Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Volcanic Eruption In Iceland, Uk Flights Cancelled, Some Airports Closed

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Very misty (or ashy) in BN3 at the moment and yet the sky is supposed to be clear according to our friends in the Met Office.

everyone is thinking there's ash about, but its more likely pollen or general pollution. i read today that volcanic ash had been detected on the gorund "as far south as Oxfordshire", sort of suggests there none in BN (or theres nothing to detect it?)

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Oh f***ing GREAT

I'm only entitled to change the flight THERE and not the return flight and of course the next flight there is totally overbooked meaning I can choose to take a poxy FOUR day holiday or give up all together and claim half the money back.

What a bucket of shit. How do people get away with this? I can appreciate the massive hassle this must cause for the airlines BUT my first holiday in SEVEN years has been ruined and there's nothing I can do.

f*** it

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Oh f***ing GREAT

I'm only entitled to change the flight THERE and not the return flight and of course the next flight there is totally overbooked meaning I can choose to take a poxy FOUR day holiday or give up all together and claim half the money back.

What a bucket of shit. How do people get away with this? I can appreciate the massive hassle this must cause for the airlines BUT my first holiday in SEVEN years has been ruined and there's nothing I can do.

f*** it

Tell me about it, I get invited to a 2 day international Subbuteo tournament in Malta, only had to pay for my flight, all accomodation covered and now its looking unlikely I will be going. Looks like I will be off to Arbroath instead, what a great alternative :tantrum:

Still, maybe the flights might start again, not fussed if I get stuck out there :)

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Oh f***ing GREAT

f*** it

What would you like them to do about it and what people are you referring to getting away with something?

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I'm hoping the volcano calms down and the ash disperses before next Thursday (29th) as I'm due to fly from Toronto back to Blighty for two weeks holiday and my annual attendance for the last game of the season. The way things are at the moment, I may be shit out of luck. :down:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 0245

Since our last statement at 2100 (local time) yesterday, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is variable. The information shows that Scottish airsports should be available from 0700 (local time) and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 (local time) although not as far south as the main London airports.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 0900 (local time), today, Tuesday 20 April.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Statement on Icelandic volcanic eruption: Tuesday April 20, 0900
The situation regarding the volcanic eruption in Iceland remains dynamic and the latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation today will continue to be variable.

Based on the latest Met Office information, part of Scottish airspace including Aberdeen, Inverness and Edinburgh airports will continue to be available from 1300-1900 today, and also south to Newcastle Airport. Restrictions will remain in place over the rest of UK airspace below 20,000ft.

Overnight the CAA, in line with new guidance from the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) decided flights above the ash cloud will be permitted in the UK; between 1300-1900 this will enable aircraft movements above 20,000ft in UK airspace.

We will continue to monitor Met Office information and the situation is likely to change during the course of the day. We will make a further statement at approximately 1500.

NATS is maintaining close dialogue with the Met Office and with the UK's safety regulator, the CAA, in respect of the international civil aviation policy we follow in applying restrictions to use of airspace.

We are working closely with Government, airports and airlines, and airframe and aero engine manufacturers to get a better understanding of the effects of the ash cloud and to seek solutions.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Waiting to book up a holiday in mid May, thinking I'll hold off a while longer

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Three BA flights from the west coast of America appear to be in the air and bound for LHR.
Will they make it, will they be diverted? Ex Mrs Skipper and Jnr. are booked for Thursday, Fingers crossed.
Can't see it myself, until the weekend when the Jet stream moves.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Three BA flights from the west coast of America appear to be in the air and bound for LHR.
Will they make it, will they be diverted? Ex Mrs Skipper and Jnr. are booked for Thursday, Fingers crossed.
Can't see it myself, until the weekend when the Jet stream moves.

Why do I think these are Guinea Pigs?

If they land in LHR they will open the air

bhafc_ross

Feb 21, 2009
Brighton
1011 Brian Flynn of Eurocontrol, which regulates Europe's airspace, offers crumbs of comfort among all the doom and gloom. He says 75% of the land mass of Europe is open, which will allows about 50-60% of the flights to operate.

He adds: "The outlook is optimistic that bit by bit, hopefully in a few days' time, the situation will be restored to normal movement of air passengers in Europe."

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Waiting to book up a holiday in mid May, thinking I'll hold off a while longer

go ahead and book - just use ferry & train. my parents went ahead with their holiday to Switzerland on Saturday by rail.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Maybe they are empty, or dead heading (o-er Mrs) and relocating, or stuffed full of Guinea Pigs.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

LINK please. i think we're all about to become plane spotters :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here