Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waking up feeling refreshed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting, it's the opposite for me and always has been. Feel rough as hell for the first three hours of the day and usually unable to eat anything... have always been the same. Feel most awake from about 5pm.

Unscientific, but people seem to be born either morning people or night owls.

Morning people wake up cheery, but run out of gas mid evening.

I must have been a night owl, wake up groggy and like a quiet start to the day, but have energy to keep going at the end of the day. Once you have kids, you have to adapt as they wake so early, and try to get to bed earlier yourself to look after them when they wake and be a reasonably cheery parent!

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Wake up feeling shit and go to bed feeling as awake as ever.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Has anyone used the clock change to their advantage with their young kids? Ie sleep til an he later youngen, you know no difference!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Envy people who can sleep through the night. I'm always up a minimum of twice for a J Carrol, whether I need one or not, sometimes getting up four or five times in the night. Very disrupted sleep.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Since the kids changed school, I have been getting up at 5:15 every weekday morning. Am usually asleep by 10pm (unless the Albion have an evening game) and weekends rarely sleep past 6am now. Have definitely felt much more alert since starting this.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm like this. I still set the alarm as a back up when I need to get up really early but always wake up a 5-10 mins before it goes off - even for stupid get up times like 4 or 5am.

Me too. I set my alarm at (say) 4:30 am for work and regularly wake up a minute or two before it goes off, even if I change the time for a different shift. I'd love to put it to the test & not set the alarm just to see if I could wake myself up without it, but can't risk the strategy failing & turning up 3 hours late for work :)

I work shifts anyway, so regular sleep patterns are a complete mystery to me.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I work shifts anyway, so regular sleep patterns are a complete mystery to me.

do you get better sleeps on particular shifts?
I find that when I'm in nights I go to bed at around 8am, get 6 hours kip and wake you feeling good. A week of earlies has me knackered all week and falling asleep in the evening, despite getting the same amount of time in bed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My father sets his alarm 15 minutes before he wants to get up so he gets an extra 15 minutes in bed.

Dec 29, 2011
I've got one of the Android apps that monitors sleep and has a 30-minute window to try and wake me up during light sleep. I've had mixed results with it, often because I'm in deep sleep during the whole 30-minute period. The graphs it produces are quite interesting, I don't seem to be able to sustain REM sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time.
Read up a little more on sleep patterns, I haven't read in a long time but I seem to remember your sleep cycle lasts 1.5 hours, through which you go light sleep (30 mins), deep sleep (30 mins), REM (30 mins). REM is where you have dreams because your brain makes images out of the rapid eye movement combines with thoughts you've usually had that day. If you wake up after REM or during light sleep you'll usually feel good. This is why if you nap for more than 30 minutes (and slip into deep sleep) your nap will be unsuccessful. Similarly, if you wake up in the morning during deep sleep through an alarm clock, you'll spend most of the day feeling sluggish.

Also if you wake up and think that a dream was very vivid, it's likely you had it in your last REM cycle before you woke up, hence you can remember it. If a dream is very hazy or you don't remember you had it, it's likely it was in your first or second REM cycle and so you forget about it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Read up a little more on sleep patterns, I haven't read in a long time but I seem to remember your sleep cycle lasts 1.5 hours, through which you go light sleep (30 mins), deep sleep (30 mins), REM (30 mins). REM is where you have dreams because your brain makes images out of the rapid eye movement combines with thoughts you've usually had that day. If you wake up after REM or during light sleep you'll usually feel good. This is why if you nap for more than 30 minutes (and slip into deep sleep) your nap will be unsuccessful. Similarly, if you wake up in the morning during deep sleep through an alarm clock, you'll spend most of the day feeling sluggish.

Also if you wake up and think that a dream was very vivid, it's likely you had it in your last REM cycle before you woke up, hence you can remember it. If a dream is very hazy or you don't remember you had it, it's likely it was in your first or second REM cycle and so you forget about it.
I don't dream.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Worst thing ever is when you've had a skinful the day before and you waken up thinking you've got away with it. Then it kicks in about eleven in the morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here