Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was bringing BZ in a way to shut the fans up?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I can see why some might be suspicious of the signing with respect to the forum.

I can see why some are suspicious because some are suspicious about Paul Barber wearing an orange jumper but for everyone else if you were actually at the forum and witnessed the friendly nature of it and the ease with which the three of them batted back questions (they do about 4 or 5 of these things a year anyway), you'd realise the notion that anyone makes signings on the basis of avoiding a grilling on a local radio show is simply ridiculous.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I can see why some are suspicious because some are suspicious about Paul Barber wearing an orange jumper but for everyone else if you were actually at the forum and witnessed the friendly nature of it and the ease with which the three of them batted back questions (they do about 4 or 5 of these things a year anyway), you'd realise the notion that anyone makes signings on the basis of avoiding a grilling on a local radio show is simply ridiculous.

Sounding more and more like this every day....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I was pointing out that the latest rumour to explain why Bobby Zamora hadn't signed was, as repeated by Adam Virgo during commentary on Sunday, that Hughton wasn't particularly interested in signing him. That Nathan Jones was eager, but Chris not so much.

That, paired with the timing of the signing, could be taken by the cynical among us as suspicious.

If you're the cynical sort, you'll also take claims the manager has the final say with a pinch of salt (and possibly point to the signings of Harper and Hambo that Bloom seems to be pushing as first team signings, and Hughton is reported to view as development signings showing some difference in viewing of our signings).

Besides, even if Hughton is reluctant, and takes some convincing, Bloom's claim Chris has the final say is still true.

But again, I'm not saying this is the case, just that given the rumour and the timing I can see why some might be suspicious of the signing with respect to the forum.

How about if Hughton was initially reluctant as he was worried about the budget implications, but was then reassured that the Zamora costs were outside of the budget he had been given ? ???

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I was pointing out that the latest rumour to explain why Bobby Zamora hadn't signed was, as repeated by Adam Virgo during commentary on Sunday, that Hughton wasn't particularly interested in signing him. That Nathan Jones was eager, but Chris not so much.

That, paired with the timing of the signing, could be taken by the cynical among us as suspicious.

If you're the cynical sort, you'll also take claims the manager has the final say with a pinch of salt (and possibly point to the signings of Harper and Hambo that Bloom seems to be pushing as first team signings, and Hughton is reported to view as development signings showing some difference in viewing of our signings).

Besides, even if Hughton is reluctant, and takes some convincing, Bloom's claim Chris has the final say is still true.

But again, I'm not saying this is the case, just that given the rumour and the timing I can see why some might be suspicious of the signing with respect to the forum.

If I were the Chairman, the notion of signing a player to avoid criticism from the fans would not enter my head. It would be a pathetic, weak action.

It is a laughable notion as a Chairman always knows the fans will find something to moan about regardless of signings, good or bad. If BZ hadn't signed, TB would still have been at the forum, would have answered the questions/complaints, gone to bed and not lost any sleep, and then got on with running the club this morning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
How about if Hughton was initially reluctant as he was worried about the budget implications, but was then reassured that the Zamora costs were outside of the budget he had been given ? ???

Is that the first time anyone has suggested that? I've not read much over the last two days.

It's what I could see as being a deal-clincher...

1) Hughton was aware of Zamora's availability and desire to return to the Albion.
2) Hughton knew his budget and knew how much Zamora would take of that. He didn't want to spend that, at least not early on in the transfer window, with so much wheeling and dealing to come.
3) Hughton gets told he can have Zamora as a present, that his budget remains unaffected.
4) Hughton says "Well, now you put it like that..."

Please note: I have absolutely no knowledge of information to suggest the above is in any way accurate, but it was a scenario that had also come to my mind.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is that the first time anyone has suggested that? I've not read much over the last two days.

It's what I could see as being a deal-clincher...

1) Hughton was aware of Zamora's availability and desire to return to the Albion.
2) Hughton knew his budget and knew how much Zamora would take of that. He didn't want to spend that, at least not early on in the transfer window, with so much wheeling and dealing to come.
3) Hughton gets told he can have Zamora as a present, that his budget remains unaffected.
4) Hughton says "Well, now you put it like that..."

Please note: I have absolutely no knowledge of information to suggest the above is in any way accurate, but it was a scenario that had also come to my mind.

I remember 'Arry describing a similar scenario when Spurs signed Van der Vaart (notwithstanding Redknapp's dubious grasp of the concept of a 'budget') - effectively Levy just went out, wheeled the deal and said to Harry, "Here you go - it's a present".

Again I'm not entirely certain of what the argument is here, but I don't see that as 'shutting the fans up'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I were the Chairman, the notion of signing a player to avoid criticism from the fans would not enter my head. It would be a pathetic, weak action.

It is a laughable notion as a Chairman always knows the fans will find something to moan about regardless of signings, good or bad. If BZ hadn't signed, TB would still have been at the forum, would have answered the questions/complaints, gone to bed and not lost any sleep, and then got on with running the club this morning.

100% this.

Even if the rumour about FBS offering to pay BZ's wages is true (which I doubt), surely that still comes into FFP reckoning, doesn't it?

SAC

May 21, 2014
100% this.

Even if the rumour about FBS offering to pay BZ's wages is true (which I doubt), surely that still comes into FFP reckoning, doesn't it?

Yes (I believe). If a third party wanted to pay a players wages they would need to pay the club the money and the club would pay the player. I'm pretty sure that there are rules in place against anyone paying a player direct.

kjgood

Some seem to be assuming that we were the only option that BZ had. He probably had several if not more than several offers to join other clubs. Maybe even clubs who stand on paper a better chance of promotion than us..........who knows? Not many players nowadays have a respect and loyalty to a club (cough......... business).

We probably fitted into BZ's plans with our offer better than the others regarding location, stadium, training ground and a ready formed fan club. Probably beats bids from Rotherham or Rochdale.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
So who is Hughton (and presumably Bloom and Barber are in on it as well) going to sign now to shut up all the fans who think signing Zamora was a cynical move to shut up all the fans. ?

Mark McCammon.......................The Homecoming.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If giving a bunch of serial whingers a £120 million stadium and training ground wasn't enough to shut them up, signing a player who scored three goals last season ain't going to do it either.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
If giving a bunch of serial whingers a £120 million stadium and training ground wasn't enough to shut them up, signing a player who scored three goals last season ain't going to do it either.

Don't be so negative.

Focus on promotion, and all it promises -- brand new whinging!

About ticket increases, sellouts, clueless new fans, heartless corporatism, Sky TV, massively overpaid players, fewer games...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I sometimes long for the old days before the internet and the existence of fans forums. In the good old days you just simply supported your team - instead I feel like my emotions are being hijacked by the paranoia and sometimes deluded thought processes of people I will never meet. Obviously the irony of me posting this is not lost on me.
BZ coming back to Brighton obviously has benefits apart from pure footballing ones. But it seems to me that no matter who is or isn't signed there will be a thread that tries to pour cold water on it.
Some examples of how a fans forum reacts to signings:
A) the player purchased is just what we need but the player himself is only using us as a stepping stone - no loyalty in football.
B) the player was obviously not our first choice (even when there maybe no evidence of this.
C) he maybe a good player etc. but don't we need a CB, winger , LB etc etc etc

And now this reaction to BZ signing - if he had played less than 10 games last season I would have agreed that this signing was more sentimental than practical. But he has been playing regularly at a higher level. Yes there is a good deal of emotion attached to this signing both on BZ's part and us as fans - but isn't that so refreshing in this day and age of corporate football. Also Hughton has worked with BZ in the past and the attributes he will bring to the team will be of real benefit.

So I am going to love seeing BZ back in the stripes and will revel in the sheer emotion of his home coming.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Yes he was sighed to appease our deluded obsessed fans who never stop bleating on about past players...Just covers a few cracks although I doubt Zamora will play that many this season anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here