Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it always the plan?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We all just have to move on countless threads about Hughton is a waste of energy now, Embrace the future.

still discussed in the media. Only yesterday The Sunday Supplement on Sky had a big feature on this. Pretty much agreeing he shouldn't of been sacked.

Until we get a manager , can't see the harm in it. Not got any games to discuss and it wont be long until summer fully kicks in and we have little news to discuss

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
still discussed in the media. Only yesterday The Sunday Supplement on Sky had a big feature on this. Pretty much agreeing he shouldn't of been sacked.

Until we get a manager , can't see the harm in it. Not got any games to discuss and it wont be long until summer fully kicks in and we have little news to discuss
Those people on The Sunday Supplement do not have to sit and watch our games every week.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Bearing in mind Chris’s record of success in getting teams promoted into the Premier League, but constant under achievement once that status looked under threat, was it always in TB’s mind to eventually replace him with a younger more dynamic manager whose ambition matches his, and that of the majority of us fans?
Phew - long sentence!

Hearing Paul Barber speak on this when asked almost the same question in January; no. He stated that the board were delighted with CH (we were on course for 10th at this point) and his only target was to continually improve on performance year-on-year (points or position). On paper, CH failed to improve last season and this was due to a rather catastrophic second half of the season performance. Had we finished 14th or on 41 points (15th) then I have no doubt CH would still be in charge.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Well I have to disagree a football manager lives and dies by the results, why they think Hughton is exempt is baffling. Mourhino has won everything and still gets sacked if the results don’t go for him.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hearing Paul Barber speak on this when asked almost the same question in January; no. He stated that the board were delighted with CH (we were on course for 10th at this point) and his only target was to continually improve on performance year-on-year (points or position). On paper, CH failed to improve last season and this was due to a rather catastrophic second half of the season performance. Had we finished 14th or on 41 points (15th) then I have no doubt CH would still be in charge.

I'll hazard a guess the death knell sounded when having spent £120,000,000 CH played a team consisting of 10 players from his Championship team.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I'll hazard a guess the death knell sounded when having spent £120,000,000 CH played a team consisting of 10 players from his Championship team.

PB preached consistent improvements, every single year. I’d imagine the board weren’t exactly impressed by watching that championship side slovenly being shoved into another premier league season by lesser opposition (Cardiff).

In fairness, he talked of CH being at the helm of all of this so I’d imagine it was a pretty painful decision rather than the ruthless one posed by the OP.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Those people on The Sunday Supplement do not have to sit and watch our games every week.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Exactly, if I hadn’t had to sit through the games since December I’d probably have a very different view.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well I have to disagree a football manager lives and dies by the results, why they think Hughton is exempt is baffling. Mourhino has won everything and still gets sacked if the results don’t go for him.

Burnley have 15 fewer points than least season, spent much of the season in the bottom three, lost 7 of their last 11 games, and 13 of their first 18.
Sean Dyche appears to be exempt from this "rule".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Reverting to comfort zone instead of trying to push on through and show belief in newbies and youth did for him, I agree

The thread I read stating that CH needed to see a player in training 30 to 40 times before he trusted them in the first team shocked me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Personally, I don't think it was always the plan. I fully accept all that has been said about TB wanting to build, season by season, a dynasty at this club. Chris was such a good fit for us, I really thought he was part of that long term dream, the dynasty in the making; a job for life even if the building process included yo-yo-ing - that's why I (and many others) were so completely shocked when he got the boot.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Burnley have 15 fewer points than least season, spent much of the season in the bottom three, lost 7 of their last 11 games, and 13 of their first 18.
Sean Dyche appears to be exempt from this "rule".
Difference being he reached the magic 40 points total, if we had things might of been different for CH.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think TB would have been more than happy, or as they say in football over the moon to have continued our 1st half of the season form into the 2nd. If so CH would still be manager.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because Mr Bloom gave CH £120,000,000 to spend in order to keep his job and progress in the Premier League.

But you quoted the post that referenced Ashworth?

Given that since the announcement of his arrival our form dipped, we didn’t sign any first team ready players in the transfer window and the manager has gone, can any correlation be completely dismissed?

I don’t know just saying.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
But you quoted the post that referenced Ashworth?

Given that since the announcement of his arrival our form dipped, we didn’t sign any first team ready players in the transfer window and the manager has gone, can any correlation be completely dismissed?

I don’t know just saying.....

Oh gosh, if you're going to quote 'I'm just saying' Trumpian conspiracy theories you really should know better.

Ashworth was signed mid February, the Albion got 1 point in all of January and 1 point in early February.
No first team ready players were signed in January because CH didn't want any.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh gosh, if you're going to quote 'I'm just saying' Trumpian conspiracy theories you really should know better.

Ashworth was signed mid February, the Albion got 1 point in all of January and 1 point in early February.
No first team ready players were signed in January because CH didn't want any.

I thought Ashworth started then, but was announced in 2018.

I don’t think anyone is gullible enough to think he wasn’t in communication, between the announcement and start date....

Just saying [emoji6][emoji23]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here