Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was it the right decision ?

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
I'm a recently qualified ref and the final decision is with the ref, no matter how much the manager protests.

Also, I went on to the pitch today and the centre circle area/goalmouth opposite the away end were fine, muddy if anything. There were patches under the (shit) covers that were a bit solid but it was touch and go. I think it could have been played. Personally.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Every industry in the country is ruled by health and safety so there is no reason why football shouldnt be. A managers first concern has to be the safety of his players and this issue has become more prominent in recent years which would probable explain why the likes of Ferguson and Wenger havent refused to allow their players to play in the past. It is common sense to listen to the views of a manager who in the most cases are ex players rather than a ref who has probably never kicked a ball or made a tackle since his school days and probably took up reffing because he couldnt play the game very well. Who would be the best judges of whether it is safe to play the game ........the managers obviously.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
all a bit irrelevant if as it appears the original post was entirely supposition without any substance in fact.

the only published fact is that the ref called it off because the pitch WAS unsafe/unplayable.

interesting discussion though.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
As a long-retired former Class 1 referee, the decision to call a game off is the referee's alone. You are instructed not to be influenced by either team or their officials. (They may have player suspension or injury issues).

He may have said I think we should play and one manager refused, which would be a very serious offence, if true.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Clearly the game shouldn't have gone ahead.. and I got as far as Bromley.
What is WRONG (IMHO) is that this info should have been decided at 9am...

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
PalG keep posting complete shit. Edited his post after a whole page of comments picking him up for repeating unsubstantiated comments. Typical of the ridiculous threads this poster seems to start. Roll on term time.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As a long-retired former Class 1 referee, the decision to call a game off is the referee's alone. You are instructed not to be influenced by either team or their officials. (They may have player suspension or injury issues).

He may have said I think we should play and one manager refused, which would be a very serious offence, if true.

This is made up or misinterpretation in order to get a response loike your one. No source - no credibility. Of course Gus didn't tell the ref he refused to let them play. Probably - if the ref is half way sensible - he canvassed the views of the manager and Gus may have said that he wasn't happy with the pitch. TOTALLY different from the (edited) proposition by the thread starter.

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
PalG keep posting complete shit. Edited his post after a whole page of comments picking him up for repeating unsubstantiated comments. Typical of the ridiculous threads this poster seems to start. Roll on term time.

Sweet.

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
This is made up or misinterpretation in order to get a response loike your one. No source - no credibility. Of course Gus didn't tell the ref he refused to let them play. Probably - if the ref is half way sensible - he canvassed the views of the manager and Gus may have said that he wasn't happy with the pitch. TOTALLY different from the (edited) proposition by the thread starter.

No, the runner of the supporters coach was on the phone to an official at Dagenham getting updates and they said that Poyet didn't want them playing on the pitch and was refusing.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Biggest load of tosh. Ref decides, ref decides ref decides. Clear enough.

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
Where the f*** did i say Poyet had the final decision, oh dear.

PalG

Nov 22, 2010
You said in the original post that the REASON the ref called the game off was because Poyet refused to play. Jesus wept.

Yeah, the pitch was playable and Poyet didn't want them playing on it because he felt it wasn't safe.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
Yeah, the pitch was playable and Poyet didn't want them playing on it because he felt it wasn't safe.

And I believe the quote was 'leaving the ref no choice' before you edited your post. That to the majority of people that read it, suggests to them that you were indeed saying the match was called off because of Poyet. That is more or less on par with insinuating Poyet had the final decision.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
So pissed off. Was near Dartford when game called off and was going to drop brother off in Enfield after the game so carried on up to there. Then traffic on way back was gridlock. All in all took 6.5 hours of my day. Why not have a 3pm kick off to give some more time to inspect the pitch?!:rant:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Leyton OFF
Palace OFF
Southend OFF

How on earth could our match have been on? Its Dagenham - not the Eden Project.

Minus 7 in Essex last night and still minus 4.5 now. The temperature hasn't been above freezing for over a week. No way was the pitch playable.

Indeed, only 1 fixture out of 11 in the Npower 1 was able to start on a day that usually gives very profitable gates for the home clubs. No conspiracy here, move along

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
So pissed off. Was near Dartford when game called off and was going to drop brother off in Enfield after the game so carried on up to there. Then traffic on way back was gridlock. All in all took 6.5 hours of my day. Why not have a 3pm kick off to give some more time to inspect the pitch?!:rant:

The pitch would begin to freeze again come 3pm!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here