Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Volcanic Eruption In Iceland, Uk Flights Cancelled, Some Airports Closed

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
quite, easy. i'd not be getting on a plane that they'd decided sod it we'll fly anyway.

mrs starry and the seven little starrys are still stuck, never has this house been so silent.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I would fly tomorrow if they let me!:clap2: Wasn't it a case that the two flights that had trouble with Ash were both flying through a rather thick cloud of ash i.e practically above the volcano at the time?

I'm all for safety but I think this has gone over the top a bit!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
How long before the airlines say sod it and start flying anyway? Seem to be making strong noises towards that sort of thing

NATS [National Air Trafic Services] are the controllers of all UK airspace.
They have ultimate responsibility for air safety as they are part of the CAA's SRG [Safety Regulation Group] department (I used to work for them)
NOTHING takes off or enters UK airspace without their express CONSENT.
So the idea of a plane taking off without ATC guidence ... not a chance, it would never happen.

And it's NATS that are saying no-fly ....

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
They have ultimate responsibility for air safety as they are part of the CAA's SRG [Safety Regulation Group] department (I used to work for them)
So the idea of a plane taking off without ATC guidence ... not a chance, it would never happen.

but the airlines are putting increasing pressure on the authorities including all their test flights. Will they cave to the pressure. Personally I don't think they will but it was just a thought

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Rumours of...

UK airspace will be progressively reopened tomorrow.

Scottish airspace will open at 0600

Midlands at 1200

Southern UK at 1800

Northern France and German airspace are likely to remain closed tomorrow.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Maybe not...

European air navigation providers are recommending re-opening of airspace and the resumption of flights by 08:00UTC tomorrow.

The recommendation has been put forward during an operational teleconference involving air traffic control providers today, says air navigation services organisation CANSO.

"They have suggested there is enough information to begin resuming flights tomorrow," says a spokesman for CANSO.

CANSO states that the statement is only a recommendation, and that a final decision must be taken at government level.

Director general Graham Lake adds: "We should caution that it will take several days for operations to return to normal."

He adds that there is no clear indication as to the extent to which airspace will be re-opened.

UK air navigation service NATS states that meteorological advisories state that the Icelandic volcano Eyjafjallajoekull is "less active than previously", although UK airspace will remain shut at least until midnight on 20 April.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

apparently they dont control smaller airfields such as Biggin Hill, so it seems its not quite as clear cut as we are led to believe. Maybe it only applies at a certain hieght?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Rumours of...

UK airspace will be progressively reopened tomorrow.

Scottish airspace will open at 0600

Midlands at 1200

Southern UK at 1800

Northern France and German airspace are likely to remain closed tomorrow.

sky news reporting this now also... fingers very very crossed!!

D

Deleted User X18H

BBC confirm Airspace in Scotland and far north to reopen at 0700 tomorrow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here