Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was Mason Holgate’s horror tackle the worst in Premier League history? Here are five other shockers

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Ben Thatcher’s was a cowardly disgrace, on a gentle and skilled player. Got a long ban and did Thatcher’s career never truly recover?

The most vile was sewer rat El Hadji Diouf unloading spit on Arjan de Zeeuw. I won’t watch that again.
That was the tackle that came to mind when I clicked on this, couldn't remember the player though. Remember seeing it at the time, making my blood boil, the little thug having a go at the player down even, then complaining about his card. C***.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think it was one of the old fashioned “ he is better than me so I will kick him very hard “ type tackles that we all did on Sunday mornings when a young zippy winger started running rings around us.

In this day and age they are not allowed at all.

Rednapp thought when he first saw it that was career ending

Not sure of the club/perpetrator but did a bad tackle end Gerry Ryan's career?

.....Just checked and as I thought......"Palace’s Henry Hughton which badly broke his leg and brought to an end his professional career....."

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Nah - that was much lower. Right in front of me.

He’d got the ball smack on the beak seconds earlier, and was really riled.
Right in front of me as well.

The red mist properly descended there!. Wasn't massively high, but obviously was just trying to smash the player. As obvious a red as you'll ever see from a brilliant player with a massive self destruct button.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I recall Paul Scholes doing an an awful foul against, I think, an Arsenal player. Studs up into the thigh leaving stud marks down the players thigh...obviously the ball was nowhere near...he was always portrayed as a football genius but, he was a nasty shit at times.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Paul Clark -Lil Fuchillo
Fichillo kicking everyone all afternoon
Clark introduced and broke dear Lils leg first tackle as I remember

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Back in the day, players like Ron ‘Chopper’ Harris , Norman ‘ Bite-yer-legs’Hunter and even the venerated Jack Charlton were getting away with terrible tackles every week . I am glad the refereeing is stricter now.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Ben Thatcher’s was a cowardly disgrace, on a gentle and skilled player. Got a long ban and did Thatcher’s career never truly recover?

The most vile was sewer rat El Hadji Diouf unloading spit on Arjan de Zeeuw. I won’t watch that again.
Thatcher forearm smashed a Sunderland player in the face (summerbee maybe?) whilst he was still at Wimbledon, utter scum bag of a player.

You could see the anger and rage in his face when he did it

But to answer the question, no it's not the top 5 worst horror tackles

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think it's telling that almost all of those tackles are pre-2010. Football has generally moved on from really spiteful tackles, which it why Holgate's was so surprising. It's SO bad it looks like it's straight out of the Vinny Jones "90's book of horror tackles"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The pelters Holgate has been getting on virtually every podcast, news article or highlights package are universal - roundly and rightly condemned everywhere. Interesting to see if the ban is extended - don't even know if there's an ability to do so

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I think it was one of the old fashioned “ he is better than me so I will kick him very hard “ type tackles that we all did on Sunday mornings when a young zippy winger started running rings around us.

In this day and age they are not allowed at all.

I can honestly say I've never flown, studs up, into a player's thigh. This was above and beyond a frustrated kick at a zippy winger.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The pelters Holgate has been getting on virtually every podcast, news article or highlights package are universal - roundly and rightly condemned everywhere. Interesting to see if the ban is extended - don't even know if there's an ability to do so
Made worse by lack of a public apology to Mitoma or our club. I don’t know, maybe he has done so privately (and that would be fair enough) but it grates that Wilder has said Holgate apologised to his teammates for getting sent off but that’s it. It’s a bit like one of those meaningless ‘sorry for any inconvenience caused’ apologies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Not Prem obviously but still what the kids would call a proper "Brexit tackle"

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
The amazing thing about Keane's tackle was that it was so obviously premeditated that he should have really been sent down for it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thatcher forearm smashed a Sunderland player in the face (summerbee maybe?) whilst he was still at Wimbledon, utter scum bag of a player.

You could see the anger and rage in his face when he did it

But to answer the question, no it's not the top 5 worst horror tackles

Wimbledon:
John Fashanu and Vinny Jones literally ended careers and did their best to cause skull fractures.

More recently Kevin Muscat was a disgusting thug, look up his wiki page. He spent his entire career breaking legs or ligaments. Deliberately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here