VW

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
What VW did in the states was very blatant defeat device and the surprise is they got away with it for so long. They used the steering input sensor to disable the SCR system (which converts NOx in the exhaust into harmless gases). When on a rolling road during an emissions test, steering wheel doesn't move, so SCR is enabled, when on the road, the steering wheel is being used intermittently, SCR is disabled. The main reason for disabling SCR would be so the AdBlue tank only needed to be topped up at service, not by the driver more frequently which means that some related OBD rules could be avoided. Bosch who make the ECU and software specifically told VW that the steering input feature was only for development, not for production (during development it's normal to disable functions for various reasons). There is no conceivable legitimate reason to use steering input to disable SCR in production release software. In Europe the diesel emissions limits are easier to pass so there's less reason to try and cheat - but reports are they have cheated in Europe too. Most OEMs are pretty good on the corporate responsibility thing and don't bend the rules much but there are grey areas where the letter rather than the spirit of the law is worked to. However, the VW thing is utterly blatant and completely illegal.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Was in process of getting a very nice Audi for my next company car but am looking at other companies. I am sure they all push the rules but this is blatent deception of their customers so i am out

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My Audi is effected. Not too bothered really as I don't see how it will effect me apart from having to take the car in to be changed. I'll get them to do it when I have it serviced.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Was in process of getting a very nice Audi for my next company car but am looking at other companies. I am sure they all push the rules but this is blatent deception of their customers so i am out

I have to buy my own car once every six or so years and I'm thinking hard about a Diesel Audi A3 or a Golf. May be some bargains about and they are just as beautifully made today as they were yesterday.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have to buy my own car once every six or so years and I'm thinking hard about a Diesel Audi A3 or a Golf.

from what i've read in the fallout, anyone not doing several 10k's a year motorway miles should think hard about getting a diesel at all. they aren't suitable for short or urban use or cost effective over even moderately high mileage. the fuel will be taxed more now and we'll likely see some sort of diesel exclusion zones like town centers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports