[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Unbelievable how anyone can want this government to have another term after the last 13 years.
Apart from COVID and the energy price upheaval.... the last 13 years have been mostly good for me and my family on a day to day basis.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Apart from COVID and the energy price upheaval.... the last 13 years have been mostly good for me and my family on a day to day basis.
Sometimes I wish I could look at life like that, ignoring my eyes and ears and simply say I'm alright jack...

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
And don't forget if the local, untrained amateur goon checking your passport photo doesn't think the picture looks like you then "sorry, no can do, off you pop".

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Unbelievable how anyone can want this government to have another term after the last 13 years.
I thought this the other day.

I've always had a preference at elections but could see why people might vote differently. At the next election I'll be truly and utterly baffled by anyone voting for the current crew.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The sort of 18-25 year old that doesn't earn enough money to learn to drive, never mind run a car, or go on foreign holidays. Also the sort of voter that would vote for a party that isn't the Conservatives.
The sort of 18-25 year old that doesn't earn enough money to learn to drive, never mind run a car, or go on foreign holidays, want to go to gigs, clubs, the cinema, some PL football matches, buy a lottery ticket, buy a Young Person's raicard, purchase any other age-restricted products and services.........you're running out of poor, victimised young Labour voters (not counting the fact that some of them might vote conservative anyway!)

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
And don't forget if the local, untrained amateur goon checking your passport photo doesn't think the picture looks like you then "sorry, no can do, off you pop".
That's inventing a problem that isn't going to happen. Poll clerks will be told that they shouldn't reject any voter who turns up with valid i.d. in the right name, just as they were previously told not to challenge even obvious cases of personation. Back in the day they had police officers on the door of every polling station to help ensure the reliability of elections; no longer. Poll clerks can't be expected to do the police's job.

Anyway, if they aren't closing the coach-and-horses gaps in postal voting security, there is no point faffing about with voter i.d.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
That's inventing a problem that isn't going to happen. Poll clerks will be told that they shouldn't reject any voter who turns up with valid i.d. in the right name, just as they were previously told not to challenge even obvious cases of personation. Back in the day they had police officers on the door of every polling station to help ensure the reliability of elections; no longer. Poll clerks can't be expected to do the police's job.

Anyway, if they aren't closing the coach-and-horses gaps in postal voting security, there is no point faffing about with voter i.d.
Yes, but the official Government Voter Id information states that you need a new Government Voter Id pass if the photo on your passport/driving licence doesn't look like you.

Why state that if they don't assess it when you vote ?

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Not when you look at the alternative! Agree the Government have been useless though. We really are in a terrible state politically. Labour are truly dreadful but will get in simply as the lesser of 2 evils I expect.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The sort of 18-25 year old that doesn't earn enough money to learn to drive, never mind run a car, or go on foreign holidays, want to go to gigs, clubs, the cinema, some PL football matches, buy a lottery ticket, buy a Young Person's raicard, purchase any other age-restricted products and services.........you're running out of poor, victimised young Labour voters (not counting the fact that some of them might vote conservative anyway!)
You know they're not even handed, why defend them?

The fact of the matter is the Tory base is dying, their appeal is becoming more and more limited mostly to the over 60's. Like their Republican cousins in the US they are reaching the point the only way they can win in through jerrymandering, removal of check and balances aided by voter surpression.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
I was a Presiding Officer on polling stations for many years and absolutely loved it.
I am so glad I am now retired as I don’t envy anyone doing it this year😱

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
It's garbage and has been introduced to hopefully reduce the anti-tory vote. Pathetic vote rigging. Our elections have been and continue to be safe and secure, something to be proud of in this country for a change.
I really want to see an end to this shambolic Govt. - but I actually fail to see how proving who you are when you turn up to vote is wrong.

If we saw an election in West Africa where people just turned up and literally just said who they are (you don't actually need to have you card with you) we'd cry foul?

You need photo ID to collect a parcel from the post office!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I really want to see an end to this shambolic Govt. - but I actually fail to see how proving who you are when you turn up to vote is wrong.

If we saw an election in West Africa where people just turned up and literally just said who they are (you don't actually need to have you card with you) we'd cry foul?

You need photo ID to collect a parcel from the post office!
But here here is almost zero evidence of voter fraud, one proven case was it?

In France everyone has an ID card and you need it to vote, here that's not the case here. Bring in ID cards first if they really think its a problem....

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
But here here is almost zero evidence of voter fraud, one proven case was it?

In France everyone has an ID card and you need it to vote, here that's not the case here. Bring in ID cards first if they really think its a problem....
I'm all in favour of ID Cards too.

Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.

I'd also have a National database for DNA - how helpful would that be for solving crime?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Hard evidence the Tories are engaging in voter suppression. They have since withdrawn the leaflet realising they can't get away with this stuff unoticed.

Will the Electoral commission now act?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Not accepting these. Funny that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Asked by someone for Voter ID outside the polling station.

I asked them to ID themselves first, he told me her was a clerk, I then reminded them all clerks should not be stepping outside the polling station.

Clearly turning individuals away with no ID and not recording them. Not great...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports