Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Wagon Wheels

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I saw some Leeds fans throw a full size Wagon Wheel at a police horse in Hove Park once. Poor thing took three days to die.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
My first memory of the Goldstone was being treated to a wagon wheel and having to walk past a huge pile of stinky grass clippings on our return to the South. It was a win over Palace in the late 70s and I went with my dad and his Palace fan mate. Can't remember the football at all.

Anger

Jul 21, 2017

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I remember getting a Wagon Wheel on the old East Terrace from the guy walking round the pitch with the tray in front of him. He must have been incredibly strong to carry them - it took several just to pass the Wagon Wheel back in the crowd to me, and then it used to last several ‘sittings’ over the course of a game and I couldn’t eat another thing for a long time, days I think, afterwards.
They used to sell them at the wooden hatch at the back of the East Terrace. Basically the only snack they had. So it was a Wagon Wheel and a cup of tea or nothing.

I remember that hut (or maybe an adjacent one) also sold a selection of programmes from other clubs (usually from our away games), that I used to collect.

(I'm in a right old 1970s reverie now.....)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They used to sell them at the wooden hatch at the back of the East Terrace. Basically the only snack they had. So it was a Wagon Wheel and a cup of tea or nothing.

I remember that hut (or maybe an adjacent one) also sold a selection of programmes from other clubs (usually from our away games), that I used to collect.

(I'm in a right old 1970s reverie now.....)
Wagon wheel and Bovril?

Jul 7, 2003

Plus they had jam in them.

You can still buy them with jam in. They did ones with orange jam a couple of years ago which were really good but they seem to have been discontinued.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Those tinned burgers, with onions in a white bap. I liked them on a cold winter day.

Unaware in the 70's of things like nutrition and E-numbers.

"the gents" .... a ground level gully, surrounded by a high brick wall to the Old Shoreham Road :lolol:
That brings back happy memories. When the gully overflowed you would be paddling in the piss whilst queuing for a water burger.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Wagon wheel and Bovril?
Yes - Bovril. I couldn't stand the stuff. Tbh I didnt even like Wagon Wheels. I've a feeling they also sold Mars bars though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here