[Albion] Was it a penalty?

Was it a penalty?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
View attachment 180074
Yep. As per when we were all told by Howard Webb that this wasn't a penalty because he touched the ball first.
To be honest it was a clumsy challenge by Lamptey and I can see why it was given but they change the rules according to which team is appealing.
i wonder why we bother watching if the officials can make such shocking errors, then come out with such bollocks to excuse them.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Is this a direct quote from Howard Webb? As the head of the PGMOL, or whatever they’re called, he would know that touching the ball has nothing to do with the decision. If it is a direct quote no wonder refereeing is such a mess.
I may be confusing Webb and Gallagher on Ref Watch but here's what Webb said so judge for yourself. For me that one is a stone cold 100% penalty and I could not believe it wasn't given because Doku touched the ball.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Genuinely astonished that this isn’t absolutely unanimous. It’s a stonewall penalty.

The ‘but he played the ball’ brigade clearly don’t know the rules.

NSC would be in absolute uproar if we weren’t given a penalty for that.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is making contact definitely a get out of jail card?
Is making contact definitely a get out of jail card?
Yes apparently you can kick the ball away cleanly and then take out an anti tank missile and blast the attacker to smithereens and say ‘I GOT THE BALL REF’ and fully expect him to wave play on.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Genuinely astonished that this isn’t absolutely unanimous. It’s a stonewall penalty.

This.

briref

Aug 12, 2008
Oh yeah
Ask biased Brighton fans.
Obviously they say no.

Ask the Arsenal they say yes

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Yeah I know but it's still going to feed a kvetchathon.
I've got alot of time for you usually SB, but you can bore off on this one!

We're allowed to admit we were poor and deserved to lose (universal on here tonight) whilst also debating / complaining about a clearly crap VAR decision (that happened at 0-0 need I remind you)!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I may be confusing Webb and Gallagher on Ref Watch but here's what Webb said so judge for yourself. For me that one is a stone cold 100% penalty and I could not believe it wasn't given because Doku touched the ball.

I think he's more saying var was right to not intervene in that case because Doku did make contact, rather than it wasn't a foul in his opinion. But then a similar approach should've been applied today :rolleyes:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
When did the rules change to how much contact with the ball. TL clearly touches the ball first. Thats called a tackle. If you then make contact with the player so what.

If thats a penalty then football is gone forever. Might as well ban all tackles.
I don’t think it’s ever changed has it? That has always been a penalty. If ‘football has gone forever’ then I guess you’ll never be watching it again?

Grow up FFS. It’s a clear penalty and we got battered 3-0 anyway.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

So where in the rules does it say it dont matter about making contact with the ball.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I don’t think it’s ever changed has it? That has always been a penalty. If ‘football has gone forever’ then I guess you’ll never be watching it again?

Grow up FFS. It’s a clear penalty and we got battered 3-0 anyway.
Im not talking about the result. The title said was it a penalty. If youmake contact with the ball first that a fair tackle.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’s a penalty. Silly clumsy tackle from the wrong side with a dangled leg. Gets a touch on the ball initially, but stops Jesus getting the second ball.

Pedro has won almost identical penalties for us this season.

However, the rest of the officiating in the first half was suspect as hell. Offsides missed, simple free kicks to us missed. Very, very poor.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Thing I don’t get is the Solly March one at Villa few years ago he got off as he touched ball. The rules changed? They confuse me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here