Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waiting for football league show

binky

Aug 9, 2005
Hove
Just been watching the Barnes incident again in slo mo. Yesterday I was sat right opposite and it looked like Barnes went in with both feet up and deserved the red ... also completely bewildered as to why Burnley fella didn't go too for the throat retaliation. Looking this morning and I've changed my mind ... Barnes went in with one foot up but as the other guy was clearly going to get the ball Barnes pulled out, got his foot down but his momentum kept him going and it was a simple case of just falling over the outstretched villain. Given the ref was about 6 inches away this was a dreadful decision.

I dont think it was a case of Barnes rationally making a decision that the other guy would get the ball. It looked like he saw the incoming studs, and decided discretion was the better part of valour.

Actually, Barnes can consider himself lucky.
With the misapplied red, he misses 3 games. If he had gone into that challenge, he could be missing months with a shattered leg.

Yoda

English & European
Just been watching the Barnes incident again in slo mo. Yesterday I was sat right opposite and it looked like Barnes went in with both feet up and deserved the red ... also completely bewildered as to why Burnley fella didn't go too for the throat retaliation. Looking this morning and I've changed my mind ... Barnes went in with one foot up but as the other guy was clearly going to get the ball Barnes pulled out, got his foot down but his momentum kept him going and it was a simple case of just falling over the outstretched villain. Given the ref was about 6 inches away this was a dreadful decision.

I did the same and was looking at the ref. He's not even really looking at it fully until Barnes is coming down on McCann.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
The barnes red was right in line with us and we were all cheering when we saw the red because we assumed the burnley player had been sent off and having seen the replay I still see it that way.
As for vincelot I'm going with him having said something in which case far enough I guess. I don't believe it can have been a punch because at no point was a burnley player talking to the ref about it; if one had been punched do you not think he would atleast have been telling the ref?

chidgull

Apr 29, 2006
The punch was the cause of the red card, nothing in the laws says the officials have to wait for players to complain...

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just watched it two or three times on the FLS. Have to assume the Vincelot red was deserved in the absence of any other evidence. Like so many others when I saw the Barnes incident live yesterday I thought it was a red for their player - nothing I have seen in the replay suggests I was wrong then. if I could see it from my position in the WSL North end why the hell couldnt the ref or the lino who were much closer. Utterly useless officials. Will the club appeal?

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
The punch was the cause of the red card, nothing in the laws says the officials have to wait for players to complain...

Yet several places have written 'foul and abussive language' apparently. I didn't say they had to complain but that they would be if someone had been punched.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What a joke, doesn't even show a replay of Vincelot and confirms everyone's (who was at the game) first impression of the tackle on Barnes - it was the Burnley player who should have been sent off - two footed and then afters.

Come on give the Ref a chance,i mean he was what 3 yards away so it must have been differcult to see what happened.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here