Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was Schmeichel sledging Barnes before his pen?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
in fairness i would go down on Ashley Barnes right now.

i cannot however ever envisage the day i would go down on your mum........even if she won a match single handed with her wheelchair wizzardry
She'd out moan Barnes, and not in a nice way!!

Janbha

Dec 5, 2008
Hove
Smeagal had a barrage of advice from his team mates about which way he should dive , Barnes probably just decided well he is going do dive one way or another so ile just smash it down the middle , fair play , he scored , we won , happy days .

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Was pretty good pen. Too powerful for a flailing leg to stop. Some of the ratings of Barnes on the match thread are hilariously childish. He scored 2. We wouldn't have won without him. Get over yourselves.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Looked a good penalty to me. On the highlights, I'd say he chose to go own the middle as Schmeichel shifted his weight to the right. And plenty of power just to make sure.

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Most of the time, a penalty like that would rightly be slagged off.

In Barnes's case, I think it was a clever one.
We all know he normally rockets them high and wide of the keeper, so there's no way KS was expecting him to dink it down the middle.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
You on drugs?

Schmeical is a top top keeper, no idea how he isnt playing in the prem.

The penalty was also woeful, keeper should have done better (no that doesn't make him terrible gk)

Did any of his kicks reach any of his players? Very poor distribution - one of which led to a goal for us!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Some of our "fans" are a joke. With the power it was hit, it was very unlikely to be saved.

Did see Barnes & Kasper have bit of a laugh after the game so all in good nature.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Right so you're happy with him kicking it straight at the keeper every time ? 50% of the time that penalty is being saved.

If a penalty is kicked at the keeper it will be saved almost every time. Unless you mean kicking the penalty straight down the middle, in which case I'd say your estimate is way off. It takes a brave keeper to stay standing in the middle, I'd say comfortably over 90% of penalties have a keeper dive one way or the other. The only times I remember a keeper not diving are when he is beaten before he has a chance to dive when the ball is kicked to either side.

The penalty was high enough to go over the diving keeper (just). It was central enough that the diving keeper's hand was too far away to get enough on it. It was powerful enough to go through his finger tips. Could it have been saved if the keeper had done something else? Probably, but the same can be said about so many goals. To call it a bad penalty because hypothetically it could have been saved is churlish.

Acker did a great graphic showing Barnes's penalties a while ago. He can kick it left, right, centre and straight into the roof of the net. The majority of the time a keeper will dive one way or the other, so sometimes putting your boot through the ball to the centre is the way to go. There was a lot of force behind that kick which is why it wasn't saved. Don't try to make out that Barnes kicks it straight at the keeper every time as you're making yourself look foolish.

Updated version.

Penalty Barnes.jpg

(didn't keep track of which penalties were v which team in 2010/11)

Chris Wood was pointing for Schmeichel to dive to his right, i thought. Perhaps Barnes thought Schmeichs saying I KNOW I KNOW was directed at him rather than Wood behind him.

Which seems silly, given the chart above - Barnes' last penalty was to the keeper's left, the one Casper saved was to his left.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Some of the nonsense spouted to try to take the gloss off anything positive Barnes does, is weird.

That's a charitable and polite way of putting it. I'd say it's absolutely f**king disgusting myself. Shameful even.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Right so you're happy with him kicking it straight at the keeper every time ? 50% of the time that penalty is being saved.

You're very confident - and very wrong. But I don't suppose this will influence your biased POV.

For the record, 87% of penalties taken down the middle (where the goal is divided into right of the keeper, left of the keeper or down the middle) are scored, compared to 83% of those placed either side. And that stat excludes penalties that are missed, which would make the stat even more in favour of down the middle.

This is partly because keepers often choose a side and jump either left or right (94% of the time) as the penalty taker is running up. They would be more successful if they stood still!

Great read here if you want more info - http://www.scienceofsocceronline.com/2009/04/penalty-kicks-by-numbers.html

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I actually like a pen straight down the middle so did Gary Lineker.
You are very astute.

Was a poor pen (as seen on FL show) but it went in so good enough for me!
No it wasn't. It was statistically the best thing to do.

Was pretty good pen. Too powerful for a flailing leg to stop. Some of the ratings of Barnes on the match thread are hilariously childish. He scored 2. We wouldn't have won without him. Get over yourselves.
Exactly - statistically the best option, partly because of eactly what you have highlighted - it went in of the keepers legs because 19 times out of 20 (actual fact Yxee) they dive one way or the other.

Looked a good penalty to me. On the highlights, I'd say he chose to go own the middle as Schmeichel shifted his weight to the right. And plenty of power just to make sure.
Quite.

Most of the time, a penalty like that would rightly be slagged off.
Incorrectly.

If a penalty is kicked at the keeper it will be saved almost every time.
Of course, but one kicked down the middle is rarely saved.

Well done Ashley Barnes. Our leading scorer.

Jimmy boy 69

Nov 24, 2012
Brighton
They seemed to be having words?

Im kno lip reading expert, but, on the football league show it looked to me like the keeper was saying to Barnes"i kno where your going, i kno where your going"........ I was right behind the goal and he defo got a few fingers and part of a leg to it but as others have said it did have a lot of power!

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Some of our "fans" are a joke. With the power it was hit, it was very unlikely to be saved.

Did see Barnes & Kasper have bit of a laugh after the game so all in good nature.

what??? you're questioning whether people are "fans" because there's a small debate over whether it was a decent penalty or not....some people on here do like to over react

I don't think it looked that good on TV but it went in and we won.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I thought it was a decent penalty. He was under a lot of pressure, a player that at the best of times divides the fans taking a penalty that sealed the game, in front of the North Stand, takes a lot of guts to step up and take it.

As far as Schmeichel was concerned I thought he was saying "I know where you're going to put this" to unnerve Barnes. If it was me I'd of celebrated in his face!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here