Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was I Naive Taking My Young Son in the Family Stand?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I'm near the top of the family stand and there's been no bother of any time so far this season that I've seen though I appreciate it's too big an area to generalise about.

My kids do sometimes ask me what the North are singing and I have to politely decline ...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
if they (the club ) dont want rowdy fans in the family area they need to extend the north stand as for the last 3 games the only ticket i could get was family stand i would much rather be in the north where the noise is made

Do you mean they sold you a ticket in the family stand and you didn't have a child with you?

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
I'm in the East too with my nephew and love the atmosphere there. I have not heard anything out of order yet, nor witnessed anyone getting carried away.

There were a few less kids there last night but to be honest I have seen that quite a bit with the evening games. School in the morning. That and the fact it was going to be a bit aggressive yesterday meant my nephew gave it a miss.... wish I had.

It is sad yes, but you should expect to see the odd doughnut. I learnt all my swear words at the Goldstone as a youngster.... with my Dad ???

The east stand is really starting to get involved with the singing. I love it there and hope to get my kids a season ticket to share amongst them next season.

Don't let a few wallys ruin it for you.

Seagulls!! :bhasign::bhasign::bhasign:

black shadow

Jul 22, 2011
Hassocks
Do you mean fans singing songs being passionate about their team and trying to get a atmosphere going if this is not your thing go home and watch the TV and that goes for all those who complain about the singing in all sections of the ground if you dont like it dont come we need supporters from all ages who are vocal and make some noise its not the theatre its a football stadium !!!!!!

You're totally missing the point here - there is a slight difference between "singing songs/being passionate about your team" and hurling a constant stream of foul language/gestures every other minute. We had season tickets in lower West stand and were surrounded by neanderthals whose vocabulary revolved around F, C & W words !!? Also racist at times. We reported this to stewards and to the club directly - never received a reply. So we've moved to East stand, South end, which is better but not without its problems.
totally agree that the club need to put more effort into concentrating the more "passionate" fans, as you put it, in one area.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
what club has a set of fans that create a song for just one stand? Ridiculous, as is your statement.

Most. And we have been doing it for years. "We are the Brighton, the Brighton FC, we are the North stand army". But that was when people weren't quite so precious.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Most. And we have been doing it for years. "We are the Brighton, the Brighton FC, we are the North stand army". But that was when people weren't quite so precious.

you've taken my quote a little out of context, if you read what I was responding to.

Last edited:

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Not excusing it but higher profile games like this tend to change, for whatever reason, the mix in the Family Stand. Was the case at Withdean as well. What was your experience last season at say the Southampton game when the Family Stand was 'livelier' than usual? The season before you'll recall Hammond being called a wanker by three sides of the Withdean after his goal celebrations. For what it's worth, my older son, who is not in the Family Section is well aware that Palace are 'f***ing pikey bastards'. He can also put it in context. Apart from crushes in the crowd, younger children usualy find the whole thing exciting but with a good father as I am sure you are, can put things in context pretty easily.

paul381

Apr 22, 2008
With the greatest of respect, you missed my point by a country mile.

I have no problem with 'enthusiastic' support, in fact I am guilty of it myself in the past! But not racist and foul language in front of youngsters in the family stand.This is supposed to be a haven nurturing our fans of the future not knuckle draggers!!

sorry misunderstood no room for that kind of behaviour thought you just meant fans standing up chanting been hearing alot about fans telling supporters to be quite thought it was another one of those

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Loads more blokes with no kids in the FS last night but seemed okay. My kids said that they know that people are only allowed to swear at football!!!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I swear like a trooper (not proud of it) but my son wouldn't dare, he knows he's not allowed & neither does he show any interest in it at all, call me a bad parent if you must but I've heard kids of very well to do parents thinking it's great to be foul mouthed, I just feel you can't cushion them from hearing swearing as it's everywhere & the bigger deal you make of it the more kids will become fascinated by it.
I'm not saying there's a right or a wrong way but all I'm saying is not one of my kids (I have 5) use foul language & are very polite & respect there elders.
I also think it's disgusting to swear in the family stand as I know not all parents have the same views as me & the family stand should be a safe haven from this kind of thing.
Again I'm not saying my way is right but it works for my children

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
It is surprising to hear that supporters are taking young children to evening games even more so when the opposition is likely to lead to violance,schooling is more of a priority than any football match,youngsters have many years ahead of them to enjoy our national game.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
It is surprising to hear that supporters are taking young children to evening games even more so when the opposition is likely to lead to violance,schooling is more of a priority than any football match,youngsters have many years ahead of them to enjoy our national game.

That's a joke right?

If my son didn't go to any evening games, he'd miss loads. Mind you I didn't take him last night, but that's because I thought it might get a little out of hand.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It was always said that the family stand was zero tolerance for swearing and over the top behaviour. Obviously the odd word's going to slip through but if people are persistently objectionable they should be chucked out. This isn't 1980 any more. Parents should be able to take their kids and enjoy and be part of a good atmosphere. There are plenty of other places in the ground that people can let off steam without doing it in front of young kids. In fact, any adult with half a brain would tone down their behaviour in that section anyway.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Jesus christ its FOOTBALL, not the bloody theatre. My dad used to take me on the old East terrace at the Goldstone and there was PLENTY of choice language all around us there, as well as the clearly audible 'foul-mouthed' songs and chanting from the North Stand. As a kid, I knew not to use the swear words as I'd get a clip round the ear.

Some people just want this game so damn sanitised, and then wonder why we sometimes struggle to get an atmosphere going. If your delicate child cannot be exposed to the HORROR of some swearing in a football ground, then either don't bring him, or plug him into a Jedward album on an iPod for the duration (which would be far more damaging in the long run in my opinion).

Obviously if there is some tool nearby unleashing a non-stop string of F's and C's for 90 minutes then have a word. But generally, I think if you take your kiddiwinks to a football match, its par for the course that they're going to hear some industrial language, regardless of where you sit.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Out of the 3 late recent home games I only took my boy to the Liverpool one, mainly because I thought it might kick off

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
this thread seems to be all about swearing but wasn't the OP commenting on the aggressivenees of certain fans?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
wasn't it supposed to b named the ''respect'' stand...scant respect paid last night..i'd rather the louts shouted out for the club than spent there time gesticulating towards the opposition supporters

and when i say respect i mean for there own supporters around them

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Jesus christ its FOOTBALL, not the bloody theatre. My dad used to take me on the old East terrace at the Goldstone and there was PLENTY of choice language all around us there, as well as the clearly audible 'foul-mouthed' songs and chanting from the North Stand. As a kid, I knew not to use the swear words as I'd get a clip round the ear.

Some people just want this game so damn sanitised, and then wonder why we sometimes struggle to get an atmosphere going. If your delicate child cannot be exposed to the HORROR of some swearing in a football ground, then either don't bring him, or plug him into a Jedward album on an iPod for the duration (which would be far more damaging in the long run in my opinion).

Obviously if there is some tool nearby unleashing a non-stop string of F's and C's for 90 minutes then have a word. But generally, I think if you take your kiddiwinks to a football match, its par for the course that they're going to hear some industrial language, regardless of where you sit.
Exactly this !!!
Although I think the FS should try & cut it out a bit if it's as bad as people are saying.
Me & my 8 year old are in the west & I love atmosphere

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

I stood in the chicken run as a kid on a few occasions and I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for - my cousins who took me were pretty clear about that. It was raucous, a little bit scary, and their was choice language. But that was all made very clear in advance.

The family stand has been created as a safe haven for parents who'd rather not expose their kids to the swearing you're likely to find elsewhere in the ground. It's not a big place and parents who are more relaxed about the language have most of the rest of the stadium to choose from.

The atmosphere there is pretty good and although we can hear the swearing from the north, it's not like having loads of people around you constantly doing it. The club made it clear this area is zero tolerance for swearing so people will understandably get upset if people don't respect this very modest rule.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I stood in the chicken run as a kid on a few occasions and I knew exactly what I was letting myself in for - my cousins who took me were pretty clear about that. It was raucous, a little bit scary, and their was choice language. But that was all made very clear in advance.

The family stand has been created as a safe haven for parents who'd rather not expose their kids to the swearing you're likely to find elsewhere in the ground. It's not a big place and parents who are more relaxed about the language have most of the rest of the stadium to choose from.

The atmosphere there is pretty good and although we can hear the swearing from the north, it's not like having loads of people around you constantly doing it. The club made it clear this area is zero tolerance for swearing so people will understandably get upset if people don't respect this very modest rule.

Nobody ever died from bad language, and its nothing the kids won't already have heard a thousand times before in the playground. As far as I'm concerned, as long as they know the boundaries of what is and is not acceptable (which will have or should have been instilled in them from the parents), then some choice language at a football ground shouldn't send them into a decline.

Within reason. I sit in the WSU, and if there was someone who spent the entire game spitting out f's and c's then I'd have a word meself regardless - no-one should have to put up with someone going totally OTT. But in general, I think if you take a child to football, wherever you sit its going to involve a degree of bad language. This ain't crown green bowls.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here