Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] War on Plastics

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Wow

What an absolutely shocking attitude to have.

Am I to assume you don’t believe in all this “global warming malarkey” as well.

seems like a legitmate view. highlights why we have alot of food packaging, convenience and longer shelf life. less good reasons on non-perishables, product packaging, but most would send back a product scratched in transport.

im wondering if the focus is wrong, how we deal with plastics, use types better for recycling, reuse or dare i say incineration, rather than default to removing something of great utility.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I must admit I take very little if any notice of it I am happy in my life as it is. if I want 2 slices of ham I buy it what it is wrapped in does not concern me.

With just a tiny bit of thought you can still lead your life the way you want to regarding eating and vastly cut down on your plastic.
You can buy separately and cheaply and that is not wrapped then put it into separate containers that you use time and time again and keep it in the fridge/freezer it's really very easy.
I am far from a friend of the earth but this plastic problem is huge, the sea is full of it and I am right behind it.
With respect, your view is lazy and very silly when it is so easy to do the same but with far less plastic.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
seems like a legitmate view. highlights why we have alot of food packaging, convenience and longer shelf life. less good reasons on non-perishables, product packaging, but most would send back a product scratched in transport.

im wondering if the focus is wrong, how we deal with plastics, use types better for recycling, reuse or dare i say incineration, rather than default to removing something of great utility.

However, supermarkets are quite happy to sell fruit and veg loose alongside packaging. I'm glad one was called out tonight for charging more for the loose. Did everyone spot the terrified look towards the off screen "communications director" :)

There are hundreds of things that do not warrant plastic packaging at all. It doesn't protect them or extend their shelf life. For "convenience" they may as well be in a paper bag.

Peppers, potatoes, courgettes, bananas ? All sold loose alongside the packed ones.

There are also other vegetable that are more perishable (like aubergines) that you rarely see packed.

Don't underestimate how much packaging is simply marketing.

This is where the Government needs to step in. If you are already selling it loose, you have to sell it loose.

One supermarket needs to go first and all the others will follow.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
agree there's unnecessary packaging especially in the fruit and veg aisle. i thinking more the meat aisle, cold meats, refridgerated and freezer goods. there entire groups of product that only really exist because of plastic or plastic lined card for packaging. tin and glass is more practical for some, and better recycling, not used for some reasons, and not without environment cost. is a passata sauce in carton better or worse than in a jar? or microwave meal in glassware? elsewhere cant simply replace with paper, though maybe different types of plastic can be used.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Again, only draconian legislation can bring about both the desired impact and urgency now required. We’ve pissed away four decades arguing about climate change and proven nothing other than we’re quite happy to evade responsibilities, defer tough decisions and continue destroyimg what’s left of our natural planet. Radical change is needed and the longer we leave it, the bloodier it will be. Get ready for war and the breakdown of civilisations circa 2050 if we don’t reboot our societies very soon. You can make a big difference now by switching to a plant based diet, not flying, not having more or any children and cutting your home energy use by making efficiency improvements. What are you waiting for? The end of the world as we know it? Because that my friends, is already here...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Read it and weep.

9780241400517.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
agree there's unnecessary packaging especially in the fruit and veg aisle. i thinking more the meat aisle, cold meats, refridgerated and freezer goods. there entire groups of product that only really exist because of plastic or plastic lined card for packaging. tin and glass is more practical for some, and better recycling, not used for some reasons, and not without environment cost. is a passata sauce in carton better or worse than in a jar? or microwave meal in glassware? elsewhere cant simply replace with paper, though maybe different types of plastic can be used.

Focus on the "difficult" later, but there are tons of really ridiculous ones.

Lemons and limes in a plastic bag AND tray. The worst offenders are Marks and Spencers.

A lemon will be FINE in a shopping basket ON ITS OWN. As will an onion, or garlic, or a pepper.

A cucumber will NOT LAST longer, shrink wrapped.

Do you really need a NEW PLASTIC PEPPER GRINDER every time you buy it ?

Salt in a plastic bottle - why ?

Salad bags are probably the worst offender. I've stopped buying them - it's a con. They pack loads into a bag with gas, but it deteriorates very quickly when open. Double whammy - plastic plus food waste, plus look what that industry is doing to Spain with soil impregnated with discarded poly tunnels.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Again, only draconian legislation can bring about both the desired impact and urgency now required. We’ve pissed away four decades arguing about climate change and proven nothing other than we’re quite happy to evade responsibilities, defer tough decisions and continue destroyimg what’s left of our natural planet. Radical change is needed and the longer we leave it, the bloodier it will be. Get ready for war and the breakdown of civilisations circa 2050 if we don’t reboot our societies very soon. You can make a big difference now by switching to a plant based diet, not flying, not having more or any children and cutting your home energy use by making efficiency improvements. What are you waiting for? The end of the world as we know it? Because that my friends, is already here...

I totally agree, legislation is the answer but people will adapt very quickly. Governments simply need to stand up to the supermarkets (first) in the same way they stood up to the tobacco companies.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Focus on the "difficult" later, but there are tons of really ridiculous ones.

Lemons and limes in a plastic bag AND tray. The worst offenders are Marks and Spencers.

A lemon will be FINE in a shopping basket ON ITS OWN. As will an onion, or garlic, or a pepper.

A cucumber will NOT LAST longer, shrink wrapped.

Do you really need a NEW PLASTIC PEPPER GRINDER every time you buy it ?

Salt in a plastic bottle - why ?

Salad bags are probably the worst offender. I've stopped buying them - it's a con. They pack loads into a bag with gas, but it deteriorates very quickly when open. Double whammy - plastic plus food waste, plus look what that industry is doing to Spain with soil impregnated with discarded poly tunnels.

Precisely. Our consumption of plastic because of convenience has reached idiotic levels. And here’s a truth: it’s ****ing “inconvenient” breathing in toxic fumes, enduring famine, forest fires and flooding whilst witnessing mass extinction of millions of planet and animal species. And still people moan about their right to a free shopping bag because they’re too stupid to reuse the dozens already in their kitchen drawer...People need saving from themselves and therefore we must regulate on a scale never before witnessed. Business will adapt and we’ll all cope. Just as we did in the old days when sweets and even crisps came in paper bags whilst bottles were made of glass etc. Not that we need bottled water in this country or any other really, but that’s another matter...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Precisely. Our consumption of plastic because of convenience has reached idiotic levels. And here’s a truth: it’s ****ing “inconvenient” breathing in toxic fumes, enduring famine, forest fires and flooding whilst witnessing mass extinction of millions of planet and animal species. And still people moan about their right to a free shopping bag because they’re too stupid to reuse the dozens already in their kitchen drawer...People need saving from themselves and therefore we must regulate on a scale never before witnessed. Business will adapt and we’ll all cope. Just as we did in the old days when sweets and even crisps came in paper bags whilst bottles were made of glass etc. Not that we need bottled water in this country or any other really, but that’s another matter...

I'm as guilty as anyone, but require the choice to be taken away.

Rather than Boris offering tax cuts to the rich, invest that money into biodegradable wrapping research. If this country become the world leader, we'd "clean up" in more ways than one.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm as guilty as anyone, but require the choice to be taken away.

Rather than Boris offering tax cuts to the rich, invest that money into biodegradable wrapping research. If this country become the world leader, we'd "clean up" in more ways than one.

You’re most certainly not, because you’re aware and care. But I get your point and it’s mine too - we cannot alone be trusted to do the right thing. Choice must be removed by regulation because we’re a selfish bunch of eco destroyers otherwise! :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So two easy laws:

1) Large supermarkets cannot charge more per weight for lose fruit and veg. No need for consultation, just do it.

2) Ban plastic bags (still available) for loose items.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
This show is a must watch, we ship thousands of tonnes of our plastic around the world, mostly to Malaysia where there are mountains of it, disgusting.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We bought Easter eggs for the grandkids from Sainsbury's (although the packaging wasn’t unique to them). Out of the five different eggs, only one didn’t have any plastic around it; the other four had absolutely loads of stiff clear plastic that couldn’t be compressed, broken or bent. Brighton and Hove council only recycle plastic bottles, so the packaging had to go in the normal refuse.
I don’t normally get to contacting companies about such issues but decided to email Sainsbury’s because they sell hundreds of thousands of these eggs and could therefore insist their suppliers only wrap their produce in cardboard. They responded with the usual - I’ll pass your comments on to their purchasing dept etc. Fingers crossed they do something about it but I’m not holding my breath.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Went to the South of England Show last Thursday and I attended the Bee tent (not beer tent ) and the practical lecture on bees was very good but worrying we need to help our little friends as they are under many threats and are very important to our biodiversity.
Went out bought some lavender for my garden.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
However, supermarkets are quite happy to sell fruit and veg loose alongside packaging. I'm glad one was called out tonight for charging more for the loose. Did everyone spot the terrified look towards the off screen "communications director" :)

There are hundreds of things that do not warrant plastic packaging at all. It doesn't protect them or extend their shelf life. For "convenience" they may as well be in a paper bag.

Peppers, potatoes, courgettes, bananas ? All sold loose alongside the packed ones.

There are also other vegetable that are more perishable (like aubergines) that you rarely see packed.

Don't underestimate how much packaging is simply marketing.

This is where the Government needs to step in. If you are already selling it loose, you have to sell it loose.

One supermarket needs to go first and all the others will follow.

Morrison's has loose fruit & veg with paper bags.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here