Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waiting for football league show

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
This is what the Mirror says -

Romain Vincelot appear to punch Marvin Bartley in the stomach on the ground.

? They never went to ground did they?

My brain must've been injured today by that refereeing display. I remember Vincelot tackling someone, then they ran a few yards bumping into each other like players do after a bit of a tussle sometimes, then Vincelot raising a forearm to the Burnley player's back.

I really wish the League show had shown it to straighten this out.

Last edited:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Not to mention the fact the BBC punduts seem to have no comment on the sendings off.

Big Cuddly Pandas.

Yes they did, the commentator said it was surprising that Barnes was the one sent off after the challenge.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
What a joke, doesn't even show a replay of Vincelot

To be fair, hardly any of us saw it, nor did the referee or either of his assistants, so why on earth should you expect a BBC cameraman (who essentially is following the ball) to pick it up? It happened off the ball, several people I know said they saw RV punch the Burnley player in the back following some kind of tussle, in which case the referee has no choice in the matter.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Yes they did, the commentator said it was surprising that Barnes was the one sent off after the challenge.

lol, the commentator did, edna, but the pudits afterwards appeared to make no comment, saying something on the lines of 'bad luck'

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Just been watching the Barnes incident again in slo mo. Yesterday I was sat right opposite and it looked like Barnes went in with both feet up and deserved the red ... also completely bewildered as to why Burnley fella didn't go too for the throat retaliation. Looking this morning and I've changed my mind ... Barnes went in with one foot up but as the other guy was clearly going to get the ball Barnes pulled out, got his foot down but his momentum kept him going and it was a simple case of just falling over the outstretched villain. Given the ref was about 6 inches away this was a dreadful decision.

chidgull

Apr 29, 2006
Vincelot was fouled by a Burnley player and reacted by punching him in the back, the game continued. Wasn't seen by the ref. 4th official went along to linesman who then called the ref over. You know the rest.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I want to know why the Burnley player who tried to punch the ball in the net was not sent off, ridiculous that it's only a red if it goes in

el_ciddy

Aug 26, 2011
Vincelot was fouled by a Burnley player and reacted by punching him in the back, the game continued. Wasn't seen by the ref. 4th official went along to linesman who then called the ref over. You know the rest.

Has this been confirmed any where? - the referee's official reason for showing him the red?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Didn't show :

First sending off incident
Noone's penalty claim
Burnley player's assault on ElAbd
Our disallowed goal

Waste of time highlights really.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I didn`t see the incident clearly yesterday but having watched it now it is quite clearly a poor challenge by the Burnley player. He has left the ground with both feet though it is not with any intention to hurt Barnes. I`m not sure as a stand alone incident what the referee would have given.
Barnes part in the tackle is not clever though is it ? He definitely goes over the top.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yet the Sunday Times reporter at the match says he was sent off for Foul and abusive language

I cannot see that though Oldman because the referee or linesman would have been closer - in earshot - and have dealt with it by themselves. Pretty sure it was for violent conduct but off the ball.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
He did. Enough people in the ground saw it. Sadly the 4th official was one of them.

THAT was a punch? I saw that incident but convinced myself something much worse must have happened for the 4th official to get himself involved.
It looked no worse or harder than if you pat someone on the back as they run past to say 'hard luck'.
Terrible decision.
Barnes' was a nailed on red though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here