Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walton

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thing that worries me about Walton is that he'll only have to make a few mistakes and people will turn on him and at that age it may well affect him badly whereas Stockdale, in a similar situation, has stood up for himself.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Thing that worries me about Walton is that he'll only have to make a few mistakes and people will turn on him and at that age it may well affect him badly whereas Stockdale, in a similar situation, has stood up for himself.
This. He was good last night considering the stage and the pressure that brings - but he was helped by a good performance in front of him by his centre halves who were both excellent. What he had to do was largely routine - which is not to take away from the fact he did it all well. The one flap when he came to punch the corner and missed it, if that had been nodded in, he (and Hyypia for putting him in) would've got a rocket from the permanently critical vocal few who love nothing more than giving stick to their own players. I think he is a great prospect and I was delighted he played well, but at 18 he WILL make mistakes - as Edna says, look at Wright or Smithies for proof. Hopefully he's given time and we don't hype him into being the next big thing too soon - that could be as destructive as anything if he then makes errors costing goals.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Ive said all along why did we spent £1 to £2 million on a goalkeeper when we have Walton who was England under 19 internaitional on the bench and was wanted by Arsenal and Man city, couldnt this money have been spent in other places ? as its obvious the way we put money into club this year that promotion wasnt the intention so why not be honest with us fans and say its changing the squad, giving new players a chance etc, but why replace Ince who was young player of year with Holla ? yes holla is okay but no better than Ince.
Why sign Stockdale instead of trusting Walton.
Why sign Bennett when got Chicksen ?
Why Hughes when we had Dunk ?
Why Holla instead of Ince ?
Just money spent very badly, i think us fans would have appreciated us trying to bring some young players in and say having a year of change and properly be midtable.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Ive said all along why did we spent £1 to £2 million on a goalkeeper when we have Walton who was England under 19 internaitional on the bench and was wanted by Arsenal and Man city, couldnt this money have been spent in other places ? as its obvious the way we put money into club this year that promotion wasnt the intention so why not be honest with us fans and say its changing the squad, giving new players a chance etc, but why replace Ince who was young player of year with Holla ? yes holla is okay but no better than Ince.
Why sign Stockdale instead of trusting Walton.
Why sign Bennett when got Chicksen ?
Why Hughes when we had Dunk ?
Why Holla instead of Ince ?
Just money spent very badly, i think us fans would have appreciated us trying to bring some young players in and say having a year of change and properly be midtable.

Because

Stockdale is far better than Walton
Bennett is far better than Chicksen
Holla is far better than Ince
And Hughes is a very solid signing to cover the loss of Upson

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I am quite happy with Sami but he took one half of a chance putting in the youngster against Spurs which could well have been deverstating in view of our recent form and the very difficult match with Bournemouth,lets hope the experience will add to his standard of play.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He played really well, and at no point did he fill me with the same old worried dread that others have.

I felt, though, that it was a shocking managerial decision to give him his debut in a game where we could, conceivably, have conceded shed loads, not through any particular failing on his part. His confidence could have been shot to pieces.

I know what you mean but I think you have to trust Sami's judgement on this one. We could have conceded shed loads but he showed faith in Walton. To me that is great management. I think Walton's confidence is in his own head and Sami knows that better that anyone. He recognised he was up for it. I actually had a great chat with a spurs fan I work with today who said how refreshing it was that he picked Walton. His exact words were "Interesting you boys came to defend and you picked a rookie keeper. He was good." I'm not a big fan of Hyppia so far but I think he definitely called it right picking Walton in this game.

garethjamesuk

Jan 6, 2004
Eastbourne
Because

Where do you get all this from ? Stockdale who has had one good game and has made numerous of mistakes in other games and his kicking is dreadful vs a england under 19 keeper who is very highly rated by man city and Arsenal and had a terrific game vs tottenham, so why not have spent that 2 million spent on stockdale for a top forward as would have had the o grady and baldock money as well so could have spent say 4 million and bigger wages.
Holla isnt better than Ince no way, sorry but this is rubbish, Holla is a better passer yes but not a overall better player.
Bennett ive not really seen what he is about, his crossing is poor, he doesnt tackle, he is very average as Chicksen isnt a bad player why not save money on wages bennett getting and spent elsewhere again.
Hughes i can understand as not that much money and experienced.
But i wouldnt have signed Bennett, stockdale, holla, baldock, O grady, colonga none of them good enough for this league and the league position proves this as we near bottom so they arent that good are they.

Because

No real signs so far that Holla is far better than Ince, neither have claimed the shirt as their own so far - agree with the rest of course.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Where do you get all this from ? Stockdale who has had one good game and has made numerous of mistakes in other games and his kicking is dreadful vs a england under 19 keeper who is very highly rated by man city and Arsenal and had a terrific game vs tottenham, so why not have spent that 2 million spent on stockdale for a top forward as would have had the o grady and baldock money as well so could have spent say 4 million and bigger wages.
Holla isnt better than Ince no way, sorry but this is rubbish, Holla is a better passer yes but not a overall better player.
Bennett ive not really seen what he is about, his crossing is poor, he doesnt tackle, he is very average as Chicksen isnt a bad player why not save money on wages bennett getting and spent elsewhere again.
Hughes i can understand as not that much money and experienced.
But i wouldnt have signed Bennett, stockdale, holla, baldock, O grady, colonga none of them good enough for this league and the league position proves this as we near bottom so they arent that good are they.

Where to start? Stockdale has made two mistakes in 18 games, so he's had more than one good game. He cost £1 million not £2 million. His distribution is very good, in fact a lot better than Kuszczak.

I can't be bothered with the rest of the post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here