Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walking to work

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
always used to walk to work Fishersgate to Brighton town centre and back
really do not know how far that is, but fast in the winter and a dawdle in the summer

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I walk to work in Brighton from Fiveways and make sure I do it in every cycle lane I possibly can. I figure pedestrians are just as 'green' as cyclists and besides, they're always on the pavement...

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
I generally walk although usual office is across the landing from my bedroom. Otherwise it's Zurich and that's just too far even for an athlete like myself.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
I always make my first choice to walk. Have found the Amex just over the hour from Saltdean Lido, Red Lion,Patcham via Stanmer Park and Palace Pier. As a young boy I was paid half a crown to take a dog for a walk on a Sunday and often went along Ditchling road over the golf course then west to Poinings and Fulking before returning via the Devils Dyke.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
The seafront is my walking track, love doing Palace Pier to Worthing Pier of a weekend, or vice-versa. If its morning I'll do Worthing to Brighton, if its afternoon I'll do Brighton to Worthing, cos I like the SUN on my face. Headphones in, podcasts on, and I'm zoned out.

Usually finish up with couple of pints somewhere and a read of the paper. Luverly.

Sounds like a good run!

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I'd love to be able to walk to work.

I used to be able to when I worked in Crawley. Took me about an 50 minutes. I also had the option of getting a bus too.

I think you notice so much more of the world when you are walking.

Work has moved now, so I now have a 90 mile round trip, which means driving in reality

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I really wish I could walk to work, but its 19 miles.

I walk pretty much every evening about 2.5 miles though, and if its dry I usually walk to the Amex for home games which is about 8.5 miles door to door. The seafront is my walking track, love doing Palace Pier to Worthing Pier of a weekend, or vice-versa. If its morning I'll do Worthing to Brighton, if its afternoon I'll do Brighton to Worthing, cos I like the SUN on my face. Headphones in, podcasts on, and I'm zoned out.

Usually finish up with couple of pints somewhere and a read of the paper. Luverly.

It's a nightmare walking on the front now with all the cyclists whizzing past you.
When I cycle though the bloody walkers get in the way.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Many moons ago I lived in Bayswater and worked in the West End. In the summer I used to cross Bayswater Road into Kensington Gardens from whence I would walk through Hyde Park, Green Park and into St. James Park and up the Duke of York Steps to the office.

It was like a country walk through the centre of London and took about the same time as the bus did.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Retired, so don't go to work.
Would love to be able to go for a decent walk but have moderately severe spinal stenosis and walking is literally a pain.

Foul Play Rocks

Feb 23, 2013
I love a nice walk regardless of the weather. Enjoy exploring the countryside with the dog. I always feel better for getting out and about on foot.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's a nightmare walking on the front now with all the cyclists whizzing past you.
When I cycle though the bloody walkers get in the way.

Well, the promenade in Hove from the Lagoon into town is relatively cycle-free as the cycle lane is up by the road, apart from the odd lycra-GOON who ignores the 'no cycling' signs. Can get a bit dicey on the upper prom by the pier though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
always used to walk to work Fishersgate to Brighton town centre and back
really do not know how far that is, but fast in the winter and a dawdle in the summer

Its about 4 miles from Fishersgate to the Palace Pier, maybe slightly over.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well, the promenade in Hove from the Lagoon into town is relatively cycle-free as the cycle lane is up by the road, apart from the odd lycra-GOON who ignores the 'no cycling' signs. Can get a bit dicey on the upper prom by the pier though.

Ah that's the Brighton bit. From Worthing to Shorehan we have a 2 metre strip divided between bikers, strollers, dog walkers, people buying fresh fish and elderly men exposing themselves.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Its about 4 miles from Fishersgate to the Palace Pier, maybe slightly over.

really, and I done that for years and some evenings went for a jog or football training and played sometimes Saturday and Sunday .........no wonder my legs feel like jelly now :lolol:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I walk to work every day (only 15-20 mins each way) but do walk quite a lot apart from that - I can't drive and neither could my parents so I'm used to it :)

Stumpy Tim

I love walking, and rarely use the tube when I'm in London. I've discovered parts of London I didn't know existed by doing that - you really appreciate London when you spend a lot time looking around. I did the 50km Thames Path last year too, which I really enjoyed.

As much as I hate dogs, you don't see many fat dog owners. There's a reason for that

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Bit far for me now I live in Newhaven (circa 10 miles), but I walked from Lewes to the Amex the other week, which was lovely and when i warms up a bit will try it from Newhaven.

Which route will you take from Newhaven to the AMEX?
I have thought about this before, not really planning to do it though as my 11 year old son would disown me if I said we were walking:smile:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Which route will you take from Newhaven to the AMEX?
I have thought about this before, not really planning to do it though as my 11 year old son would disown me if I said we were walking:smile:

You can either go up the river to Southease then follow the south downs way most of the way, or out through the back of peacehaven and past the back of woodingdean. Think it's 12 miles via the first route and ten via the second. You can plot routes on http://maps.the-hug.net/ and itll give you a distance and profile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here