Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Waitrose free coffee scandal

they changed the policy last year. u have to buy something first then they let u have a drink. Policy changed due to abuse - hence the original story has some truth about it. I use the Waitrose in Burgess Hill and at lunchtime often saw the pensioners gathering and filling their reusable mugs and leaving again..Sorry not ageist but it was genuinely always OAPs in groups. Became even funnier when they forced people to buy something first. i was once stuck in the queue behind 5 men in their 70s+. Each one queued up and bought a 15p banana and handed over their loyalty card to collect their free coffee cup...

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
they changed the policy last year. u have to buy something first then they let u have a drink. Policy changed due to abuse - hence the original story has some truth about it. I use the Waitrose in Burgess Hill and at lunchtime often saw the pensioners gathering and filling their reusable mugs and leaving again..Sorry not ageist but it was genuinely always OAPs in groups. Became even funnier when they forced people to buy something first. i was once stuck in the queue behind 5 men in their 70s+. Each one queued up and bought a 15p banana and handed over their loyalty card to collect their free coffee cup...

You now have to spend £10 and bring your own reusable cup. And it’s one drink per day per loyalty card .

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Nope. Very average coffee

What does one expect? It's free.

If you want something fancy go to Costa, or Starbucks, or Caffe Nero or one of the independents in Brighton..… and pay for it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must be living in some kind of parallel universe. Who the F goes out of their way for a free coffee ? Its a couple of quid for christs sake. It makes Waitrose sound like some kind of soup kitchen for the homeless, with endless streams of desperate souls just turning up for a free hot drink and some human contact.

The day I make my way to a supermarket with the primary reason of snaffling a free coffee while I buy some spuds, is the day I give full permission for someone to take me round the back of the store by the dumpsters, pull out a snub-nose Beretta, and quietly shoot me in the face.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I must be living in some kind of parallel universe. Who the F goes out of their way for a free coffee ? Its a couple of quid for christs sake. It makes Waitrose sound like some kind of soup kitchen for the homeless, with endless streams of desperate souls just turning up for a free hot drink and some human contact.

The day I make my way to a supermarket with the primary reason of snaffling a free coffee while I buy some spuds, is the day I give full permission for someone to take me round the back of the store by the dumpsters, pull out a snub-nose Beretta, and quietly shoot me in the face.

This!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Agreed. I find it odd there are long queues for stuff that’s at best what you make at home

I agree. As a fairly regular Waitrose shopper (although less now we have an ALDI locally and I don't get John Lewis partner discount, I have very rarely taken advantage of the free coffee.

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST

Must be a demographic thing. The Hove store is generally filled with Mumsnet people in their running kit. Free coffee is poured and taken to the cafe for a group chat. Other than that plenty of people with two mugs who have to wash them out under the dispenser with the hot water option causing a massive queue. We've given up bothering and go to the cafe and buy their decent coffee (and cake).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here