Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was Paul Weller a Thatcher supporter in the 1970s?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ironic,,as in most of the things people sang about, slagging her off about, was at the very period where they made their millions...Isn't there some sort of irony in that???

I don't remember him singing about Maggie. Can you remind me?

Suburban life (Town Called Malice), class war (Eton Rifles, Funeral Pyre - marginally), Cold War (Going Underground), love songs (Bitterest Pill).

I'll give you the Red Wedge thing which came later, that he was involved in, but I'd suggest his Style Council days got him the least (excuse the pun) wedge.

Unless my mind has turned to complete mush, the only ones who spring to mind in singing specifically singing about Maggie who had any success were The Specials (a cover of Maggie's Farm) and The Beat (Stand Down Margaret). And I'd hardly suggest they've got a multitude of zeroes after their name.

33057 Seagull

May 22, 2004
Over the border in Southwick
Unless my mind has turned to complete mush, the only ones who spring to mind in singing specifically singing about Maggie who had any success were The Specials (a cover of Maggie's Farm) and The Beat (Stand Down Margaret). And I'd hardly suggest they've got a multitude of zeroes after their name.

I remember the NME article when first and only time Weller stated his intention to vote conservtive. But never any further reference since.

On subject of songs about Maggie, Pink Floyd rarely mentioned - 'Pigs Three Different Ones' '...you fu*ked up old hag, ha ha charade you are, you radiate cold shafts of broken glass...' and several tracks on 'The Final Cut'

Anyway missing the match - Seagulls!!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't remember him singing about Maggie. Can you remind me?

Suburban life (Town Called Malice), class war (Eton Rifles, Funeral Pyre - marginally), Cold War (Going Underground), love songs (Bitterest Pill).

I'll give you the Red Wedge thing which came later, that he was involved in, but I'd suggest his Style Council days got him the least (excuse the pun) wedge.

Where did I say Weller???.....I said many singers/ songwriters/ pop stars of the 80's...You started on about Weller....But seeing as your talking about the Jam and Weller. You do not have to mention someone by name to know who the lyrics are going on about. If your singing/writing about Class War, or Suburban Life as you say, you are taking a swipe at the Government of the day. Only a fool would say many of Weller's lyrics are not politically motivated.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
He was.

I remember an interview that he gave to the NME in which he strongly stated his support for the Conservatives and announced his intention of voting Tory in the forthcoming election.

This would have been in the early days of punk and could have been seen as someone finding his way politically or could have been a reaction to The Clash who were firmly left-wing from the early days.

Spot on, One of his first interviews with the NME in 1977. Fell out with The Clash and walked out of the White Riot tour (the Jam were one of the support acts). Retracted his quote a few weeks later I believe

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Where did I say Weller???.....I said many singers/ songwriters/ pop stars of the 80's...You started on about Weller....But seeing as your talking about the Jam and Weller. You do not have to mention someone by name to know who the lyrics are going on about. If your singing/writing about Class War, or Suburban Life as you say, you are taking a swipe at the Government of the day. Only a fool would say many of Weller's lyrics are not politically motivated.

I was talking about Weller because that was the thread title.

But I did cover your point in my last sentence. I can't think of anyone who made a mint out of slagging off Maggie.

Those Weller songs I mention, in terms of social statements, are possibly as relevant now as they were then (even 'Going Underground' - we're still spending billions on nuclear programmes) - whatever political persuasion is in power. So you're right to call them politically motivated, but I'd say not against any given party. Don't forget, he was writing 'political' songs under a 1970s Labour government too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here