Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WALES LEADS THE WAY

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seriously ? :shrug:
Yes, seriously. What has a game between males and females got to do with how successful the US women's team have been over the years?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Generally, players don't make a living playing international football. That is derived from club football, and so the international fee is more of a symbolic gesture than commercial. On that level it makes sense.

However, you can't help feeling this moral stance at international level does not sit easy with the wage disparity between men and women at club level. You wonder how much SPOTY Beth Mead earns compared to other male professional footballers.
how much for a season ticket to see the womens game? no point talking morality until there is at least something near parity on what fans pay.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Absolutely if you are representing your country then whether male or female the reward should be the same regardless of ticket costs, size of crowds etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Generally, players don't make a living playing international football. That is derived from club football, and so the international fee is more of a symbolic gesture than commercial. On that level it makes sense.

However, you can't help feeling this moral stance at international level does not sit easy with the wage disparity between men and women at club level. You wonder how much SPOTY Beth Mead earns compared to other male professional footballers.
Yep - several women playing at Championship level that are full/regular internationals that could earn a similar wage at your local supermarket to what they earn as pro footballers.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
how much for a season ticket to see the womens game? no point talking morality until there is at least something near parity on what fans pay.
2022-23 Season tickets for 11 home matches - £49 Adults, £19 U18/65+

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Would anyone like to see this principle extended to all occupations? In other words, in all circumstances men and women get the same pay if in the same occupation.
No, would never work. There isn't even equal pay in the men's game or even within a single club.

I do agree with equal pay at representative level (England's men's team don't take their fees anyway as it goes into a charity pot). The women's game in this country is still in the early stages of development and is heavily subsidised by the men's game. I know the men's game isn't quite self sustaining, ie you need some benefactors such as Mr Bloom, but the women's game is a long way off that.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
If I understand it correctly, you believe that women should be financially punished because 200 000 years of evolution made women physically weaker than men?
I don`t think women should be punished financially or any other way for anything , and i don`t think they should be held back pushed aside or ignored . But like i wouldn`t reward Kemy Agustien with a 5 year contract at £200,000 pw , i don`t see why they should be rewarded with equal pay to the men when the goods produced are not of equal value .

I know one or two on here think i dislike women`s football , not true , but i am worried that equality will see us as a self sustaining club taking money from the 1st team to subsidise the women`s team . This imo is what is happening on Sky tv at the moment , instead of making a channel purely for women`s football they have integrated it into the men`s , so that means some of the time that would have been used talking about teams further down the pyramid those teams will lose out .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don`t think women should be punished financially or any other way for anything , and i don`t think they should be held back pushed aside or ignored . But like i wouldn`t reward Kemy Agustien with a 5 year contract at £200,000 pw , i don`t see why they should be rewarded with equal pay to the men when the goods produced are not of equal value .

I know one or two on here think i dislike women`s football , not true , but i am worried that equality will see us as a self sustaining club taking money from the 1st team to subsidise the women`s team . This imo is what is happening on Sky tv at the moment , instead of making a channel purely for women`s football they have integrated it into the men`s , so that means some of the time that would have been used talking about teams further down the pyramid those teams will lose out .
Why do you care if it’s not your money or doesn’t affect you in any way?

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Yes, seriously. What has a game between males and females got to do with how successful the US women's team have been over the years?
Simple , the respective competition is far lower , so generates less interest and income . If you own a business and Bill sells 10 units a day are you going to pay him the same as Bob who sells 100 units a day ? .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Simple , the respective competition is far lower , so generates less interest and income . If you own a business and Bill sells 10 units a day are you going to pay him the same as Bob who sells 100 units a day ? .
The base pay is probably the same, the commission / bonus will be different. So you agree for equal pay, but not equal bonuses which makes more sense

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Why do you care if it’s not your money or doesn’t affect you in any way?
I think with me it is like the Ashe`s , that is a very specific sporting event with incredible history , now played by women calling it the Ashe`s ? . The "Ashe`s" title that is specific to a point in history has been taken by the women`s team who have no connection to it . The women`s WC is the women`s WC it has no effect on the men`s WC , but "The Ashe`s" is singularly men`s , and shouldn`t be used by anyone else . I do worry this will eventually have an effect on men`s football as well .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No, would never work. There isn't even equal pay in the men's game or even within a single club.

I do agree with equal pay at representative level (England's men's team don't take their fees anyway as it goes into a charity pot). The women's game in this country is still in the early stages of development and is heavily subsidised by the men's game. I know the men's game isn't quite self sustaining, ie you need some benefactors such as Mr Bloom, but the women's game is a long way off that.
Lewes pay equally :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... This imo is what is happening on Sky tv at the moment , instead of making a channel purely for women`s football they have integrated it into the men`s , so that means some of the time that would have been used talking about teams further down the pyramid those teams will lose out .
i'm not fussed about women's football, though noticing the addition of coverage is at cost of lower league.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Reduce the pay at the top of the mens game to 10% of what it is now - They'd still be on very big money - Use the money to bring up the women's pay. Makes football more egalitarian on many levels.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

The problem is then that women would be paid less in a lot of professions. A female police can't catch up with a somewhat normally fit man running away. A female medic could have issues moving a fat bloke in a way that perhaps a man would struggle less with. Pretty much anywhere where your body strength is a tool, men will from time to time outperform women. Same in all sports - should Paula Radcliffe not earn any money because she'd struggle against a lot of 15 year old male runners?

If we are going to build a society around the idea that the strongest should earn the most because they can usually outperform the weaker in a lot of areas, we could pretty much kill off most of those who are disabled or pensioners, pay women and fatties/weak people pretty much no money and pour a bunch of money on strong fit men in their peak age. But we (sort of) do not do that, because we (some of us...) are equipped with brains that allows us to accept people for what they are instead of always comparing groups against each other.

As for your concern... sure, it is absolutely possible that some money from the 1st team will be taken to subsidise the womens team/the youth teams/Albion in the Community/producing content to watch and so forth. This might well be the case. But perhaps the first team squad earning only earning £1.10m per year per player rather than £1.15m isn't the end of the world when it benefits hundreds of other individuals.

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
i'm not fussed about women's football, though noticing the addition of coverage is at cost of lower league.
Some of the league strugglers could be helped by the extra tv money , a channel for the women`s game could easily be set-up separately as with the cricket .

TugWilson

Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
The problem is then that women would be paid less in a lot of professions. A female police can't catch up with a somewhat normally fit man running away. A female medic could have issues moving a fat bloke in a way that perhaps a man would struggle less with. Pretty much anywhere where your body strength is a tool, men will from time to time outperform women. Same in all sports - should Paula Radcliffe not earn any money because she'd struggle against a lot of 15 year old male runners?

If we are going to build a society around the idea that the strongest should earn the most because they can usually outperform the weaker in a lot of areas, we could pretty much kill off most of those who are disabled or pensioners, pay women and fatties/weak people pretty much no money and pour a bunch of money on strong fit men in their peak age. But we (sort of) do not do that, because we (some of us...) are equipped with brains that allows us to accept people for what they are instead of always comparing groups against each other.

As for your concern... sure, it is absolutely possible that some money from the 1st team will be taken to subsidise the womens team/the youth teams/Albion in the Community/producing content to watch and so forth. This might well be the case. But perhaps the first team squad earning only earning £1.10m per year per player rather than £1.15m isn't the end of the world when it benefits hundreds of other individuals.
Not once have i mentioned strength , it is nothing to do with strength , i am talking about the economics of it . A giant conglomerate would cut away the parts that are not financially viable , but lets be honest here , equal pay for International teams is just a prelude for what`s to come - equal pay all over football , and that terrifies me and it should you as well .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not once have i mentioned strength , it is nothing to do with strength , i am talking about the economics of it . A giant conglomerate would cut away the parts that are not financially viable , but lets be honest here , equal pay for International teams is just a prelude for what`s to come - equal pay all over football , and that terrifies me and it should you as well .
I have no problem with football functioning less as a giant conglomerate and more as a people's movement.
Equal pay all over football is very far away and if it does happen - it doesn't terrify me one bit because why the f*** would it? I have zero problems with Harry Kane only being able to afford 5 new mansions per year rather than the 10 he could buy now if that change makes someone else (like a woman) able to buy the 5 he can't get hold of. I don't find that terrifying.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here