Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Voter Identification.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Bad idea, that sounds reasonable but is purely designed to disenfranchise people. Our system works well as it is. Our electoral system is rigged enough with FPTP and the limited number of voters that actually make a difference in the outcome of an election.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I don’t think so..who doesn’t have ID?
If a polling card is sent to your address you clearly have ID. I have several forms of ID, My passport,my driving licence,my rail pass and my staff pass. How many people don’t have ID?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends on if it's photo I'D.
My dear old Mum has no passport, it ran out 10 or more years ago,and as she is now 90 years old with no inclination to travel abroad, why should she have one? She gave up driving 20 years ago when she was first diagnosed diabetic. She has no need for photo I'D.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Well, there could be perfectly valid reasons why people don't have ID. Many won't on principle. So what forms of ID are we talking about here?

Driving licence? Not everyone drives, and almost everyone over a certain age doesn't have a photocard version.
Passport? Not everyone has one as what's the point if you never travel?
Utility bills? What if you don't own a house and have them in your name?
Rail pass? Far from everyone has one.
Work pass? Most employers don't tend to provide photocard ID.

So there could be many reasons. Poverty. Disability. Marital circumstance. You might not be able to conceive of such scenarios but that just demonstrates a lack of imagination on your part more than anything. A Polling Card proves you're registered at that address on the electoral roll, but there is no ID required as part of any of that process.

Hmmmm.
National insurance card, NHS number, as for the people you speak of over a certain age, when driving licences are renewed they are issued with a photo graph now. Well I agree with voter ID, perhaps you don’t...ultimately it will be Parliament that decides.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Any attempt to restrict people from voting is pretty awful and undemocratic to be honest.

There were 2 (YES TWO) cases of voter fraud that were investigated in 2019 and resulted in conviction (four cases of electoral fraud in total) across the whole of the UK, a year that had a general election, and plenty of local elections. It's such a minimal non-problem the only reasonable logic for bringing in Voter ID is to make it more difficult to vote and therefore disenfranchising people.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
I agree with the disenfranchise points. It should be as easy as possible for anyone to vote. If this is needed, prove that voter fraud is a thing first.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t think so..who doesn’t have ID?
If a polling card is sent to your address you clearly have ID. I have several forms of ID, My passport,my driving licence,my rail pass and my staff pass. How many people don’t have ID?

Many pensioners, who have given up driving and no longer go on foreign holidays.
I ran into this problem when my Dad died and he had a small bank savings account with the TSB. My StepMum, 86 at the time, was unable to get his money due to no passport nor driving licence. The bank wouldn't accept any other form of ID.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
They did this in Pendle last time. The most common forms of acceptable i.d. were passport, driving licence, and pensioner's bus pass. More ibscure stuff like Ministry of Defence pass or EU i.d. card were on the list as well. If you don't have any of those cards you can pre-register for an official voter i.d. card.

www.pendle.gov.uk/newsroom/news/art..._at_the_local_elections_in_may_bring_photo_id

It was a complete waste of time, partly because the election staff were told not to challenge anyone in the same way as they were previously not to challenge obvious fraudulent voters, and partly because most of the electoral fraud is postal anyway. The scale of the problem is such that one Mayor of Burnley registered his own parents on the electoral roll even though they both lived in Pakistan and his mother had never even visited the UK. (He blamed his daughter. His opponent for the seat said that she was only doing what her father told her to, as all daughters should. It was all very tacky.)

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Depends on if it's photo I'D.
My dear old Mum has no passport, it ran out 10 or more years ago,and as she is now 90 years old with no inclination to travel abroad, why should she have one? She gave up driving 20 years ago when she was first diagnosed diabetic. She has no need for photo I'D.

Same as my old Duch, never driven,passport expired, she does however have a bus pass with a photo, as another poster has said, issue free voter ID.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
For someone that's got Churchill, the very leader that fought against fascism in his profile picture it sounds a bit fascist.

Are-We-The-Baddies.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Very little to do with voter fraud, much more to do with voter suppression. The Tories have done their sums

Interesting it brought by George W Bush in 2002, why does that not surprise me at all

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Many pensioners, who have given up driving and no longer go on foreign holidays.
I ran into this problem when my Dad died and he had a small bank savings account with the TSB. My StepMum, 86 at the time, was unable to get his money due to no passport nor driving licence. The bank wouldn't accept any other form of ID.

Yes indeed, there will be problems to overcome,it is perfectly workable in time for 2023.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A vote is meant to be a secret ballot isn't it?

So why when I vote, I'm given a ballot paper with a number written on it , the number is then written on a piece of paper beside my name.
If the authorities, big brother whatever, wanted to know which way I voted in this 'secret ballot' they could find out quite easily.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes indeed, there will be problems to overcome,it is perfectly workable in time for 2023.

Waste of money, considering how many cases there have been in this country. I think this government has got a lot more to worry about than voter fraud.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
It would absolutely have to be free to voters to get the card - otherwise there will be poorer people that decide it is not a spending priority of theirs to spend money on a voter ID card.

In 2019, there were 592 alleged cases of alleged voter fraud (161 in that year's general election, from 32 million votes). Of the 592 cases of alleged voter fraud nearly 62% resulted in no further action.

Therefore, I tend to feel that voting ID cards are much of a fuss over nothing.

I hear that Trump wants to know what state that was in and is now trying to get the result cancelled.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Very little to do with voter fraud, much more to do with voter suppression. The Tories have done their sums

Interesting it brought by George W Bush in 2002, why does that not surprise me at all
Who are the people most likely to vote? Pensioners.
Who are the people most likely to have no photo i.d.? Pensioners.

Your typical "working class Labour voter who works 40 hours a week" has a car and goes on foreign holidays nowadays.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

odd you characterise this as a Tory or even American idea, both usually against the idea, when its a widespread concept across the world.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Trouble is there is no single official way to identify yourself in this country. Everything that can be used to prove identity isn't intended for the purpose. (Driving license is to show you're allowed to drive, passport is to show your nationality etc and so on.)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here