "that's what football should be".

I think most fans who love their club want a balance. Today the result was better than the football. No one is complaining about the result.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Boring game, obvious we were going to win after the first goal. Charlton were without doubt the worst team I've seen at The Amex this season. Very important ,and well deserved win. but good grief, what a boring game.

**** sake, not as boring as losing to Ipswich et all

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Boring game, obvious we were going to win after the first goal. Charlton were without doubt the worst team I've seen at The Amex this season. Very important ,and well deserved win. but good grief, what a boring game.
Can't understand this at all - great match imo.

Technohead

Aug 10, 2013
Burgess Hill
Exactly! How can anyone call a convincing Albion win dull FFS!!! Some people are never happy. Maybe fans like that is why the atmosphere dipped for a lot if the 2nd half!!!! I love being in front and watching Albion express themselves freely while 2 goals up - much more than a close game!!!!

Where I sit in the WSU the atmosphere never got off the ground ..... I've seen more life in a morgue. To be honest it seems to get worse as the the season goes on. Great view, but wish I had applied for a move of seats now ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here