Volcanic Eruption In Iceland, Uk Flights Cancelled, Some Airports Closed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You are close to the zone where flights are allowed and yet down here in Sussex it is a beautiful day with a clear blue sky and yet this is a danger area to fly through. I believe the over reaction by NATS has become farcical especially when France, Holland and Germany are flying again

I agree.....

What price one of these BA flights bound for LHR accidently landing in LHR even if told not to?

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
You are close to the zone where flights are allowed and yet down here in Sussex it is a beautiful day with a clear blue sky and yet this is a danger area to fly through. I believe the over reaction by NATS has become farcical especially when France, Holland and Germany are flying again

Flights left from Newcastle today, not sure if Manchester got any out though

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I believe the over reaction by NATS has become farcical especially when France, Holland and Germany are flying again

the joke in the Daily mash about blaming the Met Office might have a hint of truth about it. they are relying on computer models of where the ash is and will be, not actually using observations or flying recon planes to find where the ash is. Apparently their aircraft for such things happens to be in the garage this past week. (assuming it would be allowed to take off....)

or put another way, they dont know what the f*** is going on.

but they'll tell you we a due a barbecue summer and climate change will do 34 things.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
10 Speedbirds now heading for Heathrow and 2 for Gatwick.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Call sign for BA planes. Roger, over.

[yt]http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EcWLbDS56u8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EcWLbDS56u8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
10 Speedbirds now heading for Heathrow and 2 for Gatwick.

well going by the update from Nats

Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 1500
The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish and Northern Irish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1900 today to 0100 tomorrow, Wednesday 21 April, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Glasgow and Teesside airports will additionally become available in this time period. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Flights above the ash cloud are now permitted in the UK; between 1900 today and 0100 tomorrow, this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 2100 today.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

I bet they are diverted to Glasgow

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
All still on track. Bit of a mystery this.
It's a bit like the scene from Wargames where the computer is trying various scenarios of launching ICBM's and showing the ballistic tracks.

[yt]http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4wk6jSNZU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/m4wk6jSNZU8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/yt]

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Nothing moving below 34000ft over Nats airspace.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Anyone else on cancelled flights having any difficulties with their travel insurance company?

I was due to fly to Perth, and then an internal flight to Melbourne. The first flight the airline could offer me, to get to Perth, would have been a day before the departure to Melbourne. Therefore I have booked on a direct flight to Melbourne and the airline have cancelled my Perth to Melbourne flight. From what I can gather, I am, under the terms of my insurance, entitled to at least a cover for the delays, and possibly a refund for the cancelled flight, but they are not allowing me ANYTHING!!

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Why not use the Delorean. :thumbsup:

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Anyone else on cancelled flights having any difficulties with their travel insurance company?

I was due to fly to Perth, and then an internal flight to Melbourne. The first flight the airline could offer me, to get to Perth, would have been a day before the departure to Melbourne. Therefore I have booked on a direct flight to Melbourne and the airline have cancelled my Perth to Melbourne flight. From what I can gather, I am, under the terms of my insurance, entitled to at least a cover for the delays, and possibly a refund for the cancelled flight, but they are not allowing me ANYTHING!!

i assume most will use it as an 'act of god' to get out of paying.

i've been told with reference to some of our flights, that although the insurance haven't said they will pay out, they haven't said they won't either, and to just submit the claim and see...

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec

i've been told with reference to some of our flights, that although the insurance haven't said they will pay out, they haven't said they won't either, and to just submit the claim and see...

I'm having enough difficulty getting a claim form out of these bastards. I've phoned three times since 4pm yesterday and they still haven't sent it. That's despite saying they'll Email it straight after the call. Jokers.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My daughter's flight from Dubai -> Gatwick, due to leave Dubai at 2:50am tonight has just been cancelled :(

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008

If any company uses "act of god" as an excuse ask them to prove the existance of god. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sky News showing a BA 747 on the move at 'closed' Heathrow and 26 long haul flights en route hoping for 'special dispensation' to land, with the first one in at 7:12pm.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports