Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Was asked the question today how would Gulls Eye have reacted to these goings on.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
I used to buy Gulls Eye and And Smith Must Score (whatever happened to that) but I think there is a big difference to those days and now. The difference is that the current board are trying to build a football club for the top flight. In those days the club was in serial decline and ended up with no ground and in Gillingham. Dont get me wrong, I will have nothing to do with membership schemes and I am a pay on the day away fan, but if they think these membership schemes will drive revenue for the club then fair enough. As for playing staff then really we cant expect Bloom to put his hand in his pocket for the players you mention. If he does (as he did this year) then we (and the manager) have to be grateful but we cannot expect it and that is why driving revenue is important to the Albion.

I agree those days are different. But....... we are now getting 30,000 and with a season ticket for me and my two boys numerous burgers, drinks, programmes, shirts, away games, memberships, memberships , memberships, etc etc etc we should be able to have an voice. Or should we all take another mortgage out for the albion.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We certainly would have got a couple of t shirts out over this sorry mess, including the obligatory Poodunnit with Peter Falk as Colombo.

With all due respect to the very entertaining TSLR, but what we need now is some 20 something's Albion fans to bring out a fanzine with a bit of bollocks that asks the right questions, then again the way the banning culture has evolved at the club, I wonder how long they would last before getting the dreaded letter?

To be fair though, fanzines are a couple of decades past their sell-by date. Nowadays they are month-old news as soon as you buy one. They're there purely to boost the ego of their makers and to provide something to read on a long boring coach journey if you don't have a phone that can receive NSC. Football fan equivalent of Morris Dancing. IMHO, like.

Video killed the radio star. Internet killed the fanzine.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It would be nice of questions were asked, I wonder what happened to the Hinge and Brackett of phone ins, Harty and Hawsey ? It would be nice if they would grill Barber like they did Dick Tight on SCR and let him make a fool of himself. 'I promise 5 new signings' but we didn't think they would include the likes of Dixon and McFool

Feb 14, 2010
I agree those days are different. But....... we are now getting 30,000 and with a season ticket for me and my two boys numerous burgers, drinks, programmes, shirts, away games, memberships, memberships , memberships, etc etc etc we should be able to have an voice. Or should we all take another mortgage out for the albion.

I understand mate, and my view the solution is a higher capacity with a return to a choice of terrace or seats. As for shirts, well I dont buy football shirts but understand your kids might want them, but "when I was a boy" that was what birthdays and Christmas was for. The club is still losing money and players wages only ever go up. Bloom is still supporting this club with his own cash despite the 30,000 crowds. We have a right to expect success with our crowds but Bloom really has done a fantastic job with our club and the club has to drive revenue.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
To be fair though, fanzines are a couple of decades past their sell-by date. Nowadays they are month-old news as soon as you buy one. They're there purely to boost the ego of their makers and to provide something to read on a long boring coach journey if you don't have a phone that can receive NSC. Football fan equivalent of Morris Dancing. IMHO, like.

Oh no would of the coach superfans!!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Hasn't time just moved on?

It was all very nice having 5k at Withdean and getting soaked, but as soon the club moved to The Amex, things were inevitably going to change. What is being proposed in terms of membership schemes etc.. is no different to the schemes at some premier league clubs.

In terms of communication, of course we'd like to know, but maybe the club is being more professional by keeping things behind closed doors.

Presumably the club will have a fans forum that might be an opportunity.

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester

5 years and 50th issue in August.

:thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Certainly not, but are you happy with the current goings on then?

Not 'happy' exactly, but I don't think Barber has some hidden agenda to destroy the club - the exact opposite in fact. This current spat is a mere ripple in the pond compared to the Dark Days.

EDIT: And I agree with THPP. The fanzine has joined the carrier pigeon and the telegram in the communication stakes.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I can't see how a bunch of 20 something Albion fans running a fanzine with a bit of bollocks is being stuck in the past. No-one's imagining that Beach Hut will take to it, but he's as decrepit an old fart as I am.
Jeez you youngsters...I must have been an old fart who has floated away with Seagull lights in his eyes....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here