[Politics] Voter Identification.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
This is interesting and something that came up in discussion with some mates the other day. We were speculating that people in the older demographic, which votes heavily Tory, are less likely to drive and have a passport than your average 18-70 year old. Also, the Conservative these days seem to now be targeting working-class voters, who are also less likely to have ID. Could backfire massively.
If it means we have a fair and equitable voting system, that’s the priority. One person, one vote.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I had a letter from B&HCC at the end of January about this. You can use:

UK Passport
A passport issued by an EEA state or Commonwealth country
Driving License including provisional
EEA ID card
A biometric immigration document
Older person's bus pass
Disabled person's bus pass
A blue badge
A PASS card (whatever that is?)

If you haven't got one of those then you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC), which you need to apply for by the 25th April.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I had a letter from B&HCC at the end of January about this. You can use:

UK Passport
A passport issued by an EEA state or Commonwealth country
Driving License including provisional
EEA ID card
A biometric immigration document
Older person's bus pass
Disabled person's bus pass
A blue badge
A PASS card (whatever that is?)

If you haven't got one of those then you can apply for a free Voter Authority Certificate (VAC), which you need to apply for by the 25th April.
PASS card are prove your 18 ID cards.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There is a massive media campaign all over social media. You can’t miss the adverts about it.

I don’t do social media, I can honestly say I have not seen one thing about it. And I consider myself fairly switched on. I won’t be the only one that’s missed this “massive media campaign”.

Like The Clamp, I haven't actually seen this being advertised or promoted anywhere. If it weren't for NSC I wouldn't actually know about it. I mentioned it to a few people last week - none of whom had heard about it.

@The Clamp - I guess NSC is a form of social media??

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I don’t do social media, I can honestly say I have not seen one thing about it. And I consider myself fairly switched on. I won’t be the only one that’s missed this “massive media campaign”.
Did you forget we had a thread running on this last month 🙂

Belated apologies to the OP
Of this thread btw - had no idea there was already a thread from a few years back when I started the Photo ID thread in January - as this is an ongoing issue, maybe the threads should be merged @Bozza ?

Edit - just noticed the thread starter is banned so apology withdrawn 🙄

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Deliberate, targeted attempt by the venal, corrupt filth running this country to disenfranchise the young, who don't read newspapers much, are therefore far less likely to recycle the 'views' of four unelected right wing billionaire press barons as their own, and therefore don't vote Tory to any great degree. Why else bus passes and not student cards? Blatant voter suppression which will be remembered by future generations ....

Last edited:

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Deliberate, targeted attempt by the venal, corrupt filth running this country to disenfranchise the young, who don't read newspapers much, are therefore far less likely to recycle the 'views' of four unelected right wing billionaire press barons as their own, and therefore don't vote Tory to any great degree. Why else buss passes and not student cards? Blatant electioneering. Will be remembered by future generations ....
What’s your point- not entirely obvious

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Did you forget we had a thread running on this last month 🙂
I was referring to this so called "massive media campaign". Of which I have seen nothing. Of course I was aware we now needed ID, I keep a close eye on what the current, highly corrupt government are up to.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
I assume we can ask for identification from those manning the polling stations prior to casting vote?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Twaddle. The Tories are devious, well versed in the dark arts of politicking and are up to all sorts - but they've stopped millions of us form voting? Cobblers! Strangely, millions of us haven't noticed and will turn up and vote (for whatever party we choose) as usual.
Well the electoral commission estimate around 1.9m do not have the correct ID. A recent FOM request said so far only 10,000 have applied for voter ID.

So far so good for the Tories.

Incidentally has anyone seen or heard any government communication on this? The cynic in me will ensure it skewed away from the young and poor who they want to suppress

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I had to have photo ID to get into Palace on Saturday.

I had to have photo ID to collect a parcel from the sorting office yesterday.

Really - what is the problem?
So lets say you used an Oyster card for photo ID is at Palace.

Would they Smellhurst say, "sorry mate you're 25, you're not coming in?"

Just make ID cards compulsory, then you can have you Voter ID so everyone who can vote, will be able to vote...

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well the electoral commission estimate around 1.9m do not have the correct ID. A recent FOM request said so far only 10,000 have applied for voter ID.

So far so good for the Tories.

Incidentally has anyone seen or heard any government communication on this? The cynic in me will ensure it skewed away from the young and poor who they want to suppress
Fair rnough - but that 1.9 million figure does surprise me - 1.9 million who don't have a passport or driving licence I would have thought, but with all the other acceptable forms of ID I'd have expected that to cover a lot more people. You're right though, that the changes haven't so far been trumpeted far and wide.
Still, that 1.9 - minus those who have or will apply for voter ID - is a very small number compared to the many who can't be arsed to vote at all!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
So lets say you used an Oyster card for photo ID is at Palace.

Would they Smellhurst say, "sorry mate you're 25, you're not coming in?"

Just make ID cards compulsory, then you can have you Voter ID so everyone who can vote, will be able to vote...

100% agree that ID cards should be compulsory.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
There is a massive media campaign all over social media. You can’t miss the adverts about it.
Ha! That's like the episode of the Simpsons where Bart doesn't know it's PE sign-up day.
"How could you have forgotten?" says Lisa, "There were posters all over the library!"

(For those of you don't watch the Simpsons the joke is Bart would never go to the library so therefore he wouldn't have seen the posters)

I'm not on social media (except for NSC) and apart from this thread I haven't seen any adverts saying that ID is now required. I'd heard that they were bringing it in, but I didn't realise it was a 'done deal' and would apply to the elections in May. Maybe I'm just a bit unobservant (ok, yes I am as things often pass me by), but for something as important as this a written communication would have been nice. Maybe they'll tell us when they send out the polling cards.

EDIT: I see @The Clamp is in the same boat.
EDIT2: According to @Winker B&HCC have indeed sent a letter. Fair enough. I honestly don't remember receiving it, (otherwise I wouldn't have posted and made myself look a twat) which is either my memory or it never turned up.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sending out informatino with the polling cards seems to the obvious and efficient way to communicate the requirement. i wonder how many people know there's a local election until they come through.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As GT49er says. The majority of people have some photo ID. If not you can apply for a confirmation certificate. So really what is all the bleating about?
It still costs to get a confirmation certificate unless you know any photo booths to get a passport photo which don't charge.

Nobody should have to pay anything in order to register their vote.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports