Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ward would be happy to stay

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Summer 2015 his contract expires. I know football is in a bit of a state, but how on earth has a left-back of a now League One club ended up on such a long contract picking up £25k a week? (Assuming that figure in the slightest bit accurate). He signed that new deal in the season Wolves got relegated from the top flight.

He's done well enough for us so far, and I'd be happy to see him sign permanently if we can negotiate a reasonable wage and avoid having to pay a fee (somehow), but god forbid if we start chucking those sorts of contracts at players who are barely Premier League standard, if we do happen to go up. I mean just how and when would Ward have been in a position to be demanding that sort deal? Especially a player who their own fans in the summer labelled nothing more than a "trier".

Probably indicative of the sorts of senseless decisions their board have made in recent years to result in their tumble down to the 3rd tier. Although they look be finally sorting themselves out now with Jackett in charge.
I just can't see The Albion falling into these 'traps'.

Bloom can't have Barber preaching austerity with Burke and Boscar, working in tight budgets, then go batpooh crazy the moment promotion is achieved.

But should Bloom sell up to a foreign owners (as that would seem to be the catalyst to poor finances) then all bets are off.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Are people serious? Comparing Ward, who has been consistently our best performer all season with McNulty - a League 1 player at best? REALLY?

What do people expect? He is an international full back with championship and top flight experience...

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I just can't see The Albion falling into these 'traps'.

Bloom can't have Barber preaching austerity with Burke and Boscar, working in tight budgets, then go batpooh crazy the moment promotion is achieved.

But should Bloom sell up to a foreign owners (as that would seem to be the catalyst to poor finances) then all bets are off.
Indeed, I can't see that Bloom et al would ever use the promotion windfall in such careless fashion - although mistakes would inevitably be made. More just expressing my bafflement at how owners of some clubs (not even foreign owners in the case of Wolves) who've just about survived at that level for a few seasons, end up handing out such ridiculous contracts to players who are very unlikely to provide any real return on investment in the future.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Are people serious? Comparing Ward, who has been consistently our best performer all season with McNulty - a League 1 player at best? REALLY?

What do people expect? He is an international full back with championship and top flight experience...

To be fair, only I did that. And I'm a bit mental. Do you remember the Peterborough and MK Dons games though? I have never liked a left back like that, even Bridge. McNulty was so unfortunate for us, never got to fulfill his potential and his career has been spoilt in general.

Ward is an International because he is Irish. That is the reality. He is an ordinary player and the Wolves fans were right, he is a "trier" but little more. That is how I am too, to be fair, but I'm not getting £25k a week for it.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Worse still, someone is suggesting that Ward is no better than Kerry Mayo was.:lolol: Ward has been a solid 7/10 every game this season, it's only because of the four steps he's following in that he doesn't get the recognition.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Worse still, someone is suggesting that Ward is no better than Kerry Mayo was.:lolol: Ward has been a solid 7/10 every game this season, it's only because of the four steps he's following in that he doesn't get the recognition.

Err it was the same poster who made both claims.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here