Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was that a penalty to B’muff???

Penalty or not?

• Stonewaller

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • Absolutely no chance that was a penalty

Votes: 74 67.9%

• Total voters

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was an exact replica of when Welbz got barged by Matic I think for the dippers and that was ruled no penalty, so same outcome.
There has to be consistency
Sorry, disagree. Pervis was pretty much to the side of the player although it could be argued that it wasn't quite shoulder to shoulder. Welbz we in front of Martinez and contact was in the middle of his back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I wouldn't have been surprised or angered if it was given. The main factor for me was that it wasn't an attempt to play the ball, he just took the guy out.

There's a lot of grizzling about it on Plucky's forum. They haven't had a penalty all season :lolol:

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I wouldn't have been surprised or angered if it was given. The main factor for me was that it wasn't an attempt to play the ball, he just took the guy out.

There's a lot of grizzling about it on Plucky's forum. They haven't had a penalty all season :lolol:
Inclined to agree and I thought it was a foul. But just maybe it's how these things even themselves over a course of a season. Let's not forget how we were up in arms when Webster was strong armed off the ball by Haaland. We all thought that was a foul.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Inclined to agree and I thought it was a foul. But just maybe it's how these things even themselves over a course of a season. Let's not forget how we were up in arms when Webster was strong armed off the ball by Haaland. We all thought that was a foul.
Referees have been asked to allow the game to be more physical and to let it flow.
Far more robust challenges are waved away in every game.

Having seen it back, I really can't see what the fuss was about.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Referees have been asked to allow the game to be more physical and to let it flow.
Far more robust challenges are waved away in every game.

Having seen it back, I really can't see what the fuss was about.
So you didn't have a problem with Haaland goal and thought Webster should have been stronger presumably?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So you didn't have a problem with Haaland goal and thought Webster should have been stronger presumably?
A bit - but the two challenges were not the same - far more of a push after the contact from Halland.
It also would have got slightly more consideration from VAR as a goal was scored, it was ajudged to be fair.
If that's the bar, then Estupinan's isn't even worth a VAR check.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looked a penalty to me but maybe the laws/interpretation of the laws have changed as Halland swatted Webster out the way, as did a Liverpool player in the cup against Welbeck (I think) but none were given.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Would have been a travesty if it was given as there was a clear foul on Veltman in the build up.

*in regards to the handball. As for the shoulder to shoulder, not dissimilar to Haaland on Webster earlier in the season.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Watching on a stream yesterday and they seem it could’ve been. Didn’t think it was during real time. Reading the uothecherries forum, they seem to think it was.
The estupinan barge
Don’t know. Haven’t seen it yet. But most on NSC think it is a penalty every time there is a shout for a Brighton penalty. I thought Welbeck went over too easily a few weeks ago which upset a few on here and it will be the same on every club’s forum, including Bournemouth’s. Football fans bias shock.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Would the 68% who said it wasn't change their mind if it had been a Brighton player in Bournemouth's box ?

Take the percentage of those who would, add it to those who think this was a penalty, and you get a proper view.

I saw the footage. In any other part of the pitch that was a clear foul and no amount of whataboutery changes that.

Anyway, I thought the ref gave them everything ?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Oh its clearly a foul, Perv just goes straight into their player, nowhere near the ball. There were fouls given for far less all over the pitch yesterday.

I don't agree. Those sorts of challenges have always been part of defensive play.
There were plenty of fouls NOT given for far more.

The new "let it flow" guidance is giving leeway to a lot more physical challenges than previously.
Often being pushed from behind (Veltman) is let go and then there was Haalands "coming together" against us.

It is becoming more common for players to push the opponent away, after the shoulder to shoulder, which I think should be looked at.
Pervis may have been guilty of that, but certainly not to the same extent that has become common this season.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
At least VAR and the refs are at last being consistant. We've had these turned down and now one of our own has commited the barge and again it's been turned down.
Problem is in future it will be given.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The old cliche of 'if you give that then there would be 20 pens every game' springs to mind.

In the modern game and sadly the way things are going, yes, it could have been given. If this had happened back in the 70's when I first started going the laughter at the Bournemouth player would have gone on for hours.

Ref saw it as a NO so can't complain, and I always think teams are clutching at straws when their only outlet is to blame the officials for a decision they think they should have had, rather than them failing to score or create much in the way of chances. Hey ho.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I don't even see where the debate is coming from. I was in line with it, didn't think it was a penalty at the time and still didn't upon seeing the replays.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember 2 or 3 years ago, possibly away to watford or Wolves.
Dan Burn was up for a corner or freekick there was alot of pushing and pulling.

As Dan got in front of his marker, the defender literally grabbed hold of him and pulled him to the ground.
The commentary team seemed to think it was little more than a coming together.
I was incensed.

Since then I really don't see any of the pushing and shoving penalty appeals as "should have been given"

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
He needs to be careful , if the ref had given it , I doubt it would have been overturned by var . Unnecessary challenge to give the ref a decision to make ,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here