Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was asked this question in a football quiz.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
In the unlikely event that Yeovil get promoted there would then be four clubs.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Grimsby were promoted to top flight in 1902. Wiki say the answer is actually 4 clubs. Grimsby, Carlisle, Luton and Oxford.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Accrington Stanley have been in the top flight (founding members), wouldn't they be one? I also thought Notts County could have been one, but unsure if they were ever in the conference.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There are 4 that have played in all the 4 FL Divisions and The Conference: Carlisle, Luton Oxford and Grimsby but none have risen from The Conference they have all gone down to The Conference after better times in a higher division.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Accrington Stanley have been in the top flight (founding members), wouldn't they be one? I also thought Notts County could have been one, but unsure if they were ever in the conference.

Its not Notts County. After thinking it was I looked it up and you are right. They were never in conference but very close to relegation 2005/6 when they escaped the drop on the final day of the season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Grimsby were promoted to top flight in 1902. Wiki say the answer is actually 4 clubs. Grimsby, Carlisle, Luton and Oxford.

Stockport County were in the top flight for 5 seasons and having played at all levels including the Conference are now in Conference North.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Didn't Accrington go out of existence , so the current club is technically a different one

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bradford Park Avenue have played in all four top Leagues. They went bust and are now back in Conference North, but don't think they have ever got back to Conference level yet.

They were completely liquidated in the 70s and reformed so although the name is the same, it's not the same club.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Stockport County were in the top flight for 5 seasons and having played at all levels including the Conference are now in Conference North.

And Whitehawk in Conference South so at the same level as Stockport! Who would have predicted that? Whitehawk v Stockport.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
True...did'nt they get successive promotions and demotions?

I'm pretty sure you're right there. There are some Match of the Day clips of Northampton being in the top flight. Seems bizarre to have them rubbing shoulders with the likes of Tottenham, Leeds and Chelsea. They'd fallen right back by the time of George Best's televised six goals against them in the 1970s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here