Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wagner vs Monk

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I'm a fan of Wagner. He's done a fantastic job with little money to spend. This was a feisty Yorkshire Derby with his team scoring a last minute winner against local and much bigger rivals. This is what football should be about, a highly charged emotional reaction, celebrating with his team, his team's fans, in their own stadium. Fair play to him. Instead of rooting out corruption, or dare we say it, helping the grass roots game, the football authorities will probably cave into the over reactions of today and fine him. It's the same old tired nonsense from the Blazzerati which thinks it's a good idea to fine players for celebrating scoring goals with their fans or taking their shirts off. It's passion and the game need more of it, not to punish those who show it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I have to say there should be some kind of decorum from a manager, none of which was displayed by Wagner. I know in the heat of the game you can get carried away, but that was just pure madness.

Yep and he's done that before when they got a late winner I remember distinctly.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
As Klopp's best man it's easy to see where wagner got his celebrations from and he's lucky he didn't break his glasses. Hopefully they'll drop away like Liverpool once they've beaten Reading and Newcastle. Good manager though

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I thought Wagner acted like a complete CJTC. Not surprised though, he was over the top against us also. Shame as his side are very admirable and I would usually celebrate any last minute winner against Dirty Leeds but I had a lot of sympathy for Monk and completely agree with his comments.

Hughton could teach most of these managers a lesson in carrying themselves.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I thought Wagner acted like a complete CJTC. Not surprised though, he was over the top against us also. Shame as his side are very admirable and I would usually celebrate any last minute winner against Dirty Leeds but I had a lot of sympathy for Monk and completely agree with his comments.

Hughton could teach most of these managers a lesson in carrying themselves.

Wagner running the length of the pitch (ON the pitch) to join the bundles deserves a ban in itself. Added to that is the scuffle with Monk, and then he was on the pitch celebrating after the game, which he's almost certainly not allowed to be having been sent off.

Ban due.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Depends what the referee puts in his report. Could have easily been a couple sent off as well

Considering who the referee was I suspect his report will say:

"Both manager were sent to the stand for acting like nasty brutes who couldn't hold a candle to the likes of Eddie Howe. Oh Eddie, with his charming smile and his twinkling eyes. How I miss him. Monk's got blond hair, but its not the colour of golden corn on a summer's day. Why don't you write Eddie? Don't you remember how much your old pal Hoops did for you?

I was also required to book three players in the aftermath for breaking article 16.4:- not coming from Dorset and wearing lovely black and red stripes."

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I'd have done what Monk done every time. No respect any more, that German has none for anyone but himself.

To be fair David Wagner showed a lot of courtesy after losing to us at the Amex earlier in the season. Described us as the best team in the division.

Whilst in no way condoning or agreeing with it, I think he let the occasion get the occasion get the better of him today. Football is, after all, an emotional game.

el punal

Huddersfield scored what looked like a controversial winner (initially looked offside, it wasn't and the last touch came from a Leeds player). Wagner runs across the field celebrating and joins the jubilant players, kind of thing you'd love if it was your manager but truly detest if it was against you. Walking back to the sideline, Monk steps forward into Wagner's path in a sulk and looks like he's about to say something about his celebration when Wagner starts pushing and shoving Monk. Then everyone from the benches are involved.

No action will be taken whatsoever, I'd love it if Hughton did that in the 90th minute to get a winner in a tight game.

We don't do 90th minute. We do 94th or 97th minute. We do drama. We do fat lady singing. Then we all shit ourselves in all the euphoria. :rock:

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Well having considered all the facts and having seen it for myself I can only think that both clubs should be deducted 3 points. We cannot condone behaviour like this from managers and players.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hopefully they both get lengthy touchline bans, doubt it though

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
Well having considered all the facts and having seen it for myself I can only think that both clubs should be deducted 3 points. We cannot condone behaviour like this from managers and players.

Good thinking - would prefer 6 deducted though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Monk has emerged as a rather unpleasant manager of a rather unpleasant team representing a rather unpleasant club with a rather unpleasant chairman and extraordinarily unpleasant fans. Wagner has emerged as......well.......German.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I will be surprised if Wagner doesn't get a touch line ban. Not so sure about Monk. Both teams should get sanctioned over behaviour of their staff...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No action will be taken whatsoever, I'd love it if Hughton did that in the 90th minute to get a winner in a tight game.
I don't think managers should be running on the pitch. If they're going to do it, the rest of their staff may as well join in, and so should the subs and the rest of the squad while we're at it, so you've got a mini pitch invasion for each important goal, while the opposing team are rushing to get the ball back to the centre circle for a chance of an equaliser.

There should be a touchline ban for running across the pitch.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'm kinda with the german fella on this , seen quite a few german games and the managers just consider it a part of the game to go batshit mental like our Chris if they score , jurgen on the other hand was less than impressed .

636078613306900949-1899347723_giphy-5.gif

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here