Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Wagon Wheels

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Correct.

Mind you, the same applies to every single chocolate bar on offer. Never go to a pound shop and buy a pack of four. You'll think you have a bargain until you open the packaging. You haven't.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
I remember getting a Wagon Wheel on the old East Terrace from the guy walking round the pitch with the tray in front of him. He must have been incredibly strong to carry them - it took several just to pass the Wagon Wheel back in the crowd to me, and then it used to last several ‘sittings’ over the course of a game and I couldn’t eat another thing for a long time, days I think, afterwards.

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Of course they will have been available elsewhere - perhaps they still are - but I know I’ve only ever eaten these after purchasing them from the little refreshments stall next to the gents inside the West Stand at the Goldstone. The one where they would keep the burgers in warm water. Yes, warm water. Fine for hot dogs. Not for burgers.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When Wagon Wheels first came out they were the size of actual wagon wheels (hence their name). We used to push them home from the sweetshop, or race them down the chalk pit.

I'm pretty sure that was the case, although I may be confusing them with something else.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course they will have been available elsewhere - perhaps they still are - but I know I’ve only ever eaten these after purchasing them from the little refreshments stall next to the gents inside the West Stand at the Goldstone. The one where they would keep the burgers in warm water. Yes, warm water. Fine for hot dogs. Not for burgers.

Those tinned burgers, with onions in a white bap. I liked them on a cold winter day.

Unaware in the 70's of things like nutrition and E-numbers.

"the gents" .... a ground level gully, surrounded by a high brick wall to the Old Shoreham Road :lolol:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
When Wagon Wheels first came out they were the size of actual wagon wheels (hence their name). We used to push them home from the sweetshop, or race them down the chalk pit.

I'm pretty sure that was the case, although I may be confusing them with something else.
Sweetshop? Luxury! In my day there were called Wagon Wheels because they were wagon wheels. Riiiight chewy they were.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Takes me back to the first time my Dad took me to the Goldstone Ground ( 1969 Walsall FA cup ) and bought me a Wagon Wheel from the East Stand tea hut .
Was horribly sick and avoided football stadium food until a couple of seasons in at the Amex before I took a chance with a pie .🤮

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Takes me back to the first time my Dad took me to the Goldstone Ground ( 1969 Walsall FA cup ) and bought me a Wagon Wheel from the East Stand tea hut .
Was horribly sick and avoided football stadium food until a couple of seasons in at the Amex before I took a chance with a pie .🤮
That’s a 45 year boycott, I think you can say you made your point!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Ahhh, racing down chalk pits.

I must've worn so many pairs of trousers out sliding down the Chalk pits on Highdown Hill !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It's all about perspective

BzZw2DhoJs0w.gif

They weren't big, you were little :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here