Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Walking from Brighton to Falmer

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Never heard of! Interesting and fascinating.

Isn't that where Paul Barber lives :facepalm:

That would be insanely freaky and uncomfortable so I really dont hope so.

can't even give this a "Meh"

the lunatics have taken over the swansman

Can’t be arsed to read any post above 5-10 lines
The ramblings of a mad man

Why dont ya'll head over back to Aaron Connollys Instagram and tell him how shit he is, or back to the Caroline Flack thread and tell everyone how good you are compared to the idiots out there. Or you know, just shut up.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
It’s such a shame the walk in marred by the whole Lewes Road & London Road area which is so grim ending up in mousecoombe which is even worse !

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION], when did you visit?

Maybe should have been more clear about that but this is a visit made in Street View. Never done that before but its pretty nice tbh, obviously not close to the real thing do.

I really like what I've seen though and look forward to exploring every corner of the city once I actually visit in person.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I walked from Churchill Square to the Amex via the seafront once, it took a long old time but I'd set off well in advance. The sun was shining and it was gloriously shirt and shorts weather. I had supplies to keep myself fed and watered and enjoyed a lovely long stroll along the undercliff, stopping regularly just to look at the sea lapping at the shore. At Rottingdean I helped myself to a wonderful ice cream which went down a treat before setting off at the foot of Falmer Road on the odyssey up towards Woodingdean. Being the adventurous scamp that I am, I decided to scout out future running routes and headed through Woodingdean following the number 2 bus route to the shops at the foot of Shipley Road and then onwards to an unpleasant hill on the number 22 bus route. Eventually, that led to Falmer Road and a straight stroll down the hill towards the greatest light polluter in the South East. I was still a little bit early so I popped around to the right and sat by the pond for 20 minutes or so. A lovely rest and an opportunity to say howdy to some curious swans. I'd eaten my food, so they were disappointed. Other than that - a most wonderful walk and one I would highly recommend rather than the hustle and bustle of getting public transport to the game, unless you're good and early and aren't being suffocated by the masses cramming on the buses!

[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Try this route instead, might take a little longer but well worth it I'd say.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s such a shame the walk in marred by the whole Lewes Road & London Road area which is so grim ending up in mousecoombe which is even worse !

When was the last time you visited Moulsecoomb? It would help if you could spell it correctly.
Many of the houses are privately owned, and well kept. I know several families who live there.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION]

Try this route instead, might take a little longer but well worth it I'd say.

I'd be inclined to walk (or take the bus from the town centre) to the top of Devil's Dyke and follow the South Downs way from there, down, up, and half way along, Ditchling Beacon, and then drop down to the Amex, enjoying the (best available) views of the ground as you approach. On the right day (any day it isn't raining really) and with the right footwear, that would be a genuinely stunning walk.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve jogged from Burgess Hill to the Amex. It was alright. [emoji849]

Edit......following part of what [MENTION=33872]highflyer[/MENTION] suggests. The bit from Clayton, up past the Windmills, along the SDW to just past Ditchling Beacon and then down to Falmer (past the Swan if you’re in need of refreshment at that point) is beautiful. Well-defined paths or road all the way.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've walked from Portslade to the Amex quite a few times. Straight along the seafront, then turn up at the Steine and carry on up Lewes Road. 8 miles, no hills, takes about 2 hours, gives me a chance to catch up on some podcasts. I'll be doing it again soon, once the weather perks up.

(NOT in jogging bottoms though, I hasten to add).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don’t get all the negativity, It amused me. (Although I am easily pleased according to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION])

Ramblings of a mad man? Maybe, but we embrace all sorts on here :smile:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"Hearing about the two pubs on the road..."

There are three: Franklin, Gladstone and Bear

Playmaker

Mar 29, 2016
Mid Sussex
Oh well. It’s the reason a lot of windows are bricked up older properties if not these ones!

It's certainly the reason the windows at the time were bricked up, however this particular stretch of Lewes Road houses would have been built in the 1890's at least four decades after the window tax had been abolished in the early 1850's. The architects of the mid to late Victorian and Edwardian era then decided to make the 'bricked up window' a period feature in modern day property design.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's certainly the reason the windows at the time were bricked up, however this particular stretch of Lewes Road houses would have been built in the 1890's at least four decades after the window tax had been abolished in the early 1850's. The architects of the mid to late Victorian and Edwardian era then decided to make the 'bricked up window' a period feature in modern day property design.

That's true, it became an architectural feature as it was felt to be more visually appealing than just a plain blank wall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here