Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Warning: persistent anti-social behaviour

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Has the Bear Pit runs it’s course yet? Seems a lot of the goading is an attempt to get threads shifted over there to continue the bullshittery. Get rid of the Bear Pit and quickfire bans for the responsible parties on the main board?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You could equally say that about the two people Bozza is referring to, if people have a problem they can just ignore them. But if you add them to an ignore list, a conversation between them and others goes on it makes the thread less readable. If it's the mod's decision that specific away fans can use this board to troll, so be it, but I wouldn't pretend that the ignore function fixes that, just as it doesn't fix other abusive posters.
I have mentioned before that on Tapatalk "ignore" is next to useless.

1) Any post that is the last on a thread is still shown in the New posts/Unread/Subscribed views whether the poster is "ignored" or not.

2) Any ignored post that is quoted is still shown in the quote.

Unless a user wants to ditch Tapatalk then "ignore" is meaningless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You could equally say that about the two people Bozza is referring to, if people have a problem they can just ignore them. But if you add them to an ignore list, a conversation between them and others goes on it makes the thread less readable. If it's the mod's decision that specific away fans can use this board to troll, so be it, but I wouldn't pretend that the ignore function fixes that, just as it doesn't fix other abusive posters.

That's a fair take, to be honest. I'll personally pay a little more attention to the posters you're bothered about. If I think they're taking the piss, perhaps I'll change my view.

To be clear though - a Palace fan choosing to only post when they have something to crow about, and disappearing when they're shit, falls short of my threshold, for sure. There are a significant number of OUR fans, who only seem to post when there is something to whine about, and go missing when things are going well.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So what's your excuse for continuing to allow Dougie and SE20 to post?
They disappear for weeks at a time only to pop up again when Palace are in the ascendancy.
Ban me if you like but your stand on anti social posting smacks of double standards.

Why would I ban someone for asking a question?

The truth is those two posters bug the shit out of me too, primarily because I hate Crystal Palace as much as the next (Brighton supporting) man, and their presence tends to indicate that Palace have the upper hand over Albion again.

But that's what football rivalry is about. If you're going to give it out, you've got to take it. Follow the few posts in this twitter thread for my views on that:

[tweet]1500952901551857665[/tweet]

However, I am well aware that there are two broad camps on NSC on this. The first is broadly as I outline above, whilst the second is "they have no place here, why do you let them post?" And, if I didn't own this site, I'd probably very much sit in this second camp.

But today (or as of last night) I'm drawing a line on my previous leniency. Lots of people have been given far more chances than they deserve and that will not continue.

However, I think this would be a poorer place for the lack of opposing fans but, as above, I am aware of how some smart when, for example, we've turned a bit rubbish and Palace are on a good run. I feel it myself. I've suggested before a "Palace banter" thread, for want of a better desription. This would be the only thread that Palace fans looking to mock could use. Those that are happy to engage in that could do so, whilst everyone else could just ignore that thread, and continue using NSC in blissful ignorance.

It would be the equivalent of what I understand to be the BBS "away end" where I think most/all opposing fans are shunted, removing them from main disvussion topics.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Ok. Well I know which posters he's referring to, but Dougie does also fall into the category of only being here to do all the things Bozza listed, just not in a racist way (did he ever justify his homophobic signature on the BBS?)

The last time I checked his homophobic signature on bbs was still there. I have never seen him try to justify his homophobic signature here (can a homophobic comment ever be justified?). I'm assuming that he thinks that as long as he isn't directly homophobic on NSC he can escape any sanction for his homophobia.

But we know what you are Dougie.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Dougie and a couple of other Nig31s might be irritating tosspots on here (which I'm sure is the exact intention as WUMs) but not sure what someone has posted on an entirely separate board (that most of us won't look at anyway) needs to be justified on here really........where would that line be drawn ??
He's been accused of having a homophobic signature, he hasn't (or at least hadn't) denied it or removed it, so he posts here with people believing he's being homophobic. In terms of where should the line be drawn, who else is doing something like that? If a poster here is shown to be being racist elsewhere and offers no denial or explanation, I'd be quite happy for them to be removed too. Why would we want people who are being racist or homophobic etc to be posting here?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The last time I checked his homophobic signature on bbs was still there. I have never seen him try to justify his homophobic signature here (can a homophobic comment ever be justified?). I'm assuming that he thinks that as long as he isn't directly homophobic on NSC he can escape any sanction for his homophobia.

But we know what you are Dougie.

The truth is those two posters bug the shit out of me too, primarily because I hate Crystal Palace as much as the next (Brighton supporting) man, and their presence tends to indicate that Palace have the upper hand over Albion again.

But that's what football rivalry is about. If you're going to give it out, you've got to take it. Follow the few posts in this twitter thread for my views on that:

However, I am well aware that there are two broad camps on NSC on this. The first is broadly as I outline above, whilst the second is "they have no place here, why do you let them post?" And, if I didn't own this site, I'd probably very much sit in this second camp.

But today (or as of last night) I'm drawing a line on my previous leniency. Lots of people have been given far more chances than they deserve and that will not continue.

However, I think this would be a poorer place for the lack of opposing fans but, as above, I am aware of how some smart when, for example, we've turned a bit rubbish and Palace are on a good run. I feel it myself. I've suggested before a "Palace banter" thread, for want of a better desription. This would be the only thread that Palace fans looking to mock could use. Those that are happy to engage in that could do so, whilst everyone else could just ignore that thread, and continue using NSC in blissful ignorance.

It would be the equivalent of what I understand to be the BBS "away end" where I think most/all opposing fans are shunted, removing them from main disvussion topics.
What changed last night? Not having a go, just curious.

MTSeagulls

Sep 18, 2019
Love a good :flounce::flounce::flounce::flounce:
It wouldn't even make Man Of Harvey's top 100.
But to be honest I don't enjoy this board anymore and I could just log out and not post again.
However I am so peed off about the mods failure to deal with these trolls that I want there to be some work involved in getting rid of me.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Will the NSC Two be told (privately) who they are before the bans?

My view is it's Bozza's forum and he can do what he wants. Benevolent Dictator and all that. If anyone doesn't like it they can set up their own forum or go to Reddit or Discord or what have you.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

All for it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What changed last night? Not having a go, just curious.
A couple of posters were continuing with their alt-right quotes from choice sources and winding some others up.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
A couple of posters were continuing with their alt-right quotes from choice sources and winding some others up.
Ah thanks, I don’t bother with that nonsense so I guess that’s why I missed it.

Cheers

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Been there and done that, and I reckon I'm not the only one, but you guys do nothing.

How would you know what we've done?

Unless a permanent ban is issued - and that's very rare for a one-off action - there is nothiing written about warnings given out, and any warnings are only visible to the moderators and the user themself.

Having just checked one of the board's chief trouble-makers, I see they have had 20 warnings over the last few years. Anyone looking on would think "the mods have done nothing" when in fact we've acted numerous times!

So the next question might be "If you've warned someone 20 times, why haven't you taken sterner action?" - which would be perfectly valid.

We've probably relied too heavily on the board's infraction system which is set up to issue board bans - just a few days at first, and ultimately permanent if required - automatically based on repeated warnings being issued. I'm not sure if it works entirely correctly, or if the posters in question have just been fortunate that their numerous warnings have always been sufficiently spaced out such that a permanent ban has never been automatically issued.

I think we'll be moderating a little bit more by gut feel from now on, as I've tried to outline. If people repeatedly act in a manner that we generally feel is unpleasant and disruptive to the community here, we'll take firmer steps, and sooner, to stop that.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think quite a lot of us fall into a third camp - those that post here when times are good or bad are decent rivals to have. Just as I'd rather have a beer and chat with a Palace fan in a pub than some southern Manure fan. If Palace do well and someone like Mr Putdown or loz (I think, apologies if I've got that wrong) want to gloat, then fair play. It's just the ones who only turn up to take the piss when we're doing badly that do nothing to benefit this forum. All they do is the things you're opening post says you won't tolerate.

Personally I don't think an away end or similar is needed, just more stringent rules on what sort of Palace fans should be allowed here. No, not only ones that sit there and take a beating, but ones that can at least take it a bit if they're going to dish it out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
…I want there to be some work involved in getting rid of me.

Be aware that only Bozza has the admin privileges to do what you indicate.

The message you’re sending him is “Thanks for letting me use your site free of charge for 2 1/2 years. Because you/your moderating team won’t do what I want, I want to cause you as much grief as possible”.

Nice.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I am so peed off about the mods failure to deal with these trolls that I want there to be some work involved in getting rid of me.

I never understand that attitude, it seems childish.

Take a five, have a nice cuppa tea, breath and don't let them spoil your day or life.
Easy said than done sometimes, but take five mate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here