Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wage Capping

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I fear that any attempt to help clubs in trouble will further incentivise unscrupulous owners to abuse the system. The starting point is finding a governing body which more actively seeks to prevent unscrupulous owners and prevents owners leveraging clubs. If we van trust the owners we can trust emergency funds will be exactly that. The EFL and FA should be ashamed and maybe should be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quite, let’s say Man United stepped in and saved Bury.

Where is the incentive to play fair?

They cheated in getting promoted and wouldn’t be punished.

Whilst no one wants a club to go bust, having PL clubs bail them out makes it worse.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It’s not much of a difference to bring it on players.

No one is stopping them from working - rises can be done with inflation.
It does actually make quite a lot of difference - if the clubs are acting collectively rules about cartels and stuff can come into play.

At the end of the day, itis just different!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The majority of Bury fans and other callers on BBC 5 Live last night and this morning were calling for wage capping in the EFL and football generally. There are many reasons why this wouldn't work, namely because Pogba & Co would be off to La Liga, China etc sharpish and the TV deal would collapse! The Premier League have a great deal with the TV deal but it has come at a cost to lower league football.

But, thinking about it further it wouldn't work anyway. Imagine if in the EFL Championship the cap was limited to a club's revenue, then the clubs with large fan bases i.e. Leeds, Massive etc would have a huge advantage over the rest of the league, similarly what's to stop some guy from Qatar or somewhere else paying say £30m for stadium naming rights and that be added to revenue as a way of bolstering the income?

Even if they found a fair system and said, for example, the cap is £500,000 a year then clubs could "incentivise" the better players to come to the club by creating agreements, outside of the club, with sponsorship and PR events, i.e. Mercedes pay you another £100,000 a year to drive their latest car?
Agree.
What's the answer to clubs spending more than they earn? Should a club be able to do this if it has a generous benefactor, after-all we have. Maybe it's the structure of the loans?
Let them spend what they like, but make it impossible for them to sell their ground without securing building a new ground first.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why not simply make a rule if your income is £1million a season you cannot spend anymore ???
That wouldn't stop someone like Archer stealing your ground.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here