Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was our season determined in the summer transfer window

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
The extra 3 goals could have been another 9 points, just saying.

How could the extra 3 goals have been another 9 points? Assuming they were goals that turned 3 draws into victories then it would be 6 points.
Assuming they were goals that turned one losing position into a winning position and one losing position into a draw they would be worth 4 points.

I think. Not that it really matters.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Maybe the problem is that he’s not that tall? I’m assuming that you’re about 4ft 10” if you classify 5ft 10” as tall? [emoji23]

Most of the best strikers are short and nippy, weaving around the slow giants and stinging like a bee.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
No point in talking about Watkins, we were never seriously in the running for him. Villa were always going to pay 25% higher for him in wages than we would

Nunez possibly could have signed, though more likely we were the helpful idiots who were just forcing up the wages he was getting from Benfica.

It's a tough, tough market with very few quality players and a lot of clubs involved.

It's like buying shares, the trick is to get in early, the year before they start banging the goals in. But that's an imprecise science. You end up with a few Locadia's on your books.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Locadia wasn't good enough. Andone hard to judge I feel we don't have the full picture, I think it was a personality / dressing room coherence issue.

Yes we didn't buy immediately, but we did promote Connolley who has done okay, and we have since brought in Welbeck and Zeqiri.

The real question mark for me was shipping off Murray.

The dressing room thing has been reliably put to bed by someone in the know. Andone seems to be perfectly popular with the other players.

As for Murrayoffside, 23 appearances and one league goal in 2019-20. Six games and no goals for Watford, this seasn, plus seven games and two goals for Forest. His strike rate in this time is slightly below that of Big Jurgs. :shrug:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Most of the best strikers are short and nippy, weaving around the slow giants and stinging like a bee.

Which striker has scored the most goals in European football for the last couple of years?

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The dressing room thing has been reliably put to bed by someone in the know. Andone seems to be perfectly popular with the other players.

As for Murrayoffside, 23 appearances and one league goal in 2019-20. Six games and no goals for Watford, this seasn, plus seven games and two goals for Forest. His strike rate in this time is slightly below that of Big Jurgs. :shrug:

Not happy with that tone towards Sir Glenn.

I think we can just leave it by saying that at 37, time catches up with us all and he wasn't going to improve a PL team at that age

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not happy with that tone towards Sir Glenn.

I think we can just leave it by saying that at 37, time catches up with us all and he wasn't going to improve a PL team at that age

I was responding to someone who apparently has no idea how we could have been so utterly foolish as to let him go.

People can be so binary some times :shrug:

Sorry what I meant was how could you be so completely and utterly wrong? ??? :wink:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I was responding to someone who apparently has no idea how we could have been so utterly foolish as to let him go.

People can be so binary some times :shrug:

Sorry what I meant was how could you be so completely and utterly wrong? ??? :wink:

I assure you i'm completely non binary

But yes, i'll read the thread thoroughly in future before issuing admonishment :)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Haaland, Lewandowski, Jimenez, Muzza in his day, Shearer too, Kane ... all seemed to shrug off the disability of being tall centre forwards.

Yeh, you wouldn't want the handicap of being able to tower over a centre back and stick a header in the net

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Maupay has 7

Watkins has 10

This.

Antonio has 7. Mane has 7. Abraham has 6. Firmino has 6. Cavani has 6. Werner has 5. Che Adams has 4.Gabriel Jesus has 4.Richarlison has 4. Chris Wood has 4.

But Neal is a pathetic striker who is our main problem. He's performing at about the same rate as Lacazette, Giroud and Firmino normally do.

Up front isn't the problem. Our midfielders have the same amount of goals as Neal, combined. They also tend to have around double the amount of shots.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yeh, you wouldn't want the handicap of being able to tower over a centre back and stick a header in the net

I get the argument of playing two or three mobile, not the tallest, forwards. But imho that works when they’re truly exceptional players and scorers. More than making up for a lack of a target man. (ManC, and LFC before this season). We don’t operate in that transfer market.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
If we’re looking for a “moment” this can all be pinned to, to me it was the decision to bin off Andone and Locadia a week or so after the transfer window shut in the summer of 2019 and then not replace them ever since.

Fine, Potter decided they weren’t the strikers he wanted - I’ve no real problem with that. But:

- Why spend the whole pre-season, entire transfer window and first couple of games acting as if they were part of the plans, if actually they weren’t?*

- Having then made that ‘bold’ call, why do nothing to replace them ever since, across three transfer windows now? (Unless you count bringing in Wellbeck, who - no disrespect - hardly smacks of a long-term/major plan).

*And in case anyone wants to leap in and say “it was all because of Andone’s reckless challenge against Southampton”, well, ok, but that seems to have become a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’d say we’ve ended up punishing ourselves more than him for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100% correct.

Never replaced them. I think one reason we changed plans was the emergence of Connolly. Whilst the club wouldn’t admit to this in public (and for absolutely fair reasons), they may have hoped he was going to kick on and be the answer. Especially after those 2 goals vs Spurs. It really felt like he could be an exceptional talent. I still think he’s good. And has decent potential, but not at the top level we would have secretly hoped.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

That's nice, I wasn't aware of the dressing room thing being wrong, I'll very happily forget that rumour!

Perhaps a bit of rose tinted glasses with Murray too.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Shame we could not get this one over the line whilst was still in our price range

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.theargus.co.uk/sport/18651824.amp/

5fc94dc0ddc6fb33a39e8c297e5152af.jpg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's nice, I wasn't aware of the dressing room thing being wrong, I'll very happily forget that rumour!

Perhaps a bit of rose tinted glasses with Murray too.

:thumbsup: :smile:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
100% correct.

Never replaced them. I think one reason we changed plans was the emergence of Connolly. Whilst the club wouldn’t admit to this in public (and for absolutely fair reasons), they may have hoped he was going to kick on and be the answer. Especially after those 2 goals vs Spurs. It really felt like he could be an exceptional talent. I still think he’s good. And has decent potential, but not at the top level we would have secretly hoped.

Locadia & Andone were both loaned out before that Tottenham game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here