Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Was it a penalty?

Was it a penalty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Genuinely astonished that this isn’t absolutely unanimous. It’s a stonewall penalty.

The ‘but he played the ball’ brigade clearly don’t know the rules.

NSC would be in absolute uproar if we weren’t given a penalty for that.
It's you who doesn't know the rules.

In instances where there's no suspicion of violent conduct then getting to the ball first absolutely is the determining factor in whether an offence has been committed.

What you're getting confused with is instances where someone uses excessive force or endangers an opponent. Then it doesn't matter if they've got the ball first. But there's no suggestion of that here

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Watch the Wolves highlights they have been shafted again by VAR/REF the ref was sent to the monitor to make his own judgement on an offside call bizarre.

Anyway Wolves concede a penalty the commentators clearly say the player wasn’t judged to have got ANY of the ball so VAR gives the pen.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don’t think it’s ever changed has it? That has always been a penalty. If ‘football has gone forever’ then I guess you’ll never be watching it again?

Grow up FFS. It’s a clear penalty and we got battered 3-0 anyway.
Yes i will still be watching as i paid for my ST for next season. The poll results dont go along with what you say as a
Clear penalty.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That was the right call, firstly the ref today couldn’t wait to point to the spot and secondly VAR weren’t interested it was Arsenal against a mid table side.
So if the rules are the same as that, if you touch the ball, as long as it’s not dangerous, it’s not a foul 🤷🏻‍♂️

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Does it matter?

Arsenal could have subbed me on for Rayes, at halftime, and they still would have won 0-3.
I dunno, your distribution might have been better and they could have scored more

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I dunno, your distribution might have been better and they could have scored more
I am prepared to.conceed had I started in goal for Arsenal the game might have ended 1-3.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is making contact definitely a get out of jail card?
Not in law. There is nothing in the law about contact with the ball with regard to fouls, nor contact with the ball first nor how much contact is needed. But it is the explanation given when the ref doesn't give the foul (not just by pundits trying to explain it, but you will sometimes see refs gesture toward the ball, or make a sphere shape with their hands to indicated he 'got the ball'. I try to defend refs or explain their decisions as best I can, but this approach of 'some times it matters, sometimes it doesn't' really annoys me.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
So where in the rules does it say it dont matter about making contact with the ball.
Let’s hear your understanding of the rule.

You don’t actually have one, do you? You’re just basing it on what you have heard and what you assume.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Im not talking about the result. The title said was it a penalty. If youmake contact with the ball first that a fair tackle.
According to whom? You?

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
According to whom? You?

To be fair, we are just in and even the sky sports team were saying if VAR had gotten involved, the fact he got the ball first may have saved him….Many other similar situations have been found to be not penalties… When does a tackle end would be my question?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
It’s a penalty. Silly clumsy tackle from the wrong side with a dangled leg. Gets a touch on the ball initially, but stops Jesus getting the second ball.

Pedro has won almost identical penalties for us this season.

However, the rest of the officiating in the first half was suspect as hell. Offsides missed, simple free kicks to us missed. Very, very poor.
Spot on.

I called pen immediately, however when you slow it down Lamptey’s touch was stronger than I first thought….

Not enough ultimately to warrant it being overturned though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The official site and other outlets making a thing of it and Lamptey saying he thought he got some of the ball - nobody really knows the interpretation of the rules do they 🤷🏻‍♂️ it’s very odd.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, it was a decision I can't complain about. His connection to the ball was tenuous and he clearly plays the man

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here